One client fails to connect

Darren Dent

Feb 10, 2006, 12:02:27 PM2/10/06
Hello,

I have managed to implement a successful wsus environment and my client pc's
(Windows XP) are communicating/updating with no problems. I have tried
configuring my servers (All win2k3) to use wsus and all seem fine with the
exception of one. I ran the diagnostic tools and it failed at this point.

Checking Connection to WSUS/SUS Server
WUServer = http://wsusserver:8530
WUStatusServer = http://wsusserver:8530
UseWuServer is enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
Client is pointed to SUS 1.0 Server

WinHttpDownloadFileToMemory(szURLDest, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL,
&downloadBuffe
r) failed with hr=0x80190194

(null)

Press Enter to Complete

D:\wsus>

Any Ideas???

Thanks in advance

Darren

Lawrence Garvin (MVP)

Feb 10, 2006, 6:36:19 PM2/10/06
The Windows Server 2003 system you report here is experiencing an HTTP '404'
error attempting to locate the /selfupdate files in the netserver folder of
the %programfiles%\update services\selfupdate\au\x86\ folder tree.

I also see from your CDT report that the client /thinks/ that it is talking
to a SUS 1.0 server, which is a general indication that it did not get a
response from the WSUS server.

I would suspect a DNS failure in this case.

Make sure that this server is configured with the correct default domain
suffix.

Run 'nslookup wsusserver' at a command prompt, and verify that you get the
IP Address of the server returned.

"Darren Dent" <Darre...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Darren Dent

Feb 14, 2006, 5:14:31 AM2/14/06
Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your response, it did in part solve the problem, although I am a
little puzzled as to why. I my GPO for the servers (all in the same domain,
with static ip addresses) I set the gpo to point all servers towards the
fully qualified domain name of my wsusserver, and only the one server wasn't
finding it, I could ping run an nslookup and it would report back as you
would expect. So I tried changing the GPO so that all server would try to
find the wsus server by its netbios name and that seems to have done the
trick.

Strange!! But the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks Again.

Darren

Lawrence Garvin (MVP)

Feb 14, 2006, 6:50:02 PM2/14/06
The general recommendation is to -not- use FQDN in the policy configuration
for WSUS.

The client -should- be automatically appending the AD domain name to the
configuration in the policy. (It might have been doing that anyway,
rendering up an unusable name.)

e.g. http://wsusserver in AD domain company.local, should result in the
client sending requests to http://wsusserver.company.local.

This can be confirmed by running the command 'nslookup wsusserver', which
should return a DNS query/result for FQDN wsusserver.company.local.

If the client is misconfigured, and you use the FQDN in the policy, it could
be that it was still appending the domain suffix, and trying to talk to
http://wsusserver.company.local.company.local.