Silverligth installation in VS 2008

ATS26

Oct 28, 2009, 7:49:01 AM10/28/09
Hi folks,

i read that it is now possible, to use silverlight in WinCE 6.0 R3.
Therefore i want so write some code for it in my VS 2008.
I installed the "silverlight.exe" which i found in the official homepage,
but the only thing i can create is an visual basic or an c# project. But i
want to use c++ together with my projectcode i wrote till now.

Can someone tell me, what additional installation i have to do? For example
the "xamlruntime.h" header is missing which i found out is needed.

shai

Oct 28, 2009, 8:08:31 AM10/28/09
To develop an embedded Silverlight application you need Platform
Builder 6. Meaning you need VS2005.
Once you install PB6 and all the necessary components upto R3, you
will also find the Silverlight documentation in the local help.
Read this tutorial (by Valter Minute) to see how to develop a basic
Silverlight application:
http://geekswithblogs.net/WindowsEmbeddedCookbook/archive/2009/10/01/silverlight-for-embedded-tutorial.aspx

Shai

ATS26

Oct 28, 2009, 10:09:01 AM10/28/09
thanks for your answer, but that sounds very bad. Do you know if there will
be an addon für vs2008? The problem is, that my controler needs it.

"shai" wrote:

> .

shai

Oct 28, 2009, 11:35:50 AM10/28/09
Maybe one of the MVP's can answer your question regarding Silverlight
for developers. I can't.
In any case to have the "xamlruntime.h" file and the xaml libraries,
you will need an SDK that was generated using R3. For this you need to
contact your Device/image provider.
Again, I do not know if there is a process to develop silverlight
applications without PB. From what Microsoft published it is my
understanding that you do need PB. From the tutorials I saw so far,
the fact that the documentation is only available after you install PB
and the info they published on the site it is does not seem possible

On Oct 28, 4:09 pm, ATS26 <AT...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> thanks for your answer, but that sounds very bad. Do you know if there will
> be an addon für vs2008? The problem is, that my controler needs it.
>
> "shai" wrote:
> > To develop an embedded Silverlight application you need Platform
> > Builder 6. Meaning you need VS2005.
> > Once you install PB6 and all the necessary components upto R3, you
> > will also find the Silverlight documentation in the local help.
> > Read this tutorial (by Valter Minute) to see how to develop a basic
> > Silverlight application:

> >http://geekswithblogs.net/WindowsEmbeddedCookbook/archive/2009/10/01/...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Oct 28, 2009, 10:06:38 PM10/28/09
I haven't been keeping up with Silverlight much and, if the MVPs know,
chances are they'd be prevented from revealing anything because of NDA.
What is it about the development process that requires PB? I can see you
needing to build Silverlight into the OS, what with dependencies and so on,
but that just means you need to target a device with Silverlight on it, not
that you need PB to do app development.

Paul T.

"shai" <sha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Maybe one of the MVP's can answer your question regarding Silverlight
for developers. I can't.
In any case to have the "xamlruntime.h" file and the xaml libraries,
you will need an SDK that was generated using R3. For this you need to
contact your Device/image provider.
Again, I do not know if there is a process to develop silverlight
applications without PB. From what Microsoft published it is my
understanding that you do need PB. From the tutorials I saw so far,
the fact that the documentation is only available after you install PB
and the info they published on the site it is does not seem possible
to develop Silverlight applications without PB.

Shai

On Oct 28, 4:09 pm, ATS26 <AT...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> thanks for your answer, but that sounds very bad. Do you know if there
> will

> be an addon f�r vs2008? The problem is, that my controler needs it.

ATS26

Oct 29, 2009, 3:12:01 AM10/29/09
Thanks for your answers. For me its very strange, that i have to buy an older
version of VS to use a new feature. Especially when the VS2010 Beta is out an
my Device/image provider doesn't sell any VS2005 any more...
But ok, i will see what i can do with an older version of VS and i hope,
that Microsoft will develope a plugin for vs2008 too.

> > be an addon für vs2008? The problem is, that my controler needs it.

