Windows mail won't open second time

Gemius

May 5, 2008, 3:05:00 PM5/5/08
I've had no trouble with Windows Mail until recently. Now the first time I
open it after turning on my computer it opens OK but if I try to open it
again I get the message 'Windows Mail could not be started as another
instance of it is still running on your computer Please log off Windows and
restart you computer...
I log off and restart and sure enough it works; but only the once, then I am
back to the same message again.
Can anyone help me please.

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

May 5, 2008, 3:43:09 PM5/5/08

"Gemius" <Gem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Some antivirus programs cause a wide variety of problems in Windows Mail,
although seldom immediately. What if any antivirus programs do you have?
Do you have the option of telling all of them to stop email scanning? If
so,
does it help to leave email scanning disabled?

Steve Cochran

May 6, 2008, 6:04:13 AM5/6/08
As Robert says, antivirus or antispam software is probably holding WinMail
open. Try disabling email scanning. See point 3 and the section on WinMail
here: www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

steve

Gemius

May 7, 2008, 4:24:04 PM5/7/08
Thanks for your replies.
I'm using Windows Live OneCare for all my Virus protection and Firewall.
I turned off the Anti Virus program but it made no difference to Windows
Mail. I still had the same problem. I looked at Live OneCare settings to see
if I could turn the e mail scanning off but I couldn't see any reference to
it at all. I would appreciate it if you could explain how to do that.

I don't know what you all think but I could understand it if I was using
another companies programs. When I've stuck to Microsoft and paid good money
for their products it beggers belief that they can't prevent this sort of
thing or at least come up with an answer.

Gary VanderMolen

May 8, 2008, 2:40:17 AM5/8/08
There is no setting in OneCare for email scanning, so it is not clear
whether or not it scans email. I stopped using OneCare one year ago
because it caused a problem with my Windows Mail.
One solution is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail because it is less
prone to interference from antivirus programs:
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"Gemius" <Gem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

May 8, 2008, 8:39:41 AM5/8/08

"Gemius" <Gem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for your replies.
> I'm using Windows Live OneCare for all my Virus protection and Firewall.
> I turned off the Anti Virus program but it made no difference to Windows
> Mail. I still had the same problem. I looked at Live OneCare settings to
> see
> if I could turn the e mail scanning off but I couldn't see any reference
> it at all. I would appreciate it if you could explain how to do that.
>
> I don't know what you all think but I could understand it if I was using
> another companies programs. When I've stuck to Microsoft and paid good
> money
> for their products it beggers belief that they can't prevent this sort of
> thing or at least come up with an answer.

I think you are making false assumptions with respect to MS.

steve

Gemius

May 8, 2008, 4:03:00 PM5/8/08
Sorry Steve but all I'm saying is,
All the software is sold by Microsoft.
All of it has been paid for by me.
Windows Mail is not working properly.
Nobody knows what to do about it.
These aren't assumptions, they're all solid facts, and looking around the
internet there are others with the same problem and no answers. I know it's a
complicated business but it's not as if Microsoft don't have the money or
resources to deal with it.

Gary VanderMolen

May 8, 2008, 9:10:55 PM5/8/08
Your choice is to complain and wait for Microsoft to fix it (in which
case you might wait forever), or else become pro-active and take
matters into your own hands. To say that "Nodody knows what to
do about it" is wrong. I gave you a solution in an earlier post.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"Gemius" <Gem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gemius

May 9, 2008, 2:03:01 AM5/9/08
Yes thank you for your suggestion to use Windows Live Mail. I'd never heard
of that before. I had a look at it and my only concern was what happens to my
existing address book and saved messages. Will they still be accessible
through WLM?
I don't want to install WLM and find they've all disappeared.

Re your other comments I've had years of pro-activity.Posting these messages
is being pro-active, I just can't resist having a swipe at Microsoft.

All I want to do is use my computer for the things it was made for. I've had
great fun over the years delving into the innards of computers but at the
moment I just wish it would work so I could get on with the things I want to
do.

Gary VanderMolen

May 9, 2008, 2:56:41 AM5/9/08
There is no downside to trying WLM. The installer will copy
all your WM settings, accounts, folders and emails. Nothing in WM
is deleted. If it turns out you don't like WLM, merely uninstall, and WM
is back as your default email program. You can also run the two programs
side-by-side, for a long term evaluation. I've been running both
simultaneously for the past 14 months.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"Gemius" <Gem...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

May 9, 2008, 9:02:05 AM5/9/08
The assumption was that MS cares about fixing the software. They do not.
They have shown that for over 10 years with OE.

steve

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

May 9, 2008, 11:15:03 AM5/9/08
I don't think there's a downside to trying WLM (besides not liking it).Like
Gary, I've been using both for sometime. It didn't import everything
smoothly but that's okay.

The fact is, MS is working on WLM, but WinMail has basically been abandoned
by MS.

lynnbell69

May 9, 2008, 1:11:02 PM5/9/08
i can't open messenger

lynnbell69

May 9, 2008, 1:11:02 PM5/9/08

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

May 9, 2008, 2:16:44 PM5/9/08
We're short of Messenger experts in this newsgroup. Try one of the
newsgroups meant for discussing Messenger or Windows Live
Messenger:

microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger
microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger

"lynnbell69" <lynnb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message