Windows Mail Recovered Folder

Florida@discussions.microsoft.com Bob Florida

Jun 25, 2007, 5:52:02 PM6/25/07
Help! I couldn't delete an email in my Inbox. I followed the directions
about deleteing the 2 files in WindowsMail.MSMessageStore under Search.
Now everytime I close Windows Mail and reopen it, I have a new folder at the
bottom under Recovered Folders. It has the date and is blank.
How do I stop Windows Mail from creating a new folder each time I open the
program?

Thanks...

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Jun 25, 2007, 9:19:24 PM6/25/07
"Bob Florida" <Bob Flo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It will keep creating that folder until it recovers all of the mail not yet
in its database. Let it work in the background for a while.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

Bob Florida

Jun 28, 2007, 6:44:03 AM6/28/07
Frank,

This has been going on for days now. Everytime I exit Windows Mail and
re-open the program, it adds another thread at the bottom under Recovered
Folder. If I delete them, they come back. Should I just let them be and not
bother? Will they stop at some point or will I have hundreds over time?
There has to be a way of turning this off. If not, Vista is just garbage. I
have begun to tell everyone I know to stick with XP or go to Mac. Is
Microsoft going to come out with an Upgrade and FIX?
Thanks again for your assistance.
Bob

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 28, 2007, 2:11:01 PM6/28/07
Why stay with a mail program that keeps messing up?
Try Windows Live Mail:
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Gary VanderMolen

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Jun 28, 2007, 7:49:39 PM6/28/07
"Bob Florida" <BobFl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It will stop when it has recovered all of the old mail. If you keep closing
it too soon it will go on forever.

Bob Florida

Jul 2, 2007, 9:04:01 AM7/2/07
I guess I don't understand what you mean will stop. This started after I
deleted those 2 files and now I don't have most of my old emails. If I click
on the date of a folder in the Recovered Folder and then go back to my Inbox
all of my emails in the Inbox are gone and all of the other emails in other
folders are gone. I have to reboot the computer (exiting out of WinMail)
doesn't help. I imported some of my messages from my Outlook Express and
they are in an Imported Folder. I assume because they are from a different
version. If I create a new folder and move them there, they disappear too.

If I purchase Outlook 2007 to use instead of Vista Windows Mail, will this
alleviate my problem? Can I import my messages from Outlook 2003 to Outlook
2007?

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 2, 2007, 2:34:57 PM7/2/07
Why purchase Outlook 2007? WLM is free:
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Not sure if WLM will recover your missing messages, but it would
probably do a better job at this than Outlook could.

Gary VanderMolen

fataalbert

Jul 2, 2007, 3:44:04 PM7/2/07
Bob,

I have the same problem and I can't get rid of these empty files the program
generates. I'm ready to toss Vista out the window......no pun intended.

Please help if you have a solution.

Albert

Kevin Young

Jul 2, 2007, 6:34:12 PM7/2/07
Outlook 2003 which you appear to already have is compatible with Windows
Vista.

"Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 2, 2007, 8:23:24 PM7/2/07
Why throw the baby out with the bathwater?
Yes, Windows Mail has some serious bugs. Microsoft has fixed many of
these bugs but the fixes were incorporated into WLM, not WM.
Microsoft has announced that WLM is a replacement for WM. So,
why stay with a crippled program that not even MS supports anymore?
Get WLM:
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Gary VanderMolen

Bob Florida

Jul 3, 2007, 8:30:02 AM7/3/07
Gary,
What is it with WLM that you keep pushing? If it is another MS Beta product,
my guess is that is another junk product that will eat email for lunch. MS
should correct the problems with WM instead of pushing another product on
Vista users who were duped into thinking that anything MS puts out will not
have problems. I am not interested in another Beta product and that is why I
was asking about Outlook. If it is compatible with Vista and I assume it is,
why not use something that works, if that truely is the case.
Hopefully someone out there can tell me if they have installed Outlook 2007
and it is working with VISTA???

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Jul 3, 2007, 10:43:02 AM7/3/07

> Gary,
> What is it with WLM that you keep pushing? If it is another MS Beta
> product,
> my guess is that is another junk product that will eat email for lunch.
> MS
> should correct the problems with WM instead of pushing another product on
> Vista users who were duped into thinking that anything MS puts out will
> not
> have problems. I am not interested in another Beta product and that is
> why I
> was asking about Outlook. If it is compatible with Vista and I assume it
> is,
> why not use something that works, if that truely is the case.
> Hopefully someone out there can tell me if they have installed Outlook
> 2007
> and it is working with VISTA???

I don't use it, but yes, Outlook 2007 works on Vista.

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 3, 2007, 4:18:37 PM7/3/07
What MS "should" do, and what they *actually* do are two different
things, and it is time you faced up to the reality of the way things are.

I don't "push" WLM, I only suggest it as a free alternative for those
who are having severe or repeated problems with WM. By all means,
if you own a copy of Outlook 2003 or 2007, use it with Vista.
I have Outlook 2007 installed in Vista, and it works fine.

Gary VanderMolen

tomdoy

Mar 2, 2008, 2:44:42 PM3/2/08

I've been following this thread as I've had similar problems and am
using Vista Home Premium. Changing to Windows Live Mail was a great
success but I still have a problem with the recuring Windows Mail
Recovered folder within the still present Windows Mail of a second user
despite all mail accounts having been deleted and them also using WLM. I
have tried to simply uninstall Windows Mail but am unable to locate this
option. Any help gratefully accepted.

--
tomdoy

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Mar 2, 2008, 3:26:51 PM3/2/08

"tomdoy" <tomdoy...@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
Windows Mail is a part of Vista and very hard to uninstall without
taking the rest of Vista with it. You can, however, delete the
shortcuts that make it easy to start.

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 2, 2008, 5:42:53 PM3/2/08
What are you doing that is causing Windows Mail to run?
It should be dormant now that you've switched to WLM.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

tomdoy

Mar 3, 2008, 5:12:18 AM3/3/08

After deletion of the offending folder and contents it appears that the
folder is recreated and the files are added daily in the background,
possibly at start up. Windows mail is never used and only opened
occasionally to check and then remove the accumulating files.

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 3, 2008, 3:47:48 PM3/3/08
Delete the following directory:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail

This will delete all messages and folders stored within Windows Mail,
so be sure to export any important messages first.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

tomdoy

Mar 3, 2008, 6:07:35 PM3/3/08
Thanks Gary. I've had a look at the directory and it contains over 5000
items most of which are the problem entries but some are recent emails
generated within Windows Live Mail. If I go ahead and delete this
directory will it affect the future operation of WLM?

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 4, 2008, 12:04:47 AM3/4/08
I don't know why you are seeing WLM emails within that WM directory.
Deleting that WM directory resets WM as though it were brand new.
It should have absolutely no effect on WLM.

tomdoy

Mar 4, 2008, 1:44:40 PM3/4/08
Well I've at last managed to delete the Windows Mail directory after
initialy being told it was in use by another program. It took some time
to sort out but it's finaly gone. Hopefully so has the problem. An
option to open Windows mail is still there however - do I dare open it
to see if the 'recovered file' folder is reinstated? By the way there
were actually over 60000 items present many of which related to Windows
Live Mail which still seems to be working normally. Will let you know if
it has fixed the problem long term. Thanks for your help.

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 5, 2008, 2:46:19 AM3/5/08
Now that you've deleted that directory, you should be able to open
Windows Mail without that Recovered folder showing up.

tomdoy

Mar 6, 2008, 11:36:35 AM3/6/08

Horray!! At last no more accumulating 'recovered messages'. Thank you so
much Gary.

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 6, 2008, 4:52:48 PM3/6/08
You're welcome.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

INC. @discussions.microsoft.com Bhosted.net INC.

