Lexmark Z23 won't print black

Andria

Aug 11, 2003, 3:00:43 PM8/11/03
I have a Lexmark Z23 printer. Yesterday I bought a new
black cartridge for it. I tookt the tape off like it said
and installed it the way the directions said. When I go
to print a document the printer skips over anything in
black. It will only print in color. I made sure I had it
installed right and the tape was off. It is the right
cartridge also because I wrote down the number and took it
to the store with me to make sure. The color works fine
but not the black. I even clicked on the "Print color
images in black and white" in the Solution Center icon and
it still won't print black. It shows that I have a full
color cartridge and a full black cartridge. I don't
understand why it doesn't work. Can someone please help
me???? Thanks a lot.

Cari (MS-MVP)

Aug 11, 2003, 5:49:18 PM8/11/03
It may be a faulty cartridge. Contact Lexmark.

Cari
www.coribright.com

"Andria" <andr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Doug Turner

Aug 16, 2003, 10:35:26 AM8/16/03
Please double-check your installation, step by step.
1) Make sure all the tape is removed from the printed
circuit contact area on the cartidge. This makes contact
with the pins on the cartidge holder.
2) Take a piece of soft facial tissue and blot - DO NOT
RUB - the print head of the cartidge. Do you get any
black ink? Look at the print head when doing this - is
the black ink across the whole width of the printhead?
3) When you installed the cartidge back into the machine,
did you hear a distinctive "snap"?
4) Did you run (or did the unit automatically run) the
cartidge alignment process, which prints out an alignment
page for the two cartidges? (Lexmark printer control
panel). You should see both black and blue lines.
5) Did you print the test page? (Lexmark printer control
panel). You should see an image in 4 colors, including
black.
6) Did you clean the print nozzles? (Lexmark printer
control panel). You should see alternating bands of three
colors and black.
If you are still having problems, then either the software
(printer driver) needs to be reinstalled OR there is a
problem with the printer (loose ribbon cable to cartidge
holder?). Lexmark machines are fairly simple. Additional
hint - save on cartidge costs by refilling them yourself.
Refill kits are about $15 (black) and $20 (color). The
black cartidges are easy to refill, and can be done about
4-5 times (depending upon wear of the printed circuit
contact area). Color refills are bit tricker, and be
precise - don't overfill or you will have a "purple" color
cartidge. Good luck!