> > "shai" wrote:
> > > To develop an embedded Silverlight application you need Platform
> > > Builder 6. Meaning you need VS2005.
> > > Once you install PB6 and all the necessary components upto R3, you
> > > will also find the Silverlight documentation in the local help.
> > > Read this tutorial (by Valter Minute) to see how to develop a basic
> > > Silverlight application:
> > >http://geekswithblogs.net/WindowsEmbeddedCookbook/archive/2009/10/01/...
> >
> > > Shai

> > > .
>

> .

shai

Oct 29, 2009, 3:38:52 AM10/29/09
My conviction on in my first answer is fading slowly away...
I answered this since I recalled that all the places/tutorial I read
about Silverlight they menthioned adding the application as a
subproject in the OsDesign.
It does not make sense. On the other hand, I could not find any help
online on Silverlight, you only get that after installing PB.
Anyway, I take back my answer - I am not sure how developers are
supposed to develop Silverlight applications for devices that include
support for Silverlight.

Shai

shai

Oct 29, 2009, 4:03:24 AM10/29/09
From the PB help:
ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/MS.VSIPCC.v80/MS.WindowsCE.v60.en/CE_OS_ShellUI/
html/094028e1-0058-4c5b-97b1-e4e2d4ba20eb.htm
"Create a Silverlight for Windows Embedded Application

Prerequisites
If you decide to use a source XAML file to define the visual scene,
you have already created that XAML file by using Microsoft Silverlight
2 XAML, Microsoft Expression Blend 2, or by writing directly in
a .xaml file. For more information, see this Microsoft Web site.

You have decided which type of application to build based on
Silverlight. You have also identified the SYSGEN variables and .h
files that include the additional APIs to use in your application.

An OS design, run-time image, and a connection from Platform Builder
to your device. For more information, see Developing an OS Design.

Step 1 Add Silverlight to Your OS Design
Step 2 Create a Subproject for Your Application"

and it goes on and on.

Shai

shai

Oct 29, 2009, 12:13:09 PM10/29/09
OK,
I tried it now and the procedure in this post produces a functional
Silverlight Application:
http://shaihi.blogspot.com/2009/10/embedded-silverlight-for-windows-ce-60.html

Shai

ATS26

Oct 29, 2009, 12:24:01 PM10/29/09
ok, after your quotes i decide to get a version of VS2005. BUT, i can't find
any shops nor any trial versions to buy or to download. that is to stupid.

"shai" wrote:

> .

Paul G. Tobey [ eMVP ]

Oct 29, 2009, 3:17:03 PM10/29/09
That post is a great service! You've advanced the cause of application
development with Silverlight for CE a big step.

Paul T.

"shai" wrote:

> .

Paul G. Tobey [ eMVP ]

Oct 29, 2009, 3:24:01 PM10/29/09

Using VS2005 is all about running Windows CE Platform Builder to produce an
operating system. Microsoft requiring VS2005 is all about who they are
targeting for Platform Builder: a small group of people who are not
constantly updating their programming tools to the latest thing, or dropping
into a given version to knock off an application. Note that Platform Builder
*COMES WITH* VS2005, so it's little burden on its users to find VS2005 to
install.

Platform Builder users are, generally, device manufacturers and those who
work with them to build the operating system for a device. Since the device
doesn't promptly go away when the next version of Visual Studio comes out,
it's a real thing that exists physically in the universe, it's no big deal to
continue running an old version of VS to build the OS.

The team of guys working on Platform Builder has better things to do than
port the PB tools forward to VS2008 (for no good reason), it hasn't happened.

In any case, as Shai has demonstrated, you don't need Platform Builder to
build a Silverlight application for Windows CE 6. You can use VS2008. What
you *DO* need is a device that has Silverlight for Windows CE in it, exactly
as you need a device with Internet Explorer in it before you can use the IE
ActiveX control in your application.

Paul T.

ATS26

Oct 30, 2009, 5:48:04 AM10/30/09
i tried this and the compiler works fine. But i have a linker error:
xamlruntime.lib(Application.obj) : error LNK2019: Verweis auf nicht
aufgelöstes externes Symbol ""public: __cdecl
RadioButtonGroupManager::RadioButtonGroupManager(void)"
(??0RadioButtonGroupManager@@QAA@XZ)" in Funktion ""protected: __cdecl
XRApplication::XRApplication(void)" (??0XRApplication@@IAA@XZ)".

