activesync 4.5 - windows ce 5.0 ftp probem

Andrew

Mar 21, 2008, 5:03:01 AM3/21/08
hello

i have the next situation:

symbol mc3090 device (windows ce 5.0), windows xp and activesync 4.5.
i developed an application that connects via activesync to my desktop
computer and retrives some files from the FTP server (IIS).

The problem is that when i try to make the ftp request (ipaddres of my
desktop etc)
the ip address is not found. the problem is only when I try to connect to
the desktop pc where the device is connected to. if i configure another ftp
server on anoher computer in LAN i can connect. the adress of the device
(ipconfig in command promt on device ) is 192.168.55.101 and the gateway 100
(gateway i suppose means my desktop).my dekstop is in a LAN the adress of the
desktop is dynamic (DHCP). i made a test with another device (pocket pc) and
the conenction is established. i noticed a difference when i connect the
pocket pc - a new LAN was created and the adress of the device is 169.254.2.1
and my desktop address in that LAN is 169.154.2.2.

has anyone had this problem? is this specific to windows ce devices from
symbol? the pocket pc i've tested was also an symbol device with windows
mobile 5.0 OS.

andrei

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Mar 21, 2008, 11:08:49 AM3/21/08
If you're trying to connect to the paired desktop machine, connect to host
name "ppp_peer", rather than a random IP address.

Paul T.

"Andrew" <And...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Andrew

Mar 24, 2008, 4:21:01 AM3/24/08
i've tried to connect to that host but i have the same problem.
if i try to ping that host from command promt on windows ce i get the next
message

\> ping ppp_peer
Pinging Host ppp_peer [192.168.55.100]
PING: trasmit failed, error code 11010

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Mar 24, 2008, 11:11:10 AM3/24/08
Do you have 'ipconfig' on the device? Try 'ipconfig /all'.

Paul T.

"Andrew" <And...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Andrew

Mar 25, 2008, 3:28:01 AM3/25/08
yes i've already tried ipconfig /all and the address of the device is
192.168.55.101 and as gateway i have 192.168.55.100. when i try to ping
192.168.55.101 (the device itself) i get a repsonse. if i try to ping the
gateway (i suppose my desktop) i fete that error.

another tests revealed to me that:

1. there is a difference between windows ce and pocket pc. in windows ce on
my desktop machine there isn't created any LAN and from what i see after
"ipconfig /all" on the device the adresses are 19.168.55.101 for the device
and 100 for the desktop . when i connect a pocket a new LAN is created and
here is a difference in the range of the ip's allocated 169.254.2.2 for the
desktop and 169.254.2.1 for the device (i run ipconfig on device).

2. from the same application instead of calling internetconnect with flag
..._FTP i called internetconnect with ..._HTTP i got a valid handle so using
http it works.

3. if i try to connect to any other machine in my LAN it works

4. i've tried to make the same tests with activesync 3.8 and it seems to
work with FTP in the same conditions: no LAN created, windows ce device, the
device has ipaddress 192.168.55.101 etc

so o think that there is a problem with activesync 4.5 (or any other
activesync after 3.8 version) when i try to make FTP connections from my
device (windows ce) to my desktop machine.
i made also some tests on a desktop with Vista installed an i had the same
problems when connecting a windows ce device. pocket pc works.

thanks for your interest.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Mar 25, 2008, 11:36:31 AM3/25/08
1. Yes, that's up to the developer of the BSP for the board (or you, if
that's you). You can make the device look like a network adapter, USB
RNDIS, and then everything is pretty much 'just network' stuff. The serial
ActiveSync connection is a PPP connection, but ActiveSync on the PC is doing
a bunch of junk to forward network traffic out on the PC's network, etc. It
seems like much more of a hack, although it's almost 100% reliable, while
the network adapter scheme used by Windows Mobile 5 and higher has tons of
problems (firewalls, VPNs, etc.)

2. Hmmm. That must be the cause; FTP packets not being handled correctly
when the target is the directly-connected desktop machine. That's what
you're saying, right? Other machines on the network can be accessed by the
Windows CE device via ActiveSync, just not the machine to which it's
directly connected? I didn't remember that being the case. Since all the
code to send packets around is completely buried in ActiveSync, I can't
really think of anything to do about it. When you tested HTTP, you were
connected to a Web server hosted on the same PC as the FTP server, right?
Is it possible that your FTP sever is bound exclusively to the IP address of
the network adapter in the PC, rather than allowing connections on any of
the PC's 'network' interfaces?

Paul T.

