Cannot see Vista's computer from XP Professional

Eric

Mar 6, 2007, 1:52:15 AM3/6/07
I have 2 computers, one is running Vista Ultimate, and 1 is running XP
Professional. In file sharing, Vista can see shared file in XP.
However, computer running XP cannot see shared "Public" folder In Vista.
Vista's computer already grant right to everyone to using "Puiblic" folder.
I saw a "lock" icon appear inside the networking icon from networking setting
in XP, actually not only network, even 1394 networking. What's the problem?
How to solve it?

Thank you for help in advance.

Keith D

Mar 6, 2007, 5:06:11 AM3/6/07

Kim [MS]

Mar 7, 2007, 11:02:55 AM3/7/07
Eric,

I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. We're rewriting some of our
Networking Help pages to clearly and simply address these types of issues.
Check out this page and the related links and let me know if it doesn't solve
your problem:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/5723d061-b884-40da-b5e7-94a55f6fcead1033.mspx#EGD;
and
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e20e6875-7210-47bb-bf19-5c60e6ae86151033.mspx

Let me know. Thanks.

whewinCalifornia

May 18, 2007, 2:18:00 PM5/18/07
Kim [MS],

I have a home network with four computers running XP Home, one computer
running XP Professional (Version 2002, SP 2), and a new Sony Vaio laptop
running Vista Business. The Vista laptop can access folders on all of the XP
computers. However, only the XP Home computers can access folders on the
Vista laptop. The XP Professional computer cannot access folders on the
Vista laptop.

The XP Professional computer can "see" the Vista laptop (in workgroup
computers), it cannot see any folders on it (not even the public folder) and
it cannot access the Vista computer. When I try to access the Vista computer
from the XP Professional computer, I get the message "[Vista computer] is not
accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. Access denied." I am, of course, the administrator for all
computers. The XP Pro computer is registered as a user with adminsitrator's
rights and full access on the Vista computer. I double and triple checked
the passwords and user name and all of the permissions to make sure the XP
Pro computer is fully authorized in Vista.

The XP Professional computer can access folders on the other XP computers.
I have looked at the two help files you posted before. They are not
pertinent. The Vista and XP are computers are all configured in the fashion
suggested by the help files. I have created users and passwords for each XP
computer on the Vista and, of course, on the respective XP computers. Any
help would be appreciated. Thank you.

John

May 18, 2007, 2:31:17 PM5/18/07
Try creating a new user with admin rights on all your computers. Be sure
file sharing is enabled on the Vista computer. The real ADMINISTRATOR
account in Vista is hidden so being a Vista user with admin rights is
different that an XP ADMINISTRATOR.

"whewinCalifornia" <whewinCa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:99297F4C-1E1C-4889...@microsoft.com...

Chuck

May 18, 2007, 3:01:49 PM5/18/07
On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:18:00 -0700, whewinCalifornia
<whewinCa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Kim [MS]" wrote:

>> "Eric" wrote:
>>
>> > I have 2 computers, one is running Vista Ultimate, and 1 is running XP
>> > Professional. In file sharing, Vista can see shared file in XP.
>> > However, computer running XP cannot see shared "Public" folder In Vista.
>> > Vista's computer already grant right to everyone to using "Puiblic" folder.
>> > I saw a "lock" icon appear inside the networking icon from networking setting
>> > in XP, actually not only network, even 1394 networking. What's the problem?
>> > How to solve it?
>> >
>> > Thank you for help in advance.

>> Eric,
>>
>> I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. We're rewriting some of our
>> Networking Help pages to clearly and simply address these types of issues.
>> Check out this page and the related links and let me know if it doesn't solve
>> your problem:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/5723d061-b884-40da-b5e7-94a55f6fcead1033.mspx#EGD;
>> and
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e20e6875-7210-47bb-bf19-5c60e6ae86151033.mspx
>>
>> Let me know. Thanks.

>Kim [MS],

>I have a home network with four computers running XP Home, one computer
>running XP Professional (Version 2002, SP 2), and a new Sony Vaio laptop
>running Vista Business. The Vista laptop can access folders on all of the XP
>computers. However, only the XP Home computers can access folders on the
>Vista laptop. The XP Professional computer cannot access folders on the
>Vista laptop.
>
>The XP Professional computer can "see" the Vista laptop (in workgroup
>computers), it cannot see any folders on it (not even the public folder) and
>it cannot access the Vista computer. When I try to access the Vista computer
>from the XP Professional computer, I get the message "[Vista computer] is not
>accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
>Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
>permissions. Access denied." I am, of course, the administrator for all
>computers. The XP Pro computer is registered as a user with adminsitrator's
>rights and full access on the Vista computer. I double and triple checked
>the passwords and user name and all of the permissions to make sure the XP
>Pro computer is fully authorized in Vista.
>
>The XP Professional computer can access folders on the other XP computers.
>I have looked at the two help files you posted before. They are not
>pertinent. The Vista and XP are computers are all configured in the fashion
>suggested by the help files. I have created users and passwords for each XP
>computer on the Vista and, of course, on the respective XP computers. Any
>help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Eric,

To start, I would check the NetBT setting and any personal firewalls. This
sounds like an SMB issue.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html

And check an obscure setting, restrictanonymous.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html

If that doesn't help, look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

whewinCalifornia

May 18, 2007, 4:59:03 PM5/18/07
John,

Your suggestion worked. It took a while for the XP Pro computer to update
the antivirus program, so I could not test the new logon name until that was
done, but it worked. Chuck, thank you for your response. Fortunately, I
will not have to implement it. Thank you both again.

emork

May 20, 2007, 9:36:36 PM5/20/07

Check your norton internet settings. You need to allow the other
computers access through it by entering their LAN IP address. This is
how I got it to work.

--
emork