RE: Cannot see workgroup computers

Brian K

Feb 14, 2007, 8:58:22 AM2/14/07
Just last night I ran into a similar problem trying to connect to my laptop
(WinXP Home) from my desktop (Vista HP).

\\laptop didn't work
\\192.168.0.183 didn't work
I couldn't ping 192.168.0.183

BUT from the laptop I could connect and ping to the desktop \\desktop (IP
192.168.0.110)

I tried changing workgroup names, I tried renewing IP's with the Router
(DHCP on). Reboots happened as a result. No luck.

What finally fixed it was changing the IP address of the laptop to
192.168.0.104. (I have reserved addresses on the router setup).
I haven't changed the laptop's reserved address back to 192.168.0.183 yet
but I will tonight. I'm curious if Vista has a problem seeing computers with
IP addresses higher than its own?

"wrtbd" wrote:

> With WinVista RC1 Build 5600 installed, I cannot see any of the PCs in my
> workgroup (all WinXP or Win2K). Within Vista, I have changed the name of the
> workgroup to reflect the workgroup name. I have enabled discovery. I have
> the network identified as a private network. I can ping all of the PCs on
> the network, but Vista will not recognize them. I can get to the 'net (of
> course). Within Services, LLTD keeps stopping. I have all of the
> dependencies for LLTD started. I have the LLTD elements enabled in Group
> Policy.
> Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why LLTD keeps stopping and why I cannot
> see any other elements of my workgroup? Thanks.

Mike Magnant

Feb 14, 2007, 9:23:03 PM2/14/07
the version that arrived yesterday Vista home Premium OEM on a Compaq
computer performs the same way.

"C. Britton" wrote:

> [...]
> firewall and still nothing works. I'm relatively sure the problem lies in
> the new TCP/IP stack but turning off then newer facets of that haven't worked
> either.
>
> I only hope this problem has been fixed in the retail version so I don't
> spend the rest of my life on the phone with MS support.
>
> "Brandon" wrote:
>
> > I had a problem very similar to this. I could get my computers to all connect
> > via unc i.e. \\computer1\C$ and vice versa. It worked with all xp machines
> > and vista to all xp. But NO PC's were showing up in network neighborhood.
> >
> > I started thinking that not to long ago everything worked fine on my
> > network. Since that time two things have changes. 1. windows vista RTM and 2.
> > A new netgear wifi router. Now I didnt think it was vista and I think I was
> > right. I resetted my router back to to the defaults. First I power cycled my
> > cable modem, then once all cable modem lights sync'd up I gave router power
> > and held down the little button in the back to get it back to factory
> > defaults.
> >
> > Went into network neighborhood, and bam, all pc's showed up.
> >
> > Other things to consider, make sure all computers are on the same domain. xp
> > machines are on "mshome" vista goes to "workgroup" I suggest enabling if
> > possible simple file sharing. I also suggest 1st try to ping a computer, if
> > pinging the pc is successfull then using start->run>192.168.x.y to connect to
> > that pc as a test.
> >
> > If you can PING a XP machine from a xp machine then you should be able to
> > connect to it. Furthermore, you then should be able to connect to it via
> > computer name or ip address. THEN.....
> >
> > On the vista box do the same as above. Select an xp machine to ping, then
> > try to connect to it via ip and or computer name. If that is all successfully
> > and the computers still dont show up, try power cycling your router. Thats
> > what I did and it worked :)
> >
> > "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> > > To see if the problem is a "name resolution" problem or something else, try
> > > these two things:
> > >
> > > 1. determine the IP address of the XP computer (e.g. using the command
> > > ipconfig /all)
> > > then, on the Vista computer, click Start, Run and key
> > > \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (\\ followed by the IP address of the XP
> > > computer)
> > >
> > > 2. on the Vista computer, click Start, Run and key
> > > \\XPComputerName (without any share name)
> > >
> > > What happens?
> > >
> > > Is there any possibility of using a later build of Vista? There were quite
> > > a number of fixes between RC1 and RTM. I realize that Vista RTM is not yet
> > > generally available, but if you have access to an MSDN, Technet subscription
> > > Vista RTM is available for download.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> > > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
> > >
> > > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

Mike Magnant

Feb 14, 2007, 9:24:03 PM2/14/07
This could be good. Where is the place to change the workgroup setting? I
have not found the option to initialize it much less change it.

