Lu callbackproxy.exe

Ammray

Dec 31, 2005, 9:26:02 AM12/31/05
This comes on often but when the system is low and the PC will not shut
down...does want to close

Mike M

Dec 31, 2005, 9:59:36 AM12/31/05
callbackproxy.exe appears to be part of Intel's Intel DeviceView. If you
have DeviceView installed I'd start my uninstalling this and seeing if
this fixes the problem.
--
Mike Maltby
mike....@gmail.com

Heirloom

Dec 31, 2005, 11:57:38 AM12/31/05
Mike, I think (could be wrong, of course) that this is associated with a new
Live Update from Symantec.....which would explain a lot <g>. See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Lucallbackproxy.exe&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=gw
Heirloom, old and must get rid of some
coffee

Mike M

Dec 31, 2005, 12:11:22 PM12/31/05
Seems like that we are therefore both too late to save the poster and
their system. Once infected by Symantec the only fix is to remove and
destroy the hard drive. <g>

The difference in our searches and thus possible origin of the problem is
that I Googled for callbackproxy and you for lucallbackproxy. For some
reason I had assumed the space in the subject line was intentional.
--
Mike Maltby
mike....@gmail.com

Heirloom

Dec 31, 2005, 1:09:03 PM12/31/05
No prob, I did the same thing the first time, but, was all too familiar with
the "LU" from past experience, <ugh>. As it seems to be an new form of
'invasion' by Symantec.....I am not sure what to recommend to the OP.
Removal of anything Symantec would be a start, but, that can be such a
tedious process finding all the 'hiding' places that Symantec places things.
Heirloom, old and it ain't gone 'til the stuff's
out of the basement

Mike M

Dec 31, 2005, 1:26:36 PM12/31/05
> I am not sure what to recommend to the OP.

I take it H that you don't agree with my "the only fix is to remove and
destroy the hard drive"? <vbg>

> it ain't gone 'til the stuff's out of the basement

Wanna clear a garage followed by the pile behind me on top of the filing
cabinet followed by the contents of said cabinet. :-)
--
Mike

Ammray

Dec 31, 2005, 3:04:04 PM12/31/05
Leading in the right direction Heirloom Thanks. RLA.... Now,I have a site on
this home PC where the counter at home does not show the site hits (counter)
I corrected the web site at home on this PC but all others show the count
visits. By the way I went to Symantic Norton because the renewal of McAfee
made my PC go biserk and Staple was wores yet. I had to restore completely
to get it out.(both)

The anti virus programs have given me more problems on this PC than the virus.
Thanks again.

Heirloom

Dec 31, 2005, 4:05:00 PM12/31/05
There are many very good and reputable virus proggies, many of which are
free, i.e. AVG from Grisoft and Avast! from avast.com. The Norton AV is
very invasive and simply, bloatware. A typical install of the AV, alone, is
about 70Meg without the definitions! Avast! is about 7Meg with all of
it......do the math.

I used to use Norton AV, many moons ago and did have some problems with
it.....the biggest being when they moved their support staff to Pakistan (or
someplace similar that doesn't speak English). If I may be blunt....do
yourself and your computer a big favor and dump the Symantec crap. There
are so many free proggies that work well together, that will do everything
the Symantec Suite of products is supposed to do.
Heirloom, old and don't think you have to
destroy the drive, <g>.

"Ammray" <Amm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mike M

Dec 31, 2005, 5:20:09 PM12/31/05
> don't think you have to destroy the drive, <g>.

Spoil sport. :-)
--
Mike

Ammray

Jan 4, 2006, 3:55:02 PM1/4/06
Thanks,
You led me in the right direstion. I went to control panel and removed the
contaminated Symantec: liveupdate then went to Symantic live up date file in
window explorer and change the file to (xliveupdate). This got rid of the
ghost contaminated file I then went to Symantic and type in reinstall
liveupdate and they have an automatic screening site for what is missing and
then they re-installed the live update.(delete xliveupdate after I
reinatalled the new in a separate file.)

No more ghosts and shut down with out a multitude of windows of the Lu
Callbackprox.exe coming up.

Praise the lord
Amen

Noel Paton

Jan 4, 2006, 5:37:11 PM1/4/06
You'd still be better off getting rid of that POS known as Norton!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm