Printing of Tiff always comes out as landscape in Vista

mlai

Jul 2, 2007, 6:17:02 AM7/2/07
This completely baffles me. My fax servers (SBS2003 and WS2003) receives
faxes in TIF formats and now when I tried to view and print them in Vista
(Window Fax and Scan, and Windows Photo Gallery (preview)) they always
comes out stretched in landscape not matter how I set my printer to portrait
or landscape.

The only way that I can get the TIF formats to print in portrait (correctly)
is via the Microsoft Office Document scanning (part of Office 2003 and
2007).

I have tried this on all my networked Vista machines, x64 and x32, ultimate
and business. They are exhibit the same problem.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Jul 2, 2007, 10:40:20 PM7/2/07
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my research, this similar issue is occurring on some Windows Vista
machines and this may be a problem in Vista.

I do understand your concerns. From my point of view, I understand your
feeling and how frustrated when you find that our product cannot meet your
needs. So, it is my pleasure to help you to reflect your recommendation to
the proper department for their consideration.

In addition, please feel free to submit your suggestion on our product to
the following link. Our Product Group reviews the suggestions submitted by
our customers. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and
increase the level of service provided.

https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&showpage=1&
ws=search

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

--------------------
| From: "mlai" <ml...@community.nospam>
| Subject: Printing of Tiff always comes out as landscape in Vista
| Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 18:17:02 +0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan

mlai

Jul 3, 2007, 5:59:17 AM7/3/07
Yes and I take your response as MSFT is aware of the problem and MAYBE fixed
in service pack 100 due 2100.
:)

""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" <v-k...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

mlai

Jul 3, 2007, 6:00:03 AM7/3/07
BTW, can you suggest a work around? Not all of my machines have MS office
document scanning installed.....

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Jul 4, 2007, 12:49:14 AM7/4/07
Hello,

At this moment, I have to suggest you try to use image software to open the
tiff file and print it from the software.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

--------------------
| From: "mlai" <ml...@community.nospam>
| Subject: Re: Printing of Tiff always comes out as landscape in Vista
| Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:59:17 +0800

| charset="big5";

| reply-type=original

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Jul 6, 2007, 5:14:39 AM7/6/07

If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue,
please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

--------------------
| From: v-k...@online.microsoft.com ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 04:49:14 GMT

| Subject: Re: Printing of Tiff always comes out as landscape in Vista

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan

ikolimi

Aug 22, 2007, 12:10:03 PM8/22/07
Ken,
What is the solution to this? Is this being looked in to so defaul Vista
programs can print documents in Portrait?

andrcan

Sep 28, 2007, 12:09:00 PM9/28/07
Hi.
I just experienced the same problem at work.

A colleague just called me to fix a fax printing problem.
She is able to correctly view the fax with Windows Photo Gallery, but she
cannot properly print it with any installed printer, because it becomes
stretched.
The preview shows the fax using a landscape paper format (we currently use
A4).

Then I tried to open it with Paint Shop Pro XI and Paint (on Windows XP
Professional and Vista Business).
The image (in TIFF format) is "actually" stretched in a landscape way.
So I checked the image properties and I found that the width is 1728 pixels
and the height is 1123 pixels.

At work we are using Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition, and I configured
the Fax Service with an external US Robotics Fax Modem with A4 paper settings.
I checked also other faxes in our incoming folders, to see if all the faxes
have the same problem... But not...
Only some... Maybe 10% of the total.

Maybe the problem could be generated by the Windows NT Fax service, the one
that creates the TIFF image then sent via e-mail, and saved in the incoming
faxes folder.
Probably some image properties are wrong. Maybe the height in particular is
a half of the real size.

The strange thing, now, is the visualization that is right using Windows
Photo Gallery.
Another strange thing is that it is possible to correctly print the fax
using a Windows XP operating system, with Windows Picture and Fax viewer.

It could be useful a tool that permits to re-adjust the image properties of
the faxes in the inbox folder, and a patch for Windows 2003 Server to solve
the problem.
I repeat. To me it is not a problem related specifically to Windows Vista.
It is related to the fax service. And maybe Microsoft patched the image
viewers in Windows XP to "manage" the fax service error.

I really don't know. I hope that someone could solve this issue as soon as
possible.
I think that out there there is a lot of people thinking to migrate from
Windows XP to Windows Vista that, with its image viewers, doesn't "manage"
the fax service error...

I will appreciate an answer from someone...

Best regards.

Andrea Canova.

Shannon

Oct 3, 2007, 5:12:04 PM10/3/07
Here's a workaround that a Microsoft Power Point tech gave me. It only works
if you can somehow view the document on your screen in portrait format (for
me this is an iffy thing, but often I can view the .tif faxes normally in
Windows Photo Gallery). It's cumbersome if your fax is multiple pages, but
it works.

1. Open the document in whatever program you can see it normally.
2. Take a screen shot (Fn+PrtScrn).
3. Open Paint and past the screen shot into a new Paint document.
4. Use the "Select" tool in Paint to select and copy only the document
portion of your screen shot.
5. Open a new document in Paint and paste the selection from the screen
shot.
6. Print.

Looking foward to a real fix someday. Good luck.