Turn off multi-monitor full-screen mode

Jon Davis

Mar 8, 2006, 5:02:13 PM3/8/06
I'm looking for an option checkbox or a registry value or a driver to
uninstall or something, somewhere, someway, somehow, to safely disable the
full-screen mode for my second monitor when viewing a video through Windows
Media player, without crippling or uninstalling Media Player.

Specifically, I would like to have Channel 9 videos (as an example) running
in their web pages in the background while I do my work. But it keeps taking
over my second screen where I'm actually doing my work! Plus these videos
are small and don't stretch so I get a blank, black screen with a little
tiny video in the middle. It's not only annoying, I'm more concerned about
people walking by and questioning me; my conscious is clean but I don't want
to deal with that. Needless to say, I have to watch all technical training
videos, demonstrations, anything work-related in .wmv format, at home or
when I am not trying to multi-task (work).

<rant>I've asked this before, I'm asking again because I won't take "you
can't" as an answer. It's gotta be doable, and if not then it should be
added!</rant> Is there an alternative player that is compatible with the
Channel 9 videos (et al) that doesn't use the Media Player API?

I'm using Media Player 10. Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
Jon

Jon Davis

Mar 8, 2006, 5:16:03 PM3/8/06
OK I found an answer in a roundabout way. Someone asked a different question and someone replied and linked to a FAQ that happened to answer my question as well.

Q: Why does video immediately go to full-screen mode no matter what?
A: You have the Clone setting set under your NVidia drivers NView settings. Turn that off and you should be happier.

I don't have NView settings as such, but I do have an nVidia video chipset (GeForce4 440 Go) and did find the equivalent in my Advanced options (under Display control panel), "GeForce4 440 Go" tab, "Overlay Controls", "Full Screen Device", set to Disable.

I'm happy now. No more ranting. Unless I just broke something..... but then I'll rant on nVidia's newsgroups (if they have 'em). :P :)

Jon