IE 7.0 release update

Bobbie Harder (MSFT)

Nov 22, 2006, 9:51:45 PM11/22/06
Hi Folks -
We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
rollup package which impacts the installation behavior for all locales, and
results in an Spanish error dialog after installation as reported..

To immediately address the spread of this issue, the IE7.0 update package
has been expired effective 5:00PM PST, Wednesday, 11/22/06. Synchronizing
WSUS servers after 5:00PM PST will ensure the expiration status is applied
to the latest IE7.0 update rollup package, released 11/21/06.

Clients which are currently displaying a Spanish error dialog, or are
rechecking for this update package, can be stopped from doing so via the
following steps:
If the update was approved for a scheduled installation:
1. Stop the AU service.
2. Kill the following processes -
a. Iesetup.exe
b. Ie7-WindowsXP-x86-esn.exe
3. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to
expire the IE7 update.
4. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to
reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update
again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
changed to detect only status.
.
If it is a manual kick off with the AU icon from systray, then clicking okay
to the error message, clears the IE setup executables, so we can just do the
following -
1. Stop the AU service
2. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to
expire the IE7 update.
3. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to
reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update
again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
changed to detect only status.

If other updates were installed at the same time, a reboot will be required
to finish off the updates that did install for both scenarios above.

Attached is a sample batch file Before running a similar batch file you will
have had to either synchronize to ensure the update is expired , or have had
changed the update approval to Not Approved or Dectect Only. The batch
file sample can be run on the client system either from a logon script or
running it manually on the client.
A new update rollup package for this IE 7.0 release will be available for
synchronization early next week. We regret the inconvenience and confusion
this issue may have caused WSUS customers. Thank you for your reports and
enabling us to get this issue headed off so quickly.

- Bobbie Harder

PM, WSUS

AU-IE7-RESET.bat.txt

Ian Fretwell

Nov 23, 2006, 3:49:01 AM11/23/06
Hi, thanks for this...but where do I find the 'attached' sample batch file -
I can't see any links to anything ?

"Bobbie Harder (MSFT)" wrote:

> Hi Folks -
> We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
> rollup package which impacts the installation behavior for all locales, and
> results in an Spanish error dialog after installation as reported..
>
> To immediately address the spread of this issue, the IE7.0 update package
> has been expired effective 5:00PM PST, Wednesday, 11/22/06. Synchronizing
> WSUS servers after 5:00PM PST will ensure the expiration status is applied
> to the latest IE7.0 update rollup package, released 11/21/06.
>
> Clients which are currently displaying a Spanish error dialog, or are
> rechecking for this update package, can be stopped from doing so via the
> following steps:
> If the update was approved for a scheduled installation:
> 1. Stop the AU service.
> 2. Kill the following processes -
> a. Iesetup.exe
> b. Ie7-WindowsXP-x86-esn.exe
> 3. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to
> expire the IE7 update.
> 4. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to
> reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update
> again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
> changed to detect only status.

> ..

Ben

Nov 23, 2006, 4:26:37 AM11/23/06
I can see it attached to the message, are you using OE to view the
newsgroup? If so there will be a little paper clip in the top right of the
preview pane, with an attachment called AU-IE7-RESET.bat.txt

Ben

"Ian Fretwell" <IanFr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ian Fretwell

Nov 23, 2006, 4:36:01 AM11/23/06
Ah,...no I'm viewing through the Technet web site as we can't use Newsgroups
through the firewall (don't ask!!).

I don't s'pose I could be very cheeky and ask you to mail it me could I ?
The address is ianfr...@hotmail.com

Thanks

neo [mvp outlook]

Nov 23, 2006, 6:10:16 AM11/23/06
No trouble at all and sent...

"Ian Fretwell" <IanFr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Dusko Savatovic

Nov 23, 2006, 10:34:09 AM11/23/06
"Bobbie Harder (MSFT)" <bob...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi Folks -
> We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
> rollup package ...

Thanks Bobie,

will it also fix the problem where clients report that IE7 installation is
"Not Needed"?

