WMP 11 and WMPNSCFG.exe

stumped

Oct 20, 2006, 2:02:01 AM10/20/06
I have disabled the automatic start of this program everywhere I could find
it...(manage add-ons, sys config, services, etc). I don't share files and am
not on a network. I have clearly chosen not to have this background service
running. However, each time I start WMP 11...it puts this program back into
the 'at startup' in sys config. Very irritating. What can I do to shut this
thing down for good...short of uninstalling and returning to WMP 10 ?

zachd [ms]

Oct 20, 2006, 9:16:01 PM10/20/06

Are you using the Network Sharing Service... ? That file is part of it.
I'd imagine if you disable/turn off that service you should be fine.

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"stumped" <stu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

stumped

Oct 21, 2006, 4:19:02 AM10/21/06
No..as stated, I am sharing no files (and selected that when setting it up).
Have disableled every instance of it...but, when you start the media
player...it automatically puts wmpnscfg.exe back in the start-up of sys
config...and starts calling home.

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Oct 23, 2006, 5:32:05 PM10/23/06

Please look at Quesiotn #13 in the section on WMP9, Zach'd site :
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#wmp9

If you've disabled everything else, that's the one thing which remains
that I could explain your symptom with.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs

stumped

Oct 23, 2006, 8:57:02 PM10/23/06
No...no virus or trojan. In checking the internet for answers...this is a
very popular question. The problem is..this was designed into wmp11....can't
stop it. For people who don't care what is running in the background, this is
no big deal. However, if you play on-line games...you certainly pay attention
to whats going on....and what is being communicated/gathered, etc.
Personally, I don't trust it and am going back to wmp10...if I don't lose all
my music.
The year of Big Brother is near.

PS..Nice website

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Oct 24, 2006, 2:37:28 PM10/24/06
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:57:02 -0700, stumped
<stu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No...no virus or trojan. In checking the internet for answers...this is a
>very popular question. The problem is..this was designed into wmp11....can't

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not here, but I'll bite this once.

WMP doesn't automatically start, so again I'd advise that virus scan.
There is a background service which does run, to do with the media
sharing (used to be windows media connnect, it's now built in).

Other than that, if it's starting up inexplicably, something is wrong
with your system

stumped

Oct 24, 2006, 5:07:02 PM10/24/06
Ah..'what we have here, is failure to communicate'..lol. I read #13 (that's
why I said 'nice site'. I never meant to say WMP starts up automatically...I
said WMPNSCFG>EXE does. You can't kill it. Try this...disable 'file sharing
in wmp...stop wmpnscfg.exe in sys configuration...disable media sharing in
sys tools....block the 2 instances of browser add ons. Restart your computer
and check task manager...NO wmpnscfg.exe!! Hooray! NOW start media
player...then turn it off. NOW check task manager again. What do you see?
WMPNSCFG>EXE
Or as I like to call it...Big Brother

stumped

Oct 24, 2006, 7:04:02 PM10/24/06

"stumped" wrote:

> Ah..'what we have here, is failure to communicate'..lol. I read #13 (that's
> why I said 'nice site'. I never meant to say WMP starts up automatically...I
> said WMPNSCFG>EXE does. You can't kill it. Try this...disable 'file sharing
> in wmp...stop wmpnscfg.exe in sys configuration...disable media sharing in
> sys tools....block the 2 instances of browser add ons. Restart your computer
> and check task manager...NO wmpnscfg.exe!! Hooray! NOW start media
> player...then turn it off. NOW check task manager again. What do you see?

> WMPNSCFG>EXE Check sys config..what do you see..WMPNSCFG.EXE !

stumped

Oct 24, 2006, 7:06:02 PM10/24/06
Also, check sys config for start-up programs...what do you see? WMPNSCFG>EXE

James Dooley [MSFT]

Oct 25, 2006, 3:01:44 PM10/25/06
To exit that app, run (Note that "/Close" is case sensitive):
"\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe" /Close

To make it not run again, open the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\HME and set the
DWORD value DisableDiscovery to 2. If you had a UPnP Media Renderer or
control point on your local network, you'd also be able to disable it by
right-clicking on its taskbar icon (which only shows if it finds a UPnP
Media Renderer or control point) and choose "Disable Future Notifications".

As to why it starts running when you've disabled media sharing, that's a bug
in WMP 11 Beta2.

--
James Dooley
Development Lead

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Oct 25, 2006, 4:50:02 PM10/25/06
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:07:02 -0700, stumped
<stu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ah..'what we have here, is failure to communicate'..lol. I read #13 (that's

OK, agreed ;-)

>why I said 'nice site'. I never meant to say WMP starts up automatically...I
>said WMPNSCFG>EXE does. You can't kill it. Try this...disable 'file sharing

Right, I didn't see that caus I rarely look at the title for
diagnostic info in newsgroup posts.

Yes, you're right that you can't kill it, and it's been raised before.

Even if you stop it in the task manager's process list, it's straight
back there when you restart WMP. In addition, you'll find that killing
or disabling the dependencies in the Services list (making it Stop and
Disabled on startup) have no effect.

That process though is to do with the media library sharing designed
to be used as a total replacement for windows media connect. It allows
[local] network discovery of the media library by a wide ecosystem of
networked music players like Roku, X360 and so on.

While I'm not sure I can see why it can't be killed, I can see why it
should run in most instances.

Coming from a Unix background though, I'm deeply suspicious about
processes which I can neither stop (or keep killed off), but which
defaultly expose a listening port as a server - since this is always a
good route for a system compromise due to unaudited security holes.

