Re: terminal services in Windows XP Home Version

Jeff Pitsch

Dec 23, 2005, 5:52:53 PM12/23/05
Not legally no.

Jeff Pitsch
http://www.sbcgatekeeper.com
Your Terminal Services Security Website

"mike" <mi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:10158DA3-591A-4AFF...@microsoft.com...
>I enabled terminal services in Windows XP Home Version. It works with as
>many
> as 4 users. I'm wondering if there is some way to allow more than 4 users
> use the terminal services.
> Thanks,
> Mike

TeVan

Dec 24, 2005, 1:59:34 PM12/24/05
Hmm...

How did you do that?

TV

Ing. Gonzalo Araújo C.

Dec 25, 2005, 8:29:02 PM12/25/05
Hello Mike, there are some ways to do this, many of that violate the EULA for
Windows XP, there is a product called Winconnect from ThinSoft that maybe can
help you, visit: http://www.thinsoftinc.com

Good Luck!

--
Ing. Gonzalo Araújo C
MCP, GCSE, CCNA

Maxim Oustiougov [MSFT]

Dec 27, 2005, 9:41:46 PM12/27/05
I should also add that you have to buy a separate Windows license for every
device that remotely connects to a session on Windows XP computer. ThinSoft
makes it clear in their FAQ:

http://www.thinsoftinc.com/thin%20client/products_wcs_faq.html#faq20
A separate Windows XP license is required for each RDP device connected to
the Host computer running Windows XP. It is the responsibility of the
WinConnect Server XP purchaser/user to read and comply with the Windows XP
licensing agreement or contact Microsoft for clarification regarding this
licensing requirement.

It is also stated in Windows XP EULA (below is a snippet from Windows XP
Professional EULA):

1.4 Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance/NetMeeting. The
Software contains Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance,
and NetMeeting technologies that enable the Software or
applications installed on the Workstation Computer
(sometimes referred to as a host device) to be accessed
remotely from other Devices. You may use the Software's
Remote Desktop feature (or other software which provides
similar functionality for a similar purpose) to access a
Workstation Computer Session from any Device provided
you acquire a separate Software license for that Device.
As an exception to this rule, the person who is the
single primary user of the Workstation Computer may
access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device
without acquiring an additional Software license for
that Device. When you are using Remote Assistance or
NetMeeting (or other software which provides similar
functionality for a similar purpose) you may share a
Session with other users without any limit on the number
of Device connections and without acquiring additional
licenses for the Software. For Microsoft and
non-Microsoft applications, you should consult the
license agreement accompanying the applicable software
or contact the applicable licensor to determine whether
use of the software with Remote Desktop, Remote
Assistance, or NetMeeting is permitted without an
additional license.

--
Maxim Oustiougov,
Terminal Services Program Manager