Mar 8, 2008, 11:10:00 PM3/8/08
This problem is not as easy to fix if you need to keep the profile intact. I
have a client that has over 5000 folders and 3.5 gig of windows mail along
with many news groups to which have been checked off as read or not read. So
deleting the folder to fix the problem is not an option. There must be a
registry entry somewhere that is making windows mail reindex what it thinks
are lost or broken links to files. In this case image 5000 folders scrolling
open in the recovery folder every time you open windows mail and how long it
would take. So, someone must have an answer. This seems to be a common
problem with this new version of mail.

Thomas Chapman
Bhosted.net INC.

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 10, 2008, 1:00:10 AM3/10/08
I don't know how common it is, but we have seen this problem reported
here quite a few times.
Database corruption in Windows Mail is not easy to fix. Aside from the
drastic solution I provided earlier in this thread, the only other thing you
can do is upgrade to Windows Live Mail. At least it gets you away from
Windows Mail which seems to be relatively prone to corruption from external
sources.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

"Bhosted.net INC." <Bhosted.net INC. @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Schneider@discussions.microsoft.com John Schneider

Mar 10, 2008, 7:14:02 PM3/10/08
Hi Gary

I ran into the same problem.
Starting with "unable to delete" in Windows Mail. I tried to delete the
WindowsMail.MSMessageStore. I got into the problem with Windows Mail keeps
adding more and more recovered messages on each start up.

I upgraded to Windows Live Mail. However WLM also likes to continualy add
recovered messages on startup. I don't think the problem still exists in WLM.
I can repeat the problem with WLM whenever I need to rebuild the database by
deleting the WindowsMail.MSMessageStore. (I running on a danish windows vista
and I don't know whether that is causing the confusion that files are called
"Sent Item" but folder in WLM is in danish like "Send Post" and therefore
like to readd the same folder again and again.).

John

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 10, 2008, 10:35:41 PM3/10/08
Deleting the WindowsMail.MSMessageStore (or its WLM equivalent) is not
recommended because it can result in generation of 'recovered' messages at
each startup. It is much cleaner to delete

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
or its Windows Live Mail equivalent. Of course, one would first need to export
any messages that need to be saved.

Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

"John Schneider" <John Schn...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Annie

Mar 11, 2008, 6:31:04 AM3/11/08
I am having the same problem I use WLM and WM every day for different
reasons for different people for different parts of the world. The recovered
problem is a real nuisance. Did you find a solution please. I am not
technical and only use my computer as a tool.
--
Annie

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 11, 2008, 6:25:01 PM3/11/08
If the 'recovered' problem occurs only in WM, why not abandon it and
use only WLM for all your email needs.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

Parselmouth

Mar 13, 2008, 9:21:27 AM3/13/08

I have this same problem with the recovered messages, so download WLM a
while ago and only used it a few times as I have found it even more
unstable and unreliable than WM, not to mention that it organises things
in a way that just doesn't make sense to me.

I tried to open it just now and it stopped responding. Closed it down,
opened it up again and tried to import messages from WM, it stopped
responding. What a surprise (not). Every time I try to do anything with
Vista, it stops responding. I just don't know what to do to make it any
better, but having read this thread I'm wondering whether my whole
computer is full of 'recovered messages' (even though I thought I had
deleted them) and that's why it just doesn't work properly.

--
Parselmouth

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Mar 13, 2008, 10:55:27 AM3/13/08

"Parselmouth" <Parselmou...@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

Which of the programs with the abbreviation WLM? If it's Windows
Live Mail, you'll get better answers in newsgroup:

microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

If it's Windows Live Messenger, you'll get better answers in
newsgroup:

microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 13, 2008, 3:49:18 PM3/13/08
Not all who try Windows Live Mail (WLM) like it. As you say, it
does have a different way of organizing things.
Perhaps the instability you found in WLM was caused by it trying
to import a corrupt database from WM. You can reset WM so that
it no longer has that 'recovered messages' problem.
Navigate to C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail.
Delete the whole Windows Mail directory, but if you have important
emails that you want to save, be sure to export them first. This will
reset the WM database to a pristine state.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Mar 13, 2008, 8:45:14 PM3/13/08
"Parselmouth" <Parselmou...@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

Reads like some third-party program is messing with any mail program you
try.

