Cannot add any more new contacts

NBC

Jul 18, 2007, 10:52:02 AM7/18/07
When I try to add a new contact or group to my contact list in windows mail
(Vista), the button blinks and then nothing happens. I'm still at the same
screen and there is no window or form to add a new contact. Any suggestions?

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 18, 2007, 2:25:50 PM7/18/07
This problem seems related to the July 10 Windows Update KB933928.
Some people have obtained relief by uninstalling KB933928.
If all else fails, try upgrading to Windows Live Mail.

Gary VanderMolen

Charles W Davis

Jul 18, 2007, 8:39:19 PM7/18/07
Gary,
You could have also said upgrade to Thunderbird.
"Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 19, 2007, 1:41:03 AM7/19/07
Agreed, but the average user would feel more comfortable
staying with a Microsoft solution. Also, the migration process
from WM to WLM is especially smooth; for example, it even
transfers message rules.

Gary VanderMolen

NBC

Jul 19, 2007, 12:58:02 PM7/19/07
Thank you very much. I removed the update and now can add the contacts.

George

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 19, 2007, 2:11:51 PM7/19/07
Thanks for the feedback.
It seems strange that an update ostensibly issued to improve
Vista's activation and validation process, could result in failure to
add new contacts.

Gary VanderMolen

Rod H

Jul 23, 2007, 9:56:01 AM7/23/07
Gary..I too have the same problem.....and have tried and tried to remove
KB933928.....several times. It doesn't seem to matter whether that update
is there or not....I get the same behavoir...."unable to choose recipients"
and the entire windows contacts functions are hosed up too....

I really don't want to restore to a previous point.....I'd like all the most
recent updates as possible and to get back windows contacts
working......removing singly KB933928 is not doing the trick for
me....unfortunately.
I'm desperate and may have to call and pay for MS support to get this
resolved...

Thanks for following this issue and all the help you gave to the many others
that are having the same problem.

regards
Rod H

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 23, 2007, 1:09:03 PM7/23/07
I agree that, in the long run, uninstalling Windows updates is an
unacceptable solution. I'd use it for a very short term fix, thereby
giving me time to assess other options. That said, at least one
poster here stated that he had to uninstall all recent updates,
not just KB933928, before the "unable to choose recipients" error
went away.

Your best solution is to upgrade Windows Mail to Windows Live
Mail: http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Gary VanderMolen

Rod H

Jul 24, 2007, 11:32:07 AM7/24/07
Thanks Gary..I did as you suggested and converted to Windows LIVE Mail from
Windows Mail. All my problems went away and importing my messages and
accounts from Mail to Live was fairly easy.
I did get the error:
"One or more messages in your outbox do not have a valid account specified"
, but after removing the default account and re-creating it manually, seemed
to reolve that problem too. Overall Windows Live will indeed be as good if
not better than Windows Mail. Thanks for the encouragement and the download
link to Windows Live Mail executable - much appreciated.

Best Regards, Rod

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 24, 2007, 1:39:47 PM7/24/07
Thanks for the feedback.
I wouldn't be recommending WLM if I didn't think it is a better
(and less buggy) product than WM.

Gary VanderMolen

NBC

Jul 30, 2007, 10:56:02 AM7/30/07
I decided to give WLM a try. I imported all the settings from WM, but now I
can't seem to receive mail. The only difference I can see is that in WM I do
not check the authentification box for incoming mail. In WLM I have to check
one of three boxes. I tried all of them but still can't recieve mail. Any
ideas?

Julian

Jul 30, 2007, 11:16:28 AM7/30/07

"NBC" <N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Perhaps you are getting screwed by Norton or McAfee antivirus.

Are you not seeing any error messages?

NBC

Jul 30, 2007, 12:44:01 PM7/30/07

Yes I am, here it is:
inactivity. Account: 'Church', Server: 'pop.norbap.org', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Julian

Jul 30, 2007, 1:00:37 PM7/30/07

"NBC" <N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If a Norton or McAfee av user...

Consider uninstalling it entirely and using a tried and tested,
free, compatible alternative such as
Avast.... http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
but don't use the superfluous email scanning component.

See here http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

ps.

Please leave a little pertinent text from the message to which you are
replying because it helps to see things in context and not everyone will
necessarilly have seen the previous post.

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 30, 2007, 9:30:38 PM7/30/07
Bad news. It turns out that your mail server is one of the few that
causes WLM's APOP bug to occur. There is no fix at this time.
Microsoft has indicated that the next WLM release will have that
issue fixed.
All you can do for now is download the emails from that account
by some other means. If you need help re-creating the shortcut
for WM, let me know.

Gary VanderMolen

Jairam@discussions.microsoft.com Aditya Jairam

Nov 24, 2007, 12:24:01 AM11/24/07
Hey Gary,

Thanks for the quick insight...the windows live mail rocks...and hope this
works without interruption...

