WinCE 6.0 R2 and Vista Ultimate

MichaelH

Jun 16, 2009, 10:11:01 AM6/16/09
Hello...

I am looking to upgrade my computer to Vista Ultimate. I have been looking
at the postings in google groups, and found mixed results concerning making
an image when using WinCE and Vista Ultimate. Has anyone been running WinCE
6.0 R2 and Vista Ultimate?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Valter Minute [eMVP]

Jun 16, 2009, 10:37:05 AM6/16/09

I'm running Vista Businness and after installing VS2005 SP1 and the
vista specific patch (that you'll find on the R2 install DVD) I
experienced no mayor issues (no jokes about Vista here...).
I don't know if Vista Ultimate may have some specific quirks, but I
suppose that the OS core is the same and so I don't expect uge
differences in VS2005 and Platform Builder behaviour.

--
Valter Minute (eMVP)
www.fortechembeddedlabs.it - Training, support and development for

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Jun 16, 2009, 10:55:32 AM6/16/09
Same here, I have it running on Vista Business and haven't had any problems
(that I would attribute to CE being on Vista anyway).

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting

"Valter Minute [eMVP]" <valter.minute@_REMOVEME_gmail.com> wrote in message

Fuseki

Jun 17, 2009, 3:38:51 AM6/17/09
I have it running on Vista Ultimate and haven't had any problems . i
also tested on Windows 7RC there is no problem everythings is ok just
you have to attention to Run as Administrator visual Studio 2005...

good luck.
Hasan.
http://www.aytis.com

On Jun 16, 5:55 pm, "Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke.at.opennetcf.dot.com>
wrote:

> Same here, I have it running on Vista Business and haven't had any problems
> (that I would attribute to CE being on Vista anyway).
>
> --
>
> Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
> OpenNETCF Consulting

> Giving back to the embedded communityhttp://community.OpenNETCF.com
>
> "Valter Minute [eMVP]" <valter.minute@_REMOVEME_gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:u%23X5s$o7JHA...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> > MichaelH wrote:
> >> Hello...
>
> >> I am looking to upgrade my computer to Vista Ultimate.  I have been
> >> looking at the postings in google groups, and found mixed results
> >> concerning making an image when using WinCE and Vista Ultimate.  Has
> >> anyone been running WinCE 6.0 R2 and Vista Ultimate?
>
> > I'm running Vista Businness and after installing VS2005 SP1 and the vista
> > specific patch (that you'll find on the R2 install DVD) I experienced no
> > mayor issues (no jokes about Vista here...).
> > I don't know if Vista Ultimate may have some specific quirks, but I
> > suppose that the OS core is the same and so I don't expect uge differences
> > in VS2005 and Platform Builder behaviour.
>
> > --
> > Valter Minute (eMVP)

> >www.fortechembeddedlabs.it- Training, support and development for Windows
> > CE
> >www.geekswithblogs.net/WindowsEmbeddedCookbook- My embedded programming

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Jun 17, 2009, 11:02:20 AM6/17/09
32.

-Chris

"MichaelH" <Mich...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks all for the input...
>
> To clarify about the OS. Are you running the 64-bit or 32-bit versions of
> Vista Ultimate or Business?
>
> Thanks.
> Mike.

MichaelH

jking

Jun 19, 2009, 5:06:45 PM6/19/09
I installed everything on a 64-bit Vista Ultimate, and I do have a quirky
little problem. The Custom Build Actions (under the project's proterties) do
not run. The batch files for Pre-Systen, Post-Sysgen, Pre-Make Image, and
Post-Make Image do not execute, and I get the following error when make
image runs:

Failed to load C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\STK4_v1.7\STK4_v1.7\STK4_v1.7.pbxml:
Tools Install Dir in registry is missing.

As far as I can tell, the error above only affects the rebuilding of the
batch files (it fails to take the Custom Buils Actions and create the batch
files that are run before and after the sysgen/build image phases). I've
installed VS and PB on two different Vista Ultimate machines, one 32-bit and
one 64-bit, and both have the problem. Both after a fresh OS installs.
Running VS in admin or user mode does not affect the outcome, either. So
this seemes to me to be a problem of VS or PB interacting with Vista's
enchanced "security" (I'm guessing). This did cause me a problem, because I
was using the batch files to: 1) output the time and date at the start/end
of ecah phase (MS seems to have a thing against time stamping each action)
and 2) to copy some files into the build directory that are included in
NK.bin. This was 80% of the reason I bought a new laptop that ran XP, at the
start of 2009, and the reason I refuse to upgrade to anything that VS2k5 and
PB do not directly support. Once MS get's a version of PB that will run on
VS20?? and is _certified_ to run correctly on Win7, I will consider it.

