Vista, Acronis and corrupted files

Genus Neduba

Feb 11, 2007, 5:44:44 AM2/11/07

just an advice if you created the system partition for vista with Acronis
DiskDirector 10 - do not. Use WindowsXP to do so. Otherwise (that's what
happend to me on two computers now) windows vista will encouter lots of
corrupted files and finally destroy itself. I don't know why, but this his
what happend on two different systems now.

(Windows Vista Business MSDNA-AA)

paolol

Feb 11, 2007, 6:43:32 AM2/11/07
Happen the same to me, had to reinstall all Vista in a XP formatted
partition, for some reason DiskDirector don't do a good job :(

"Genus Neduba" <genus....@arcor.de> ha scritto nel messaggio

Richard Urban

Feb 11, 2007, 7:55:23 AM2/11/07
Could it be that Disk Director 10 in not fully Vista compatible?

Yes, it could! And Partition Magic is even worse.

The NTFS file system in Vista is a bit different that that which was in
Windows XP. Disk Director 10 (and Partition Magic) are based upon XP's
iteration of NTFS.

When installing Vista (over 40 installs now) I always delete the partition I
want to install Vista on. I then create a new partition and format said
partition **using the Vista installer**. Yes, I always do a clean install,
booting from the Vista DVD.

I have never been one to perform an upgrade and likely never will. My
customers appreciate that fact that I take the time to do this (though they
pay more for the service), and that I segregate off their personal files
onto a new partition before I install Vista.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"paolol" <pao...@salsan.net.nospam> wrote in message

Genus Neduba

Feb 11, 2007, 12:19:54 PM2/11/07
Well, then it's a fault of Microsoft - if the Vista Installer is not able to
detect the "WinXP-NTFS", installs without a single warning and then
constantly creats corrupt files. I used Acronis in WinXP Pro SP2 to create a
NTFS partition, a partition that perfectly works under WinXP. Who can blame
Acronis if Microsoft silently changes the NTFS file system?

This proves your advice, always a clean install - no upgrade!

"Richard Urban" <richardurba...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Richard Urban

Feb 11, 2007, 3:03:06 PM2/11/07
Ah! But Vista does, in fact, detect that a partition is not suitable. I have
seen this now about 6-8 times. I get a message during install that Vista can
not be installed to said partition. That is when I delete/create/format a
new partition.

This happens if you try to install to a partition created by Partition Magic
(all the time) or Disk Director (some times).

So, Microsoft "has" done their homework.

Now it is up to other companies to "catch up" with the newer iteration of
the NTFS file system in Vista.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Genus Neduba" <genus....@arcor.de> wrote in message

Ron Miller

Feb 11, 2007, 4:47:13 PM2/11/07
Genus Neduba wrote:
> Well, then it's a fault of Microsoft - if the Vista Installer is not
> able to detect the "WinXP-NTFS", installs without a single warning and
> then constantly creats corrupt files. I used Acronis in WinXP Pro SP2 to
> create a NTFS partition, a partition that perfectly works under WinXP.
> Who can blame Acronis if Microsoft silently changes the NTFS file system?
>
> This proves your advice, always a clean install - no upgrade!

This thread is not about assigning blame to any product. It's just very
worthwhile advice not to use the Acronis product because it's not yet
compatible with Vista. Acronis acknowledges this fact. See their list
of supported operating systems for Disk Director here
http://tinyurl.com/3rmdw (where Vista is specifically omitted), as
opposed to their list of supported OS's for another of their products,
True Image, here http://tinyurl.com/64wef (where Vista is specifically
included right at the top of the list).

Don

Feb 11, 2007, 5:17:14 PM2/11/07
Ron Miller wrote:
> Genus Neduba wrote:
>> Well, then it's a fault of Microsoft - if the Vista Installer is not
>> able to detect the "WinXP-NTFS", installs without a single warning and
>> then constantly creats corrupt files. I used Acronis in WinXP Pro SP2
>> to create a NTFS partition, a partition that perfectly works under
>> WinXP. Who can blame Acronis if Microsoft silently changes the NTFS
>> file system?
>>
>> This proves your advice, always a clean install - no upgrade!
>
> This thread is not about assigning blame to any product. It's just very
> worthwhile advice not to use the Acronis product because it's not yet
> compatible with Vista. Acronis acknowledges this fact...

I fell into the same trap about four times until I emailed Acronis and
they told me that DD is not Vista-ready. Do you know how Vista gets
around this file-system incompatibility when installing over XP?

Rock

Feb 11, 2007, 6:01:29 PM2/11/07
"Richard Urban" <richardurba...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Ah! But Vista does, in fact, detect that a partition is not suitable. I
> have seen this now about 6-8 times. I get a message during install that
> Vista can not be installed to said partition. That is when I
> delete/create/format a new partition.
>
> This happens if you try to install to a partition created by Partition
> Magic (all the time) or Disk Director (some times).
>
> So, Microsoft "has" done their homework.
>
> Now it is up to other companies to "catch up" with the newer iteration of
> the NTFS file system in Vista.

This installation of Vista is in a volume in an extended partition on a
drive that has XP Pro in the primary active partition, on a WD PATA hard
drive in a multiboot configuration. The partitions were all created with
Partition Magic 8 a long time ago. I have installed multiple versions of
Vista to various volumes on this drive during TechBeta, all the partitions
where created/sized by PM.

After TechBeta with this last installation of Ultimate RTM I first combined
several partitions with PM then did the install. Afterwards I used diskpart
in Vista to downsize the adjoining partition (that has another install of
XP) and added it extra space into the Vista partition.

So in my experience on this one installation PM created partitions can work
with Vista. I'm not sure where/why it causes a problem.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Genus Neduba

Feb 12, 2007, 7:08:03 AM2/12/07
> This thread is not about assigning blame to any product.
You are right - sorry.