There are about 306 error of this kind. I added the xamlruntime.lib but
without any success. Do anyone has an idea? I'm using VS2008 and an ARMV4I cpu

"shai" wrote:

> .

shai

Nov 1, 2009, 2:24:10 AM11/1/09
I'll try to compile the application using VS2008 today and will post
back.

Shai

On Oct 30, 11:48 am, ATS26 <AT...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> i tried this and the compiler works fine. But i have a linker error:
> xamlruntime.lib(Application.obj) : error LNK2019: Verweis auf nicht
> aufgelöstes externes Symbol ""public: __cdecl
> RadioButtonGroupManager::RadioButtonGroupManager(void)"
> (??0RadioButtonGroupManager@@QAA@XZ)" in Funktion ""protected: __cdecl
> XRApplication::XRApplication(void)" (??0XRApplication@@IAA@XZ)".
>
> There are about 306 error of this kind. I added the xamlruntime.lib but
> without any success. Do anyone has an idea? I'm using VS2008 and an ARMV4I cpu
>
> "shai" wrote:
> > OK,
> > I tried it now and the procedure in this post produces a functional
> > Silverlight Application:

> >http://shaihi.blogspot.com/2009/10/embedded-silverlight-for-windows-c...

shai

Nov 1, 2009, 2:48:49 AM11/1/09
The german must have thrown me off here :)
VS2008 should not have anything to do with this. Are you using the
same application I posted?
Where did you acquire the xamlruntime.lib file from?

And just to be sure, working with VS2008 provides a functional
application with the proper SDK.

Shai

ATS26

Nov 2, 2009, 10:58:11 AM11/2/09
Hi, thank's for your support.
Do i need a "xamlruntime.dll" somewhere? I can't find this file and i think
this could be the problem for the "xamlruntime.lib"

"shai" wrote:

> .

shai

Nov 2, 2009, 11:21:36 AM11/2/09
If you follow the instructions I posted, then you don't need
xamlruntime.dll.
I presume you could use the Dll with Getprocaddress and all that (I am
not even trying). The Dll will be included in the image (NK.bin) that
supports Silverlight.
It's like using MFC as a Dynamically Loaded Library or linking to it
statically. I explained how to link to it statically. If your device
supports Silverlight and the SDK was generated properly, you should
not have problems to statically link to it as well.

Shai

ATS26

Nov 3, 2009, 8:19:02 AM11/3/09
hm, that's true. I think my current problem is, that i still have an old skd
for my platform. The problem is, that the boardsoftware i'm using will be
updated from Wince 6.0 R2 to R3 soon and i tried to create some code
previously.
So i have to wait a few weeks...
Thanks for your support shai.

"shai" wrote:

> .

ATS26

Jan 22, 2010, 8:18:01 AM1/22/10

"shai" wrote:

> If you follow the instructions I posted, then you don't need
> xamlruntime.dll.
> I presume you could use the Dll with Getprocaddress and all that (I am
> not even trying). The Dll will be included in the image (NK.bin) that
> supports Silverlight.
> It's like using MFC as a Dynamically Loaded Library or linking to it
> statically. I explained how to link to it statically. If your device
> supports Silverlight and the SDK was generated properly, you should
> not have problems to statically link to it as well.
>
> Shai

Hi, now i get my real sdk from my controller. But I still have the same
problem with the not resoveld symbol.
Can you please post your include, lib, ... paths which have included under
options in your VS? Maybe there is still the probleme. Everything else i
allready tried :(

shai

Jan 24, 2010, 4:51:41 AM1/24/10
to ATS26
These are the includes I used in one application I wrote:
#include "pwinuser.h"
#include "xamlruntime.h"
#include "xrdelegate.h"
#include "xrptr.h"

I use the lib that was produced using the original installation of R3
without QFE's (I did take a look to see whether Silverlight was
updated in the QFE's).
If you want to send me the project via my email so I take a look to
see what you are missing. You can strip down functionality to keep
your source.

Shai

ATS26

Jan 29, 2010, 2:40:05 AM1/29/10
OK, i solved the problem. I had a faulty sdk from my controller :(