Since WMP11 RTM is due out about .... now, you're SOL I'm afraid and
you'll have to wait for WMP12 before you can make your feelings
usefully known again.

stumped

Oct 25, 2006, 8:56:03 PM10/25/06
It's fixed!! No more WMPNSCFG.EXE when I use the media player! The
response/solution from James Dooley worked.....Just changed the registry
dword to 2 and all fixed.

stumped

Oct 25, 2006, 8:58:01 PM10/25/06
Thank you so much Mr. Dooley....that fixed it!

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Oct 26, 2006, 5:11:12 PM10/26/06
Yay ! One for the log book ;-)

Cheers - Neil

BrokenRhino

Nov 3, 2006, 3:32:06 PM11/3/06
What is WMP11 RTM??

On Oct 26, 4:11 pm, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <n...@nospam.com>
wrote:

> Digital Media MVP : 2004-2006http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Mike Williams

Nov 3, 2006, 3:35:20 PM11/3/06
RTM= Released To Manufacturing

aka the released or golden version

"BrokenRhino" <Broke...@gmail.com> wrote in message

MR_GRIMM

Nov 7, 2006, 10:34:01 PM11/7/06
FYI: This is a bug in the WMP 11 RTM Version 11.0.5721.5145.

Upgraded from WMP 10 and there is NO WAY (except registry manipulation
described)
to stop WMPNSCFG.EXE from reappearing in your Startup under
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE).

1 - I unchecked the "Share my media" checkbox in WMP 11 Library Options.
2 - Stopped and Disabled "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
(WMPNetworkSvc).
3 - Removed WMPNSCFG.EXE from my Startup.

However, as soon as I launched WMP 11, it put WMPNSCFG.EXE back into my
Startup.

Question:
I don't have a DisableDiscovery key in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\HME.

I do have a DisableBrowse key. Should I add the DisableDiscovery key or
change the DisableBrowse key?

Thanks...

2harts4ever

Nov 14, 2006, 10:05:01 PM11/14/06
Hi James,

Thank you ... thank you ... thank you. Your fix worked for me too.

Regards,

2harts4ever
--
" ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I''m Smiling Too."

aquarius

Dec 6, 2006, 7:19:00 PM12/6/06
Mr. Dooley, a lot of people have benefited from your reply. Thank you. Some
people, including MVPs, tend to talk about viruses right at the beginning
before understanding the problem. You did, and your solution has worked -
that in itself was very refreshing.

I have two quick questions which I hope you would answer.
(1) This registry key (which many have had to create, to make your solution
work) is in HKCU. Is there a comparable registry key in HKLM, which can be
set and will be useful for all users?
(2) Once the value is set to 2, will WMP11 recognize a portable device when
attached?

Some responders seem to think that this is a bug in the beta 2. But I
installed my WMP11 today through Microsoft Update, and it seems the final
release version. Though my network sharing option is unchecked, I still have
the same problem as everyone else with the wmpnscfg.exe file.

Thanks in advance,

aquarius

jecouch66

Dec 15, 2006, 9:12:17 PM12/15/06

aquarius;2382158 Wrote:

> Some responders seem to think that this is a bug in the beta 2. But I
> installed my WMP11 today through Microsoft Update, and it seems the
> final
> release version. Though my network sharing option is unchecked, I still
> have
> the same problem as everyone else with the wmpnscfg.exe file.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> aquarius

Okay, I have the same problem with the version I have installed
(11.0.5721.5144). The fix from James Dooley worked for me as well, but
wanted to second the opinion of Aquarius that it happened on my machine
as well. What's odd, though, is that I have 3 machines at home and one
at work, and only my primary home machine had the issue. I did install
the beta version on the machines, but as I said, only the one exhibited
the issue when I moved to the released version. Also, I uninstalled the
beta version prior to putting on the new one. To be more accurate, I
reverted to a previous image. Again, though, I did so with all the
machines. Odd behavior, but I'm certainly glad to have the fix and
will pass it around as I have seen others with the same problem. I
love the new Media Player and it's style, by the way. I think they did
a great job.

John

--
jecouch66
jecouch66's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=20201

http://forums.techarena.in

DEP destroys by sandra_marcoux@yahoo.com

Nov 24, 2007, 10:50:00 AM11/24/07

something is wrong with her Vista system! What a SUPRISE!$##@!Q

DEP destroys by sandra_marcoux@yahoo.com

Nov 24, 2007, 10:53:00 AM11/24/07
I have the best advice, If you dont want to spend the next year or two
wasting time on editing your registry to turn off a security leak....wipe
your hard drive clean and have LINUX Ubuntu installed, or XP
Sara

zachd [MSFT]

Nov 26, 2007, 1:41:39 AM11/26/07

Grimm: you would create the value under the key. James is speaking as a
developer and thought it would make sense to you to since to "us" it's
common shorthand. Sorry.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"DEP destroys by sandra_...@yahoo.com"
<DEPdestroysbysand...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:06BF9846-B467-44C8...@microsoft.com...

Ali

Sep 16, 2008, 3:17:00 AM9/16/08
I can't get this to work for me...
I don't have DisableDiscovery, but do have DisableBrowse, which i changed to
2.
I still don't understand the run part... To exit that app, run (Note that
"/Close" is case sensitive): "\Program Files\Windows Media
Player\wmpnscfg.exe" /Close
I open run and past the line ( "\Program Files\Windows Media
Player\wmpnscfg.exe" /Close ) and nothing happens.
Please help. I am running vista if that helps...
Thanks.