Vista 64 bit Boot Manager (0xc0000428)

Alstrom@discussions.microsoft.com Magnus Alstrom

Sep 24, 2007, 7:26:01 AM9/24/07

I have an installed Windows Vista (64 bit) and had everything working last
week. This morning I'm trying to boot the computer and I only get a message
from Windows Boot Manager:

A recent hardware or software chnage might have installed a file that is
signed incorrectly or damaged.... bla bla.

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

There is no information about which file that might be corrupt. Anyway,
trying Enter=continue or F8 advanced boot options fails, since computer only
will reboot.

Decided to try to repair the installation, by booting from installation CD.
I get the option to boot from CD and press a key and got really surprised:
The same Windows Boot Manager error! I tried the CD on another computer and
it loaded as expected.

Anyone that know anything about this error? All suggestions and ideas are
appreciated, throwing the computer (Lenovo ThinkCentre, MT-M 9641-75G) from
top floor of our office building is the best suggestion so far.

regards Magnus

Spirit

Sep 24, 2007, 7:59:07 AM9/24/07
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot

and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration
Data file is missing required information"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

What to do when Vista Crashes : Little known strategy - bootrec.exe

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=200000329&pgno=5

http://www.informationweek.com/galleries/showGallery.jhtml?galleryID=44

5 ways to fix a non-booting Vista installation

http://microsoftvista2006.blogspot.com/2007/06/vista-tips-5-ways-to-fix-non-booting.html

Magnus Alstrom" <Magnus Als...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Magnus Alstrom

Sep 24, 2007, 8:22:03 AM9/24/07
I appreciate the answer, but unfortunatelly it doens't help. I was apperently
not clear enough:

> > I get the option to boot from CD and press a key and got really surprised:
> > The same Windows Boot Manager error! I tried the CD on another computer

I have enabled to boot from a CD and get the question, press any key to boot
from the CD (and even another attempt with F12). The problem is that I still
get the Windows Boot Manager error. The CD is correct (checked with another
machine), the CD/DVD player was at least working 3 days ago.

regards Magnus

Spirit

Sep 25, 2007, 12:34:37 AM9/25/07
If you have the BIOS set to boot from the CD first as you say then either
the CD
is NOT bootable or you have a serious hardware issue. Double check your
BIOS settings that you have the CD set to boot BEFORE the hard disk in
the boot order. You migtht need a visit to a competent shop.

Once you can boot you should try the bootrec /fixmbr and the other tips in
the links I posted.

"Magnus Alstrom" <Magnus...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Magnus Alstrom

Sep 26, 2007, 3:06:04 AM9/26/07
"A competent shop": yeah, really! I know how to set boot on cd before hard
drive.

Still, I haven't a clue what was messed up with my computer, but I found a
solution: removed hard disk, format hard disk from another computer,
reinstall bios and finally the installation cd was able to boot.

regards Magnus

Spirit

Sep 26, 2007, 4:37:48 AM9/26/07
Your fix makes me think the cause could have been a virus!

"Magnus Alstrom" <Magnus...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Godske

Mar 5, 2010, 8:15:46 AM3/5/10

I am experiencing the same problem - although the error is not the same.

In my case, the reason it is unable to boot from the CD/DVD is because,
when I reach the "boot-from-CD-or-DVD"-option and have to press any key
to do so, there is no power to the keyboard, meaning it will try and
boot from the HDD as per usual.

I have no trouble getting into BIOS or pressing F2 or F11 during
start-up, or when inside BIOS, but the power turns off when I reach the
Boot Failure screen where I can press Escape or F8? - to exit or
continue.

--
Godske