SP1 Fails: Message: !! 0xc0190036 !!

VISTA_BOY

Mar 26, 2008, 9:56:11 AM3/26/08
After the SP1 download, when trying to reboot, during the SP1 installation,
there are numerous file names flashing across the black screen. Then, it
hangs up with this message flickering on the screen:

!! 0xc0190036 !! 608/68459 (HelpPane.exe)

I have tried this three times now. After the first time, I ran CHKDSK on my
boot drive after resoring an image. No errors are found in my file system.

Jay Park

Mar 27, 2008, 10:59:00 AM3/27/08
On Mar 26, 9:56 am, VISTA_BOY <VISTA...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

I'm also currently hanging at a screen that says:

!! 0xc0190036 !! 5612/68495

There appears to be no hard disk activity, the message blinks, then
hangs, then blinks. It's been going on for about a 1/2 hour now.

I'm on a HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop running Vista Home Premium

(btw - i see that you've posted this on several forums. thanks for
getting the ball rolling on this, hopefully we'll have a fix soon)

Jay Park

Mar 27, 2008, 11:01:09 AM3/27/08
oops, the actual error says:

!! 0xc0190036 !! 5612/68495 (ehdebug.dll)

Jay Park

Mar 27, 2008, 11:05:53 AM3/27/08
after some more research, i pulled up this post on another forum:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2546752&SiteID=17

Screen Name: Gerald Wong
18 Feb 2008, 2:45 PM UTC

Hi all

It is my first ever post here but hopefully this will go a long way to
solve a lot of heartaches and unnecessary clean installs.

I did a bit of research on the net... some articles giving some hints
that 0xc0190036 is caused by the target file to be patched during SP1
installation being CORRUPTED. The file with error 0xc0190036 being
reported during SP1 installation, in my case, was Firewall.cpl (it can
be ANY file targeted for patch by SP1). I booted from a WinPE CD and
ran a chkdsk /f on my C: drive... and sure enough, Firewall.cpl was
found to be corrupted.

Chkdsk went ahead to try to fix the corrupted file. After that I
rebooted the system and let the HDD boot partition run. No luck, the
SP1 installation still hang at overwriting Firewall.cpl. So out of
frustration, I booted back into the WinPE CD.. this time I simply
deleted the corrupt Firewall.cpl away. I proceeded to reboot the
system back into the C: boot partition. This time it worked like a
charm - the SP1 installation simply put a new copy of the deleted
corrupted file into the HDD, and went on to complete the SP1
installation. The desktop showed up pretty shortly thereafter - SP1
update complete!

Search 0xc0190036 on the net and you will find that quite a few people
hit it during SP1 install - but M$ simply provided no explanation on
it. Now you have it here - hopefully this is the first complete
definition and resolution of the 0xc0190036 error that has ever been
posted on the net.

P.S. if you hit the same problem but have no WinPE CD, fret not - the
original Vista installation DVD has a command prompt repair function
and it will let u run chkdsk and to delete files equally well as the
WinPE command prompt.

Possible causes and mitigation factors to prevent file corruption just
prior to SP1 install (and hence prevent the dreaded 0xc0190036 error):

- HDD was already somehow corrupted beforehand. Resolution/prevention:
run a chkdsk /f on your boot partition BEFORE you attempt to download/
install SP1!
- Automatic defragmentation somehow causes some files to be corrupted
the moment SP1 installation reboots your system. Resolution - disable
any and all background HDD defragmentation programs before attempting
SP1 install!

deepst...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2008, 1:07:47 AM3/30/08
On Mar 27, 11:05 am, Jay Park <jaywillp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> after some more research, i pulled up this post on another forum:
>
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2546752&Site...

i was wonderind how to delete the coruppted filed chkdsk turns up

VISTA_BOY

Apr 1, 2008, 10:21:04 AM4/1/08
After three 2-hr sessions with MS support, and two failed attempts and wasted
evenings, leaving me to reinstall pre-attempt disk images, I finally got a
solution. Thanks to "Ravi" at MS telephone support:
As usual, once you know the answer, it is simple. It is finding he correct
one that ruins your week.

The error message is indeed caused by corrupted system files, so the
solution is to replace those files. If you have a Vista disk, just reinstall
Vista before downloading SP1.

But if you are like me, and have an OEM Vista installation, you can do it
from a "Vista Anytime Upgrade" CD.

Pre-download the Full standalone SP1 upgrade and save it to a hard disk.

