Computer is invaded by "Residential Home Gateway" Device.

Nancy

Apr 19, 2003, 5:10:44 PM4/19/03
I am the only user of my home P3 desktop and use a dial-up ISP.
For the third time, a little pop-up message call-out from my
system tray informs me that, “A new device has been found and a
shortcut will be placed in the “My Network Places” folder on my
desktop. Would you like a shortcut to be placed on your
desktop?” (I choose “No”.)
It happens when I’m connected to the Internet. I have no idea
where it comes from. I’ve had my Windows Me auto update disabled
for a long time now. There is an Ethernet adapter that also has
been disabled from the device manager for a long time.
I search my computer for any references to this and find nothing.
After my computer has been rebooted, the icon disappears.
This scares me and I’ve done virus scans immediately after the
incidences.
Does anyone out there have a clue as to what a, “Residential
Gateway Device,” is?
Thank you.
Nancy

Mike M

Apr 19, 2003, 6:46:43 PM4/19/03
Nancy,

Since you are a single user with a dial-up connection not using ICS much of
what follows is probably irrelevant. What I suspect is happening is that you
have a) Universal Plug n Play installed and b) some other user in the same IP
subnet as yourself has one or more UPnP device installed on their system. If
you don't need UPnP I would suggest jumping to my last paragraph. UPnP
devices tend to be "intelligent" household devices including automation
products (for example computer controlled garage doors and light switches) and
security devices. See http://www.upnp.org/

See MS KB 298757 - "A Residential Gateway Device That Cannot Be Controlled Is
Displayed on a Windows Me-Based Client"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=298757) which may explain your mystery
device:
"Symptoms
A Windows Millennium Edition (Me)-based computer that is configured as an
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) client computer can detect a residential
gateway device, yet the device cannot be controlled.

The residential gateway device is displayed in the system tray when the device
is first detected. Then, Windows prompts you with the message "Click here to
find out more." However, your only option is to use the connectoid, which does
not function properly.

Cause
This behavior can occur if the ICS host is a Windows XP-based computer, which
does not have a presentation page. On your computer, if you have a Universal
Plug and Play device that does not have a presentation page, the computer can
detect the device, but the computer is unable to control the device. NOTE: If
the Windows Me-based computer does not have Universal Plug and Play support
installed. This is not installed by default."

One way of removing this entry is, I believe, to uninstall Universal Plug and
Play (UPnP) on your PC. Do this via Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs |
Windows Setup | Communications | Details and uncheck UPnP at the bottom of the
list. OK and Apply.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mcma...@hotmail.com

Nancy

Apr 19, 2003, 8:35:53 PM4/19/03
Thanks for the info Mike.
I still don't understand it, but at least it makes me feel a
little more at ease.
I was thinking the worst before ... virus, or invasion of unknown
malicious intent.
One thing I would like to know...
What is meant by a "Presentation Page?"
Nancy