Yeah, once burned, twice as determined to never upgrade to non-certified
platforms.

PB seems to be the red-headded step-child development platform, forgotten in
MS's rush to get Win7 out the door so people will forget about Vista's
foibles. [/rant]

"MichaelH" <Mich...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Jun 19, 2009, 11:12:40 PM6/19/09
I probably should have mentioned that I've long since turned off UAC, so if
you have it on there may well be issues.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting
Giving back to the embedded community
http://community.OpenNETCF.com

"jking" <jkin...@comcast.net> wrote in message

MichaelH

Jul 28, 2009, 10:48:01 AM7/28/09
Hello All...

I have upgraded my system to the following, and with positive results:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64, 2.4GHz processor and 4G RAM.

After about a week of "tinkering", I have been successful with Platform
Builder (Windows CE 6 R2) and I will write about my results here.

Visual Studio 2005 did install with a warning that there were known
compatibility issues. These issues were described, and downloads were made
available from the installer.

Platform Builder was another story. The installation prompted a warning
that there were known compatibility issues, but there was not mention of
compatibility updates. I was able to download and successfully install the
Vista compatibility updates. All appeared to be well.

Unfortunately, Vista Ultimate 64 has two registry locations - one for 64-bit
applications, and one for 32-bit applications. Visual Studio 2005 is
installed as a 64-bit application, and all registry entries are placed into
the 64-bit registry. Platform Builder is recognized as a 32-bit application,
and the registry entries are placed into the 32-bit registry. Because Visual
Studio 2005 is registered as a 64-bit application, it lookes for the Platform
Builder information in the 64-bit registry. Because the Platform Builder
information is not there, the image failed to build.

I came across the solution by reviewing other blogs, and the registry of my
original Windows XP OS. Under [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft] there is an entry
for Platform Builder. I exported the Windows XP registry entry, and added it
to the 64-bit registry of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 - same described
location. In some of the registry entries, the path names are: "c:\Program
Files\...". These entries needed to be changed to: "c:\Program Files
(x86)\...". This is due to my using the default setup of Platform Builder.
Once these changes were made in the registry, Platform Builder functioned,
and I have been able to make and debug images.

The quickest way that I found to determine if Platform Builder is correctly
installed for Visual Studio 2005 is:

* Install Platform Builder and the Vista compatibility updates.
* Start Visual Studio 2005
* Tools -> Platform Builder -> Check for updates.

If you get an error, the registry is not setup correctly. Once I made the
changes I described above, the tool was able to check for updates, and -
later - images were completely built.

As always- remember to backup you system before making changes to the
registry.

Good luck.
MikeH

jmp

Aug 26, 2009, 2:01:02 PM8/26/09
I've have read of a few people successfully making the suggested registry
changes and then able to build images using Platform Builder on an x64 OS.
That said, does have anybody have comments regarding deploying/debugging the
builds on the device using a x64 OS?

i.e., can anybody verify x64 success with things like KITL, deploying builds
to the device over USB and/or ethernet, etc?

RainMan

Sep 5, 2009, 6:45:01 PM9/5/09

This also applies to Visual Studio 2005 on 64-bit XP SP2.

I just installed CE 6.0 and I have spent a day searching Internet for
solutions. I had many issues before I got to the point I could use Platform
Builder.

Your post is BRILIANT. I do not know how much time did I save but I am sure
a lot.
Even though I know about different registry entries I failed to realize that
Microsoft forgot about it; shame. f I am not mistaken, Windows CE 6 R2 id
64-bit!

Why, with anything MS releases there is always number of annoying small
things that were not quite finished or are simply missing. Is it so difficult
to get pristine system, install own software and run it at least once? I
think that would save us a lot of time.

I know that if I would allow to release my work in a state MS does I would
not be in software developing long time ago.
THANKS A BUNCH MichaelH!

By the way my troubles are not over I am still getting build error:
SYSGEN0000, opening another searching session.

--
RainMan

MichaelH

Sep 6, 2009, 1:58:01 PM9/6/09
Hello jmp...

I can verify that I can connect to my custom platform using KITL through an
ethernet connection. I am able to debug both the image and my application.

Good luck.
Michael H

jmp

Sep 6, 2009, 11:10:02 PM9/6/09

Great to here. Thanks much for the response.

Chris Tacke, MVP

Sep 7, 2009, 11:29:10 PM9/7/09
> Why, with anything MS releases there is always number of annoying small
> things that were not quite finished or are simply missing. Is it so
> difficult
> to get pristine system, install own software and run it at least once? I
> think that would save us a lot of time.

It certainly would, but the team is small and the test matrix for 100%
compatibility has got to be absolutely gigantic.

Now for obvious things like this, they really don't have an excuse.