"Keith Hill" wrote:

> "C. Britton" <CBri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Thanks for the reply Brandon. Actually I have tried all the things you
> > suggested without success. I can ping or send files back and forth from
> > the
> > XP computer and the Win 2000 computers to each other. I can do the same
> > from
> > those computers to the Vista machine. But, I can't see the other
> > computers
> > at all from the Vista computer. I've checked every setting and I have
> > done a
> > power reset on the network components, I have even turned off the router
> > firewall and still nothing works. I'm relatively sure the problem lies in
> > the new TCP/IP stack but turning off then newer facets of that haven't
> > worked
> > either.
>

> Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but I ran into this problem just the
> other day and in my case it turned out that I had changed the workgroup
> names on my XP pcs when I set them up ages ago. With Vista, I had changed
> it from the default "Workgroup" name. When I changed Vista to have the same
> Workgroup name as the rest of my PCs then they all showed up.
>
> --
> Keith

Sledge@discussions.microsoft.com Tim Sledge

Feb 19, 2007, 12:58:11 AM2/19/07
I was unable to see computers in my domain from my new Windows Vista
computer. Found the solution at the link below.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/articles/print.cfm?articleid=95047

To get to the Group Policy Object Editor .... Start, All Programs,
Accessories, Right Click Command Prompt, point to Run as Administrator, Allow.

From command prompt type mmc.exe. File Add/Remove Snap-In, select Group
Policy Editor then Add, Group Policy Management then Add

Next follow instructions from link cited above.

Baker@discussions.microsoft.com Shawn Baker

Feb 21, 2007, 9:51:47 AM2/21/07
I found Bruce's troubleshooting tip below more helpful than anything else I
have tried so far. But, I am wondering about the next step in getting Windows
Vista Home Premium Edition to recognize my Windows 2000 PCs over a wireless
connection.

My situation is: Bought a new HP laptop w/Vista. Have 2 other desktop PCs at
home running Windows 2k. Vista sees the router, can connect through to the
internet, can ping the other PCs by IP address, and has the same workgroup
name as the other PCs. The Windows 2k machines see the Vista laptop.

I had tried everything I could think of to connect to my other PCs and was
feeling hopeless unil the "Start, Run, \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" suggestion below. I
had only tried using ComputerNames before. Hallelujah - I can connect by IP
address !

So, my question is: What do I need to do or check to get Vista to resolve
connections by NAME instead of having to rely on IP ADDRESS, which is dynamic
and can change??? Have any of you out there been able to do this
successfully???

I see a lot of posts in this newsgroup concerning this specific problem.
People are really struggling with this. Does anyone know if Microsoft is
addressing this issue??? Are there any plans on making LLTD available for
Windows 2000???

Shawn Baker

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> To see if the problem is a "name resolution" problem or something else, try
> these two things:
>
> 1. determine the IP address of the XP computer (e.g. using the command
> ipconfig /all)
> then, on the Vista computer, click Start, Run and key
> \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (\\ followed by the IP address of the XP
> computer)
>
> 2. on the Vista computer, click Start, Run and key
> \\XPComputerName (without any share name)
>
> What happens?
>
> Is there any possibility of using a later build of Vista? There were quite
> a number of fixes between RC1 and RTM. I realize that Vista RTM is not yet
> generally available, but if you have access to an MSDN, Technet subscription
> Vista RTM is available for download.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>

> (remainder deleted ...)

Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)

Feb 21, 2007, 8:10:46 PM2/21/07
LLTD deals with placing the computer in the Network Map, and is beside the
point for file-sharing. However, so far as I'm aware, there will not be a
W2K LLTD Responder.

If you can connect by IP, then it's clearly a name resolution issue.... You
might try connecting by name and using the Diagnose button. It should give
you more information about what types of name lookup were tried and didn't
succeed.

"Shawn Baker" <Shawn Ba...@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news:64BCF7F4-A162-4684...@microsoft.com...

Shawn Baker

Feb 22, 2007, 10:06:05 AM2/22/07
Re: LLTD, understood.

When I follow the "diagnose" path, I am basically informed that the name of
the Win2k workgroup computers are unknown to the DNS server. What's next?

(I'm curious as to why the Win2k PCs see everything just fine by name, it's
Vista that doesn't)

Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)

Feb 22, 2007, 7:22:02 PM2/22/07
Vista should try using LLMNR to resolve the name first; since that's a
Vista/Longhorn technology, it will fail for a downlevel machine. Following
that, it should try a NetBIOS broadcast, which is what I believe Win2K
should be using by default. When that fails, it falls back to a DNS query
for name.local-dns-suffix, which fails because your computers aren't
registered in DNS.

One possible work-around for you -- I'm assuming your router is also
proxying your DNS queries, or can. If it's not already, try it -- it should
add the machine names and DHCP addresses to its table and let machines look
each other up that way. If it is already your DNS server, adding a DNS
suffix (domain you own or something non-existent like baker.local) in your
DHCP settings might enable it to do that. It won't make them show up in NE,
but it might just enable the name resolution.

