Receiving ERROR_BAD_NETPATH using WNetAddConnection3 using IP addr

Dan

May 7, 2007, 2:53:01 PM5/7/07
Hello. I'm working in WinCE 5.0 connecting to a network share on a WinXP box
using WNetAddConnection3. When I connect using a UNC containing the target
machine's computer name, everything works as expected (e.g.
"\\server\share"). When I attempt to connect using a UNC with an IP address,
the function WNetAddConnection3 returns ERROR_BAD_NETPATH (e.g.
"\\192.168.1.2\share") even though it's the same share as the one above.

What could I be missing that would allowing the first one to work while the
second one fails?

Thanks,
Dan

Alexander T. Bussmann [MSFT]

May 7, 2007, 3:23:45 PM5/7/07
Unfortunately we don't support dotted decimal notation when specifying the
server name. You will have to continue using the netbios name to get this
working.

Regards,
Alexander T. Bussmann [MSFT]
ale...@microsoft.com

"Dan" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Dan

May 7, 2007, 4:14:00 PM5/7/07
Thanks. Do you know the reasoning why this is not supported in WinCE 5.0?
It seems like such a simple task since it must resolve to an IP address
anyways.

Is it supported in WinCE 6.0? (In case we ever migrate)

Thanks,
Dan

Alexander T. Bussmann [MSFT]

May 7, 2007, 9:08:01 PM5/7/07
This is not supported in CE5.0 or CE6.0.

The reason is rather simple - support for this was never added and never
existed in the SMB client when it was ported to Windows CE. This piece has
been around the OS for quite some time and has always been like this.

Feel free to contact me about your needs regarding this feature. It is
important for us to understand why our customers need the features that they
do so that we can justify future feature work. This isn't a guarantee that
it will be provided, but it does help me when we are weighing the
priorities.

Thanks,