Outlook

Laurie

Jul 27, 2007, 9:08:06 AM7/27/07
I am transferring files from my old computer, cannot seem to import the pst
file. Should it be saved in a different format to be imported? or is there a
way to import the pst file

Rainald Taesler

Jul 27, 2007, 11:47:16 AM7/27/07
Laurie shared these words of wisdom:

> I am transferring files from my old computer, cannot seem to import
> the pst file. Should it be saved in a different format to be
> imported? or is there a way to import the pst file

Outlook has to be installed for enabling the import of data from the
PST.

Rainald

Laurie

Jul 27, 2007, 12:38:02 PM7/27/07
Not sure I follow. The version of office loaded with Vista does not contain
Outlook as the system is loaded microsoft mail which is the sucessor to
Outlook. What I want to do is import the files from my old computer but when
I transfer the files the system will not access or see the backup.pst file

Rainald Taesler

Jul 27, 2007, 1:12:27 PM7/27/07
Laurie shared these words of wisdom:

>>> I am transferring files from my old computer, cannot seem to import
>>> the pst file. Should it be saved in a different format to be
>>> imported? or is there a way to import the pst file
>>
>> Outlook has to be installed for enabling the import of data from the
>> PST.
>

> Not sure I follow. The version of office loaded with Vista does not
> contain Outlook as the system is loaded microsoft mail which is the
> sucessor to Outlook.

No. WinMail not at all is the successor of Outlook (the same with
Contacts and Calendar).
WinMail is the successor of *Outlook*Express* which had nothing to do
with Outlook.
Outlook is a far more powerful instrument than the Vista built-in
goodies, especially for business usage and by no way did MS want it to
be succeeded by Vista instruments.

> What I want to do is import the files from my
> old computer but when I transfer the files the system will not
> access or see the backup.pst file

As said: the import of data from a PST needs Outlook to be installed on
the machine.
You might temporarily install the Outlook you had on your old computer
or just download the trial version from the MS website.
No way around this.

Rainald