If you're picking up the router, which I assume is over UPnP, then you're
presumably set to Private network with Discovery and File Sharing enabled
(though UPnP will work with just Discovery enabled, so double-check all
that....). If none of these help, I'll get in touch with the PM for NetBT
and see if he can help us further.

"Shawn Baker" <Shawn...@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:4755AB43-9A05-4D43...@microsoft.com...

Jerry

Feb 25, 2007, 1:28:29 PM2/25/07
I tried most of the suggestions on this list to no avail. This is very unfortunate as I am a PC technician and am having this kind of difficulty, I cannot imagine a standard user going through this. Please help.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Jerry

Feb 25, 2007, 2:08:31 PM2/25/07
whew.. after checking both PCs and the router, I disabled each of the firewalls and blocking services and virtually left it wide open.. It suddenly worked both ways for all intended shared purposes.. I subsequently went back and enabled just the microsoft firewalls and it is still working.. I will further diagnose to find the offending party..

Thanks everyone..

Pastor Jerry
www.NewHopeQC.com

Shawn Baker

Feb 25, 2007, 9:39:00 PM2/25/07
I now have NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP on the Vista PC and both Win2k PCs.
Still can't resolve by name.

I'm not sure if the router proxies DNS. It's a Linksys WRT54G. I tried
adding a local suffix to the Vista box and one Win2k box. Still couldn't
resolve.

I did use LMHOSTS and that worked. *BUT*, I don't want to use static IPs
because the Vista laptop will be used on other networks where everything is
DHCP.

This is frustrating with a capital F. Your continued help is appreciated.

Sen [MSFT]

Feb 25, 2007, 11:40:05 PM2/25/07
Shawn,
Can you please switch Vista over to DHCP and reply with more information?

1. Does your HP - Vista PC have any 3rd party firewall (or integrated
Anti-Virus/Firewall) solutions like s`Windows Live One Care, Norton Internet
Security?
2. Can you please execute the following commands on Vista (from an elevated
command prompt) and Win2k and reply with output?
nbtstat -a <VISTA_PC_NAME>
nbtstat -a <WIN2K_PC1_NAME>
nbtstat -a <WIN2K_PC2_NAME>
nbtstat -n
nbtstat -r
sc query browser
ipconfig /all
3. You dont have any WinXP PC, do you?
4. Are your computers in a domain?

Thanks,
Sen.

Shawn Baker

Feb 26, 2007, 8:02:06 PM2/26/07
BINGO!

When you mentioned Norton Internet Security, it dawned on me as a
possibility. I found it was indeed installed on the Vista laptop. After
dechecking the options that were blocking NetBIOS and Windows File/Print
sharing, the laptop can now "see" the other Windows 2000 PCs on the LAN. They
now appear in network area of Explorer and I am able to do file/print sharing.

Thank you so much for the help. I was ready to give up.

And to answer my original question for anyone else who may be wondering -
YES, Windows Vista is able to network nicely with Windows 2000 computers.

Sen [MSFT]

Feb 26, 2007, 8:17:00 PM2/26/07
Shawn,
Excellent! If you have any issues with Vista' file and printer sharing, you
may want to check out
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx.

Ric Sterling

Apr 7, 2007, 12:48:00 AM4/7/07
OMG Shawn: I think I may found the answer to my problem....I hope this
resloves my Printer Problem. Can you please give me more details on this??
my E-mail is fish1...@yahoo.com.
Please help in giving a step by step details.

Shawn Baker

Apr 10, 2007, 10:00:01 AM4/10/07
I had fits trying to get a new Vista PC to see my two Windows 2000 PCs on my
home network. It would see them if I pinged them by IP address, but not if I
pinged them by name. There were two issues.

The first is that I had to go into the TCP/IP settings on all three machines
and force them to have NetBIOS turned on.

That alone did not fix it. I was very aggravated at that point. I had
checked before to make sure that the Windows firewall product that comes with
Vista was not running at all, so didn't think it was a firewall issue. Then I
believe someone asked if I had Norton firewall running. I found that yes,
Norton firewall was installed and was configured to block NetBIOS traffic. I
changed the settings to allow NetBIOS and then the Vista PC was able to see
the other computers. They won't be displayed in Vista's network map diagram,
but they do show up in Windows explorer.

Hope this will help you out.

-- Shawn

deadflower

Apr 10, 2007, 10:50:01 AM4/10/07
I have the same problem. I have a Vista computer and a XP laptop. I have
exhausted all the procedures, and now I am exhausted. It was so simple when I
had an XP computer. Hopefully someone will come up with an easy-to-follow
solution.

George Hamaty

Dec 9, 2007, 1:01:01 PM12/9/07
Jeff,

Many thanks for your great tip. Just a few steps to install the LLTD file
from KB, the whole WLAN Workgroup was detected and things went as they
should.

George