Email scanning should be turned off in any anti-virus. Also exclude EML
files from the scan. It provides no
protection not provided by the regular resident protection.
Besides that, McAfee and Norton are not compatible with Windows Mail and
Outlook Express and should be uninstalled. The latest version of Trend's
anti-virus seems to be causing problems too.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Parselmouth

Mar 14, 2008, 3:33:40 AM3/14/08

Thanks. I tried importing my messages into Windows Live Mail and after a
couple of crashes, it imported all the empty Recovered Message folders
and none of my emails, then it crashed. I'm worried that if I try it
again, it will import all the recovered messages again and the problem
will be twice as bad. How can I pick out the good emails from the
corrupt? Impossible I should think, but there are mails I need to keep.

I'm wondering if this problem is causing the other problems I'm
experiencing with Vista, of increased slowness of response and regular
crashing, but having read through some of the other posts on the forum,
it seems common with Vista. I've tried all the usual stuff of updating
drivers, clearing out all the rubbish, running Registry cleaner,
adjusting graphics performance, etc.

--
Parselmouth

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 14, 2008, 5:12:49 PM3/14/08
As I understand it, the messages you are trying to keep are
currently in Windows Mail. Instead of having WLM import directly
from WM, try this. Open WM and export any emails you want to
save. Close it. Then delete

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
Since WLM is also corrupted by now, delete
C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
Restart WLM, then manually import from the saved email folder.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

SandyC

Mar 29, 2008, 10:47:00 PM3/29/08
I tried to delete the Recovered Messages folder but it keeps appearing and
added files to it when I open up Windows Mail. A tech person told me to click
on Work Offline and delete the folder then they go away. But when I shut down
my computer and open up Windows Mail the Recovered Messages folder appears. I
tried deleting the WindowsMail.MSMessageStore but I'm not sure if I did it or
not. When I open up WM it opens up about a third of the screen which I was
told that wasn't correct. It's supposed to open up full screen. My problem
with this first started when I got the error message, Message could not be
displayed. Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying
this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
again. I took my hardrive to a tech and he somehow created my Recovered
Messages folder. I think he tried to Import and Exported some of my email
messages and saved them to the desktop and things aren't running right.

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 30, 2008, 1:05:56 AM3/30/08
As I said below, deleting the WindowsMail.MSMessageStore file is
not recommended. Did you try the advice I offered below, which was

to delete C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
(after exporting any messages you want saved)?

If that advice does not work for you, your best alternative is to upgrade
to Windows Live Mail: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

Michael S.

Apr 26, 2008, 8:19:01 AM4/26/08
Good day. For reasons unclear to me, I lost all contents of my emails,
except the sender's address and title. I tried to recover the contents. I
was not successful and have moved on. However, I now have the annoying
presence of recovered files everytime I open Windows Mail and have to spend a
few moments deleting the contents. If I do not, everytime I open Windows
mail, the the continue to appear and replicate, continuing to recreate the
same files. I have Windows Vista Home Premium (I miss XP!). Why is this
happening? Why can Microsoft not repair this?. Can anyone help? Thank you.
Michael S.

Steve Cochran

Apr 26, 2008, 8:23:41 AM4/26/08
Try running the compact and repair database functions of my Windows Mail
Utility and see if that helps rectify the problem (www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/).

steve

"Michael S." <Mich...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

Apr 26, 2008, 3:18:41 PM4/26/08
If Steve's suggestion does not help, there are two other options:

1. (easy): Upgrade to Windows Live Mail: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

2. (not so easy): Reset Windows Mail. Go to
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html
and scroll down to the section "How to Backup and Reset Windows Mail."

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

Parselmouth

Apr 27, 2008, 3:18:24 AM4/27/08

I tried the solution of exporting my mails and deleting the Windows Mail
file and this worked very successfully for me, no more recovered
messages. I had had the problem for so long that when I went to delete,
there was nearly a Gb of recovered messages, and my laptop has been much
faster and more stable since I got rid of them.

Thanks very much for the info.

--
Parselmouth

Gary VanderMolen