Using MSCONFIG Turn off all non-MS services and all startup items. Also
Disable the MS framework.net in the Windows Features section of Programs and
Features.

Run the Anytime Upgrade DVD and select "Upgrade". It will "Upgrade" (really
just reinstall) Vista without overwiting your personal files, programs,
and/or settings. This replaces all the Vista system files, including any
that have become corrupted. You will need to re-input your product key.
Mine was on a sticker on the back of the computer, so have it ready.

Even though I had input my product Key, I still got a message that said my
key was invalid, and I had to call the toll-free number to get reactivated.
That only took about 5 min. though, and went smoothly.

After VISTA is reinstalled, you can optionally open an elevated Command
Propmt and run SFC /scannow to verify that your system files are now OK. I
did that and mine were !

Now, just run the standalone SP1 upgrade utility. (If you try the Windows
Update Website it will tell you that you have 40+ updates to install before
you can install SP1. They are all already packaged with the SP1 standalone.)

I probably left out a few trivial question rexponses and reboots; but I
think they were all self-explanatory and logical during the process. Just be
patient.

My first impression is that SP1 does react a little snappier, and reboot
times are shorter; but I don't see anything that has made it worth this much
trouble. I hope it has made my computer more stable in ways that I just
haven't seen.

The key to this whole process is the realization that you can reinstall an
existing Vista installation from an Anytime Upgrade DVD. They are ubiquitous
and free. Even most OEM installations come with one.

RandomKillah

Apr 11, 2008, 3:01:00 PM4/11/08

In case it helps someone I used a very simple method to fix the problem.
I had the same error but my error was with file mciavi32.dll. it was
hanging at the black screen. I did a reboot which trigger startup
repair. Checkdsk which it ran by default (might not do the same for you)
didnt fix the problem. I used the command prompt option under advanced
tools, and did the following.

changed to c:\windows\system32

renamed mciavi32.dll to mciavi32.dll.old

chose restart computer from the startup recovery console options. When
asking on reboot to start normally or use the startup repair, I sarted
normally and the update went through without a hitch and vista was back
up and running with SP1 in a few minutes.

--
RandomKillah

orcrist13

Feb 24, 2009, 10:56:33 AM2/24/09

Can someone help me please!

I am getting this when I boot up:

! ! 0xc0190036 ! ! 5085/69784 (WLAN_profile_v1.xsd)

I tried to delete it in the command prompt but it says that the file
can't be found. :mad:

Any ideas????

Thanks

--
orcrist13

tmrocks1995

Jun 15, 2009, 1:34:44 PM6/15/09

Aghhhh!
I want to kill the people at Microsoft!

I got the stupid error code !! 0xc0190036 !! 5947/92290 (Journal.exe)

I have been hearing talks of people using somthing to delete or rename
the file that is corrupted and its fixed.

If so,how may i do this.

And no dont ask me to use my cd because all my files are important on
that pc!:mad:

Please any reply will help,tmrocks.

--
tmrocks1995

Rick Rogers

Jun 22, 2009, 6:45:00 AM6/22/09
You are infected with malware and need to run a tool like malwarebytes to
begin removal of it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"ubername" <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> i got this error..
> !!0xc0190036!! 715/89164 (network explorer.dll):(
> and i dont know wat to do......someone pls help me..:cry::cry:
>

> John.
>

> --
> ubername

MSGuided

Jul 14, 2009, 4:11:01 PM7/14/09

Great response Rick,

How about some input rather than attitude. Amazing that this is your
response to a customer who was trying to do the right thing and keep his
system updated.

I also love that you spammed all of your contact info.

Raymond Shaw

Jul 14, 2009, 4:51:05 PM7/14/09
MSGuided <MSGu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Great response Rick,
>
>How about some input rather than attitude. Amazing that this is your
>response to a customer who was trying to do the right thing and keep his
>system updated.
>
>I also love that you spammed all of your contact info.

You are a participant in a P2P Usenet forum, not a customer. Everyone
here is a computer user - not a Microsoft employee - who volunteers
their time to help others - even rude idiots like you.

Mombo

Oct 11, 2009, 9:19:01 PM10/11/09
ROFL!

Hillary92126

Nov 11, 2009, 6:17:27 PM11/11/09

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :party: It took Command Prompt from
the DVD and running a full Start-up Repair 13 times but I finally made
it past that horrible black screen with the flickering error. I found
you guys at the same time I emaled Dell and still haven't heard back
from them.

Don't let the jerky frustrated people get to you. You save my sanity.
~Hillary

--
Hillary92126