WEB stuff on CE5.0

Rob

Jun 26, 2007, 7:50:01 AM6/26/07
Our webdeveloper tells me that he needs to call the
“Scripting.FileSystemObject" to read folder-content-lists from disk. It is
supposed to be in an ActiveX object. Ithink it should be in a DLL on the
local system somewhere.

He thinks its a matter of "enabling activeX" usage, as it is under XP.
But I found the following info from another post in this group:
http://blogs.msdn.com/cenet/archive/2005/08/15/451947.aspx

I assume it's the same problem here , right ?
So what/How exactly should I implement to support these functions ?
Is there any documentation on this ? Or has anyone done this ?

Greetings,
Rob van den Bergh

<ctacke/>

Jun 26, 2007, 10:32:36 AM6/26/07
Your web developer (and I'll restrain from making a generalization about web
developers here) is wrong and doesn't understand even how desktop systems
work. CE can have COM or DCOM (which is the root of his magic "ActiveX"
word) but having COM doesn't guarantee the existence of any specific library
or object.

On the desktop there is a COM object for scripting. Contained in it is an
object called the FileSystemObject (or FSO) that many a web dev and VB guy
came to love due to its simplicity. It doesn't exist in Windows CE. To get
the same feature set in CE, you need to create your own COM library that
exports the same interface (now that I think of it, it's kind of surprising
no-one has done that yet).

So it's not a simple "flip a switch" or "add a component" and it works
thing. It's going to require some C++ development.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting

"Rob" <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rob

Jun 26, 2007, 12:25:02 PM6/26/07
Thanks for you reply.

Suppose you are right and he is wrong, how would I go about making such an
interface object ? I have had experience creating COM objects in the past, It
does not make me happy...
I suppose I need to implement certain specific GUID's ? ( module /
interfaces )
Which ones ?, where can I find these (file-) interfaces, along with their
spec's ?
( prototypes / GUID's ?...)
There is plenty of docu on the "other" (VB/ASP) side, but I haven't found
anything about the DLL side.

What DLL is the FSO typically in (on XP) ?
I understand it's just about registerring, but I just want to see how it
works on XP.

Otherwise :
Is there such a thing as "enable activeX" or "lower security setting" in CE
that would supposedly do the trick ?

Greetings,
Rob van den Bergh

<ctacke/>

Jun 26, 2007, 12:37:13 PM6/26/07
> Suppose you are right and he is wrong, how would I go about making such an
> interface object ? I have had experience creating COM objects in the past,
> It
> does not make me happy...

I don't know if writing COM makes anyone (except Don Box of course) happy.
It's always been about as pleasant as a root canal or colonoscopy.

> I suppose I need to implement certain specific GUID's ? ( module /
> interfaces )
> Which ones ?, where can I find these (file-) interfaces, along with their
> spec's ?

The GUID doesn't need to match the desktop, as the web stuff will reference
it by class name and the "magic" of COM will find the appropriate CLSID from
the registry. Go ahead and create one for the library.

> ( prototypes / GUID's ?...)
> There is plenty of docu on the "other" (VB/ASP) side, but I haven't found
> anything about the DLL side.

I wouldn't attempt to roll the entire thing - I'd ask teh web guy what
interfaces he wants/uses and just implement the bare minimum required to let
him do his job.

> What DLL is the FSO typically in (on XP) ?

No clue. For me XP is simply the thing that allows me to run Studio and
develop for devices. It's been a long time since I did desktop development,
let alone anything that used the FSO. Google around for the "Windows
Scripting Host".

> Is there such a thing as "enable activeX" or "lower security setting" in
> CE
> that would supposedly do the trick ?

Nope. Including COM in the platform "enables" ActiveX but it still doesn't
create the scripting host.

Rob

Jun 27, 2007, 10:50:02 AM6/27/07

I guess the following is a replacement:
http://www.newobjects.com/product.asp?ID=63
I have not yet been able to get the DLL's registerred and working on my
target....

Greetings,
Rob.

<ctacke/>

Jun 27, 2007, 11:42:26 AM6/27/07
It lists WSH, so yes that seems to be a replacement. What's failing during
registration? Is it for the right processor (you never said what you're
using)?