Slipstream WinMe (Custom Install CD)

SeaSpeeder

Dec 29, 2004, 6:27:03 AM12/29/04
Is it possible to slipstream Windows Me to create a custom install CD that is
already updated with IE 6 SP1 and other Windows Updates? You can do this with
certain versions of Office, and I've heard you can do it with Windows XP.
What about Windows Me? Does it matter if my CD is oem or retail?

Where could I learn about how to create a custom updated Windows Me CD?
Having such a CD would make reinstalling Windows easier. The biggest problem
I have with installing Windows is that it puts IE 5.5 overtop IE 6, and
sometimes Windows won't reinstall, it reinstalls with errors, or it
reinstalls with a corrupt browser and no internet access. I'm hoping a
slipstreamed CD that already has IE 6 on there will prevent these problems.

--
SYSTEM: Windows Me, IE 5.5, 384MB SDRAM PC100/133, DFI PA61 PII Mainboard,
Katmai 550MHz Pentium III CPU, Dial-up & DSL Modems. Ethernet Network

Mike M

Dec 29, 2004, 6:57:49 AM12/29/04
Slipstreaming normally relates to the integration of a service pack with
the original RTM distribution. The problem with what you propose,
especially in so far as IE6 is involved, is that no service pack has ever,
nor will be, issued for Win Me so what you want to do will be extremely
difficult if not impossible. Certainly various straightforward hotfixes
could be incorporated in such a CD, for example the 290700 patch for
system restore, by adding them to the folder containing the cab files but
not I believe IE6. Similarly drivers can be added. A useful tool here,
although unsupported for Win Me, is MSBatch.inf from the Win 98 Resource
Kit.

I've never felt tempted to try to make such a CD although it would clearly
be of benefit to those who feel the need to reinstall Win Me. Something I
have fortunately never felt the need to do. Incidentally I slipstreamed
XP SP1 and later XP SP2 into the original RTM XP Pro and the whole
exercise takes just a few minutes. The benefits on a clean install are
significant for XP as the dll cache is several hundred MB smaller than
when installing XP then SP1 then SP2.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike....@gmail.com

Noel Paton

Dec 29, 2004, 7:12:35 AM12/29/04
Mike
you don't need to install SP1 before installing SP2 (which I'm sure you
realise!)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

Mike M

Dec 29, 2004, 7:25:45 AM12/29/04
Oh? So what was a user to do between 2002 (release of SP1) and 2004
(release of SP2)?

--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike....@gmail.com

Noel Paton

Mike M

Dec 29, 2004, 1:54:35 PM12/29/04
I'm sorry but I don't have a clue what you are referring to here Noel.

Between 2002 and 2004 XP SP2 was not available only SP1 hence I and
countless others slipstreamed SP1 into RTM. Doing this results in a much
smaller installed file base if then used to install XP rather than
installing SP1 over RTM, just as SP2 when slipstreamed into RTM makes for
a smaller installation than RTM plus SP1 (which is what many users will
have prior to August 2004), and then SP2.

Mike M

Dec 29, 2004, 2:01:02 PM12/29/04
PS, BTW I'm not referring here to the SP uninstall folder(s) but rather
the total size of the various dll caches. Those created when installing
using slipstream media are far smaller than when installing from RTM and
then SP1 and then SP2 (as will have happened for anyone running XP prior
to August 2004) or if a new user were to install XP RTM today followed by
SP2.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike....@gmail.com

Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

> I'm sorry but I don't have a clue what you are referring to here Noel.
>
> Between 2002 and 2004 XP SP2 was not available only SP1 hence I and
> countless others slipstreamed SP1 into RTM. Doing this results in a
> much smaller installed file base if then used to install XP rather
> than installing SP1 over RTM, just as SP2 when slipstreamed into RTM
> makes for a smaller installation than RTM plus SP1 (which is what
> many users will have prior to August 2004), and then SP2.

Noel Paton

Dec 29, 2004, 3:43:50 PM12/29/04
Mike -
the final sentence in your original post reads....

"The benefits on a clean install are
significant for XP as the dll cache is several hundred MB smaller than
when installing XP then SP1 then SP2."

The implication is (at least to me) that it is necessary to install SP1
prior to installing SP2.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

Mike M

Dec 29, 2004, 4:06:00 PM12/29/04
> The implication is (at least to me) that it is necessary to install
> SP1 prior to installing SP2.

Noel,

Something which at no time did I say or even suggest. Read my posts
again. I was extolling the virtue of installing (clean) from a
slipstreamed XP CD and quite clearly, to me at least, stating that such an
install leads to a considerable reduction in the size of the dllcache
against, for example, that seen by those who installed XP (in say 2001)
and then SP1 (in 2002) and then SP2 (in 2004) or even those who installed
from an XP RTM CD yesterday and then installed SP2 today.

--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike....@gmail.com

Noel Paton

Mike M

Dec 29, 2004, 4:29:27 PM12/29/04
That's OK then? <VBG>
--
Mike

SeaSpeeder

Dec 30, 2004, 7:25:05 AM12/30/04
Thanks everyone for responding. What is RTM? Does it matter if my WinME CD is
oem or retail? Where online can I learn how to slipstream my WinME CD?

Noel Paton

Dec 30, 2004, 7:43:35 AM12/30/04
1) RTM is 'Release to Manufacture' - the first edition, if you like
2) It shouldn't
3) you can't, AFAIK

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

"SeaSpeeder" <seamaid24...@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message

Mike M

Dec 30, 2004, 8:01:58 AM12/30/04
Once again, you CANNOT make a slipstream CD for Win Me since there is NO
service pack to slipstream into the CD you already have.

--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike....@gmail.com

SeaSpeeder

Dec 30, 2004, 1:01:02 PM12/30/04
So what you're saying is that I can't slipstream my WinME CD with IE 6 or WMP
9 or DX 9 then? Someone said I might be able to put the 290700 system restore
update on there, as well as updated drivers. If that's true, how do I do it?
If not, are there ANY windows updates I can slipstream in? Which ones and how
to do it. Thanks.

Noel Paton

Dec 30, 2004, 1:10:50 PM12/30/04
Are you totally incapable of accepting the phrase 'it cannot be done'??
Neither Mike, nor Myself at any time have intimated that this is possible -
although in theory there is a vague chance that one or two updates may be
'slippable' (to coin a phrase).

Accept it and move on.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

"SeaSpeeder" <seamaid24...@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message

Mike M

Dec 30, 2004, 1:29:16 PM12/30/04
For the third time. Since there is no service pack for Win Me there is
nothing to slip-stream. If you don't understand that then IMO there is
little point in my explaining how to include say the 290700 hotfix (the
method is fairly obvious, you only have to look at a folder on your own PC
to see what needs to be done and which hotfixes can be included on any
updated Win Me CD). As for how to include drivers, I have already told
you in an earlier post what is needed (msbatch) so dig out that Win 98
Resource Kit and start reading. Oh, and even so there is still no
guarantee that it will work, for example it will only work with drivers
that install by way of an inf file.

SeaSpeeder

Dec 31, 2004, 2:35:02 AM12/31/04
Thank you.