mircosoft.public.windows. general

Eileen

Jan 27, 2002, 10:05:38 AM1/27/02
I have been unable to get any messages on mircosoft.public.windows.general
since Jan 18, 2002. Does the newsgroup no longer exist ?
Eileen

---

Galadrial

Jan 27, 2002, 11:06:53 AM1/27/02
Not posted myself but picked up postings dated up to today.

Galadrial

Jan 27, 2002, 11:09:28 AM1/27/02
Sorry, misread your newsgroup ref, I've been accessing windowsme group, the
one you quote does not appear on my newsgroup listings.

Cari

Jan 27, 2002, 4:06:56 PM1/27/02

"Eileen" <van...@piasanet.com> wrote in message

> I have been unable to get any messages on mircosoft.public.windows.general
> since Jan 18, 2002. Does the newsgroup no longer exist ?
> Eileen

It's still fine!

You might want to use the microsoft news server to get your MS newsgroups.

If you use Outlook Express, create a new Mail Account.... the news server is
news.microsoft.com and does not require any logon.

Cari
www.coribright.com

Noel Paton

Jan 27, 2002, 4:59:49 PM1/27/02
There doesn't appear to be any such newsgroup - are you sure that you've got
the name correct?
--
Noel Paton

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mike M

Jan 27, 2002, 5:11:25 PM1/27/02
Microsoft have no such news group. Perhaps you are thinking of
microsoft.public.windowsme.general since you are posting in a Win Me news group.
Note also you appear to have mis-spelt microsoft but that no doubt was just a
typo in your posting.

Clicking
should hopefully take you what you want.
--
Mike Maltby
mcma...@hotmail.com

"Eileen" <van...@piasanet.com> wrote ...

Eileen

Jan 27, 2002, 6:03:36 PM1/27/02
yes, a mistype. It is microsoft.public windowsme.general and I have
messages up and including Jan 18 and none after.

Mike M

Jan 27, 2002, 7:38:52 PM1/27/02
I would suggest resetting the news group - right click on the NG in the folders
list, properties, local file, reset. You may have a corrupt entry in OE's
folders.dbx which records details of posts downloaded and whether read or not.
If you still have problems you may have to drop the NG and then, after having
closed and restarted OE, re-subscribe.,
--
Mike Maltby
mcma...@hotmail.com

"Eileen" <van...@piasanet.com> wrote ...

> yes, a mistype. It is microsoft.public windowsme.general and I have

Eileen

Jan 27, 2002, 8:19:11 PM1/27/02
Mike, I reset, that didn't work. So I unsubscribed, closed my OE, reopened
OE and resubscribed and still can't get posts past 01-18-2002. I will try
shuting down PC after I unsubscribe, then resubscribe to see if that works.
Eileen

Eileen

Jan 27, 2002, 8:33:08 PM1/27/02
Well, that didn't work either. I still can't get any messages later than
1-18-2002 on microsoft.public.windowsme.general.
Eileen

"Eileen" <van...@piasanet.com> wrote in message

Mike M

Jan 27, 2002, 8:49:29 PM1/27/02
Well since I see that despite various comments in this thread that you should
use msnews.microsoft.com as the news server to access the Microsoft news groups
and I even provided a clickable link for you to do so, you continue to use your
ISP's UseNet server. You have a simple choice to make. Get a broken service
from your ISP or get the posts direct from Microsoft (which yes, does
occasionally break down but rarely for more than a day).
--
Mike Maltby
mcma...@hotmail.com

"Eileen" <van...@piasanet.com> wrote ...

> Well, that didn't work either. I still can't get any messages later than
> 1-18-2002 on microsoft.public.windowsme.general.

Eileen

Jan 27, 2002, 9:50:33 PM1/27/02
I'm sorry Mike, The link didn't work for me. When I clicked on it, nothing
happened.
Eileen

Mike M

Jan 27, 2002, 10:08:37 PM1/27/02
I will post it again. You are using Outlook Express and there is no reason why
it should not work for you as it works perfectly well for me here. I try and
test all links before posting and did this before posting the original post and
will do so before posting this.

Click the following to simply add the Microsoft news server:

Click the following to not only add the Microsoft news server but also to go
direct to the Windowsme general news group:

Let's hope you have better luck on this occasion.
--
Mike Maltby
mcma...@hotmail.com

"Eileen" <van...@piasanet.com> wrote ...

> I'm sorry Mike, The link didn't work for me. When I clicked on it, nothing
> happened.

Eileen

Jan 27, 2002, 10:35:03 PM1/27/02
Thanks, Mike, it worked.
Eileen

Mike M

Jan 28, 2002, 2:49:57 AM1/28/02
Eileen,

Glad to see the links worked for you this time.

Cheers,
--
Mike Maltby
mcma...@hotmail.com