Regards,
Aditya Jairam

Gary VanderMolen

Nov 24, 2007, 2:19:21 AM11/24/07
Thanks for the feedback.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"Aditya Jairam" <Aditya Jai...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kathy, oceanside, ca

Dec 15, 2007, 4:03:00 PM12/15/07
I have asked this before, but now have made more changes. I uninstalled
mirosoft office 2000, everything. then did the windows mail. Then checked my
programs and I do not have this update, but I just received this computer
about three weeks ago. So what shall I do, I still cannot open the new
contacts window. It acts like a blocked pop-up window of sorts. Besides doing
windows live mail (I really don't want to have a hotmail email address).

Gary VanderMolen

Dec 15, 2007, 4:10:36 PM12/15/07
There is no requirement for you to have a Hotmail address in order
to use Windows Live Mail. Where did you get that idea?
Windows Live Mail does everything that Windows Mail does, plus
it has the added *option* of using a Hotmail account if you wish.
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

"Kathy, oceanside, ca" <Kathyoce...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jtmariner

Dec 30, 2007, 12:32:51 PM12/30/07

The 7/19/07 post wrt "reverse a July 10 microsft patch release "Windows
Update KB933928"" not working now, because this update is not on my new
Vista OS. But problems seems the same. Using Windows Mail. I have a
few (~8) contacts, but can not add new ones. Screen blinks, then I am
back to my original contact list.
How do I correct so that I can add new contacts. Hope to not need to
change to WLM

--
jtmariner

Gary VanderMolen

Dec 31, 2007, 3:53:12 AM12/31/07
The only fix I know of is to switch to WLM.
--
Gary VanderMolen (MS-MVP WLM)

jtmariner

Dec 31, 2007, 9:13:35 AM12/31/07

Heh, all who are watching this thread, "can't add contacts." I just
installed WLM as Gary suggested, piece of cake, and all problems fixed.
Much better visibility to identities, contacts, ... Why didn't Mr.
Gates use WLM instead of WM in Vista?

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Dec 31, 2007, 10:29:51 AM12/31/07

"jtmariner" <jtmarine...@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

Probably because it wasn't ready in time. Microsoft apparantly
plans to replace WM with WLM later.

Gary VanderMolen

Jan 1, 2008, 2:19:42 AM1/1/08
Glad to hear that WLM is working out well for you.

--
Gary VanderMolen (MS-MVP WLM)

GlennG

Feb 29, 2008, 2:42:04 PM2/29/08
THIS SOLUTION WORKS:

I had the same problem. Solution 1 is that if you get a new VISTA computer,
DO NOT try to use Outlook 2000. The new WINDOWS MAIL included with VISTA is
better than Outlook 2000 and you should have no problems. However, if you
are now trying to use WINDOWS MAIL after configuring OUTLOOK 2000 and have a
problem with WINDOWS CONTACTS try #2.

There are 2 files that are causing the problem. wab32.dll & wab32res.dll
First check that these two files are in the two following locations:

1) C:\windows\system32
2) C:\programfiles\commonfiles\system

If they are both there, so far, so good. Go into the C:\windows\system32
folder and find these two files. Rename wab32.dll to wab32old.dll and
wab32res.dll to wab32resold.dll. Leave the files in
C:\programfiles\commonfiles\system unchanged.

That's it!! Now, with WINDOWS MAIL you should be able to add to contacts and
use the contacts for picking email recepients.

If this did not work for you, I would change the two file names back.

zior...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2008, 2:08:38 PM4/7/08
back to this topic. i think this is a memory issue. im experiencing
the same problem from one day to the other and without doing any
recent update (just confirmed).
i tried openning a grouop without any success. after a few minutes, i
managed to open a group and add contacts. this group was the smaller
though, around 50. tried later with a group of 150 contacts and 3
minutes passed before it opened. now im trying to open a way much
bigger group. 15 minutes and counting ....

ill try wlm in the meantime

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Apr 7, 2008, 2:47:15 PM4/7/08

<zior...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Your message isn't very clear.

However, this may help: Click on Tools, then Windows Contacts,
then right click in the empty space under the toolbar of the resulting
new window, then click on Customize This Folder, then the triangle,
then Contacts, then Apply, then OK, then close the Contacts window.

For the slowness problem, what if any antivirus programs do you
have? Some of them cause assorted problems in Windows Mail,
although seldom immediately.

Also, what if any antispyware programs do you have and have you
run them and the antivirus program(s) lately?

Do you know how much RAM memory you have? Some cheap
PCs come with small amounts such as 512MB, but Vista runs
better with more, such as 2 GB.

jmybsy

Nov 23, 2008, 3:22:01 PM11/23/08
How do you remove the update ---- I can not find a button to add contacts.

Gordon

Nov 23, 2008, 4:09:25 PM11/23/08
"jmybsy" <jmy...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> How do you remove the update ----

Start-Control panel-Programs and Features-View Installed Updates....

Gary VanderMolen

Nov 24, 2008, 1:10:48 AM11/24/08
You are quoting a very old message which is no longer applicable.

If the toolbar in Contacts doesn't have all the options, then the
folder type for Contacts is incorrect. Try this:
Open Windows Contacts. Right-click somewhere in that
empty white space to the far right. Select Customize This Folder,
click the little triangle, and from the dropdown list select Contacts,
then click OK.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)