"Andrew" <And...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Andrew

Mar 25, 2008, 1:43:03 PM3/25/08
The FTP and HTTP server are on the same machine. The HTTP server is under IIS
and also the FTP server. I tried to connect to another FTP server (i've
installed Cerberus) and i've got the same problem.
And yes i can connect to any other machine in the network (if there is a FTP
server running :) ).
When i connect to the server i tried several ways to indicate the desktop:
ip address in LAN, "pp_peer" as you said, 192.168.55.100 (as the ipconfig on
the device indicate as gateway), 169.154.2.2 as i seen when i connected a
pocket pc and worked, the name of the desktop in my LAN.

anyway the problem it's tricky because with activesync 4.5 using a pocket pc
device it works and with an windows ce device doesn't. and with activesync
3.8 works on both devices. maybe it;s a problem with activesync on the
device.

The FTP server under IIS is using with default settings. The server Cerberus
is set to work on IPaddress that my desktop has in LAN. That interface is the
only i have.

andrei

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Mar 25, 2008, 1:52:24 PM3/25/08
Yes, I think you've tried everything that I could suggest. You could report
a problem with Windows CE to Microsoft, I guess. I suspect that they'd just
say, "It's an ActiveSync problem", and direct you to those guys, who haven't
fixed any bugs, as far as I can tell, in years.

The only other comment I have is that you used "ppp_peer", not "pp_peer",
right? Won't make a difference in whether it works or not, since you've
tried the IP that it maps to, but...

Paul T.

"Andrew" <And...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Andrew

Mar 27, 2008, 3:33:00 AM3/27/08
i've tried with ppp_peer. There was a mistake in my answer.
now the problem could come from activesync 4.5 and windows ce 5.0 or it's
something wrong with the device. maybe with another windows ce device (from
other producer) it works.

Thank you for your help.

alessandrocaliaro

Mar 19, 2010, 6:28:18 PM3/19/10
Hi Andre and others. Have you find a solution about this problem?

Andre wrote:

i've tried with ppp_peer. There was a mistake in my answer.

27-Mar-08

i've tried with ppp_peer. There was a mistake in my answer.
now the problem could come from activesync 4.5 and windows ce 5.0 or it's
something wrong with the device. maybe with another windows ce device (from
other producer) it works.

Thank you for your help.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

On Friday, March 21, 2008 5:03 AM
Andre wrote:

[...]

On Friday, March 21, 2008 11:08 AM

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] wrote:

If you're trying to connect to the paired desktop machine, connect to host

If you are trying to connect to the paired desktop machine, connect to host

name "ppp_peer", rather than a random IP address.

Paul T.

On Monday, March 24, 2008 4:21 AM
Andre wrote:

i've tried to connect to that host but i have the same problem.
i've tried to connect to that host but i have the same problem.
if i try to ping that host from command promt on windows ce i get the next
message

\> ping ppp_peer
Pinging Host ppp_peer [192.168.55.100]
PING: trasmit failed, error code 11010

On Monday, March 24, 2008 11:11 AM

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] wrote:

Do you have 'ipconfig' on the device?
Do you have 'ipconfig' on the device? Try 'ipconfig /all'.

Paul T.

On Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:28 AM
Andre wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:36 AM

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:43 PM
Andre wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:52 PM

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] wrote:

Yes, I think you've tried everything that I could suggest.
Yes, I think you've tried everything that I could suggest. You could report
a problem with Windows CE to Microsoft, I guess. I suspect that they'd just
say, "It's an ActiveSync problem", and direct you to those guys, who haven't
fixed any bugs, as far as I can tell, in years.

The only other comment I have is that you used "ppp_peer", not "pp_peer",
right? Won't make a difference in whether it works or not, since you've
tried the IP that it maps to, but...

Paul T.

"Andrew" <And...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:33 AM
Andre wrote:

i've tried with ppp_peer. There was a mistake in my answer.
i've tried with ppp_peer. There was a mistake in my answer.
now the problem could come from activesync 4.5 and windows ce 5.0 or it's
something wrong with the device. maybe with another windows ce device (from
other producer) it works.

Thank you for your help.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

Featured Product / Service Review: TekPub
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ae6e21fa-3443-4134-9d2e-39384482c80e/featured-product--servic.aspx

Edward Koetsjarjan

Jan 6, 2011, 10:07:53 AM1/6/11
Hi , I had the same problem searched for hours for the solution. it seems that activesync blocks any tcp communication from pc to device. There is a solluction for this add a REG_DWORD
key myapp into the registry with decimal value 8080 like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\ProxyPorts\myapp

this will proxy 8080 port on the device to localhost:8080

make sure that your app listens to 8080 port and then communicate to http://localhost:8080 to request you application on the device. this will only work locally on the pc