Re: cannot rename network adapter in Device Manager

glob

Mar 30, 2008, 7:23:24 PM3/30/08

What you need to do is enable hidden devices in Device Manager and
remove all the old devices with the old numbers (ie, #1, #2, #3). See
here for instructions

'| Windows Vista Guide |: How to Remove Unused Drivers and Devices'
(http://windowsaddict.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-remove-unused-drivers-and.html)

Then to reset the numbering for new devices. Load regedit and go here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Network\{big long hex
number}\Descriptions

There will be a few hex numbers after \Network\ but it'll be the one
with the "Descriptions" branch. Under this branch you'll see all the
numbering strings. Juts delete the ones you want to reset.

Then go back to Device Manger and select "Scan for Hardware Changes"

--
glob

gux2k3

Jul 31, 2009, 4:13:21 AM7/31/09

Thanks a lot glob this solution worked like a charm I used this because
somehow windows perfmon does not like the "#" on the instance name, now
I can use my lcd display to monitor my network traffic
thanks!!!!

--
gux2k3
gux2k3's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/119993.htm