Sean

Nov 23, 2006, 11:51:02 AM11/23/06
How do you locate the batch file? I can see your message, but I'm not seeing
any attachment with your reply.

By the way, I'm using IE7 to view this newsgroup. Do I have to enable
something in IE?

"Bobbie Harder (MSFT)" wrote:

> Hi Folks -
> We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
> rollup package which impacts the installation behavior for all locales, and
> results in an Spanish error dialog after installation as reported..
>
> To immediately address the spread of this issue, the IE7.0 update package
> has been expired effective 5:00PM PST, Wednesday, 11/22/06. Synchronizing
> WSUS servers after 5:00PM PST will ensure the expiration status is applied
> to the latest IE7.0 update rollup package, released 11/21/06.
>
> Clients which are currently displaying a Spanish error dialog, or are
> rechecking for this update package, can be stopped from doing so via the
> following steps:
> If the update was approved for a scheduled installation:
> 1. Stop the AU service.
> 2. Kill the following processes -
> a. Iesetup.exe
> b. Ie7-WindowsXP-x86-esn.exe
> 3. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to
> expire the IE7 update.
> 4. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to
> reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update
> again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
> changed to detect only status.

> ..

Sean

Nov 23, 2006, 12:41:01 PM11/23/06
If someone could send me the batch file, I'd appreciate it. My address is
ev...@ussposco.com

"Bobbie Harder (MSFT)" wrote:

> Hi Folks -
> We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
> rollup package which impacts the installation behavior for all locales, and
> results in an Spanish error dialog after installation as reported..
>
> To immediately address the spread of this issue, the IE7.0 update package
> has been expired effective 5:00PM PST, Wednesday, 11/22/06. Synchronizing
> WSUS servers after 5:00PM PST will ensure the expiration status is applied
> to the latest IE7.0 update rollup package, released 11/21/06.
>
> Clients which are currently displaying a Spanish error dialog, or are
> rechecking for this update package, can be stopped from doing so via the
> following steps:
> If the update was approved for a scheduled installation:
> 1. Stop the AU service.
> 2. Kill the following processes -
> a. Iesetup.exe
> b. Ie7-WindowsXP-x86-esn.exe
> 3. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to
> expire the IE7 update.
> 4. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to
> reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update
> again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
> changed to detect only status.

> ..

neo [mvp outlook]

Nov 23, 2006, 1:12:21 PM11/23/06
Done.

"Sean" <Se...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

lex

Nov 23, 2006, 5:40:01 PM11/23/06
Any chance of someone putting the contents of the bat file on here so others
don't have to ask for it to be emailed

thanks

neo [mvp outlook]

Nov 23, 2006, 10:08:02 PM11/23/06
Contents of batch file posted by Bobbie.

net stop wuauserv
taskkill /F /IM IESETUP.EXE /IM IE7-WindowsXP-x86-esn.exe
net start wuauserv
wuauclt.exe /detectnow

"lex" <l...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

David Weston

Nov 24, 2006, 5:12:55 PM11/24/06
This is all very nice, BUT:

The original IE7 was in Category "Updates" and now it is being released in
Category "Update Rollups". We have several client WSUS servers configured
for automatic approval of Update Rollups (for Malicious Software Removal
Tool, for instance). And, we have several clients who do not want IE7 at
this time. PLEASE release the revised IE7 packages as Category "Updates".

Pretty Please!

Dave Mills

Nov 24, 2006, 7:43:48 PM11/24/06
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:12:55 -0500, "David Weston" <da...@dbma.com> wrote:

>This is all very nice, BUT:
>
>The original IE7 was in Category "Updates"

Not on my systems. It was (and still is) Update Rollups. There were some pre
1/Nov dummy updates that were Pre-expired but I don't have those any more to
check. All the real IE7 updates are in "Update Rollups"

Most of the IE updates have been Update Rollups which is why I never auto
approved that category. IMHO IMF updates should be in definition updates not
update rollups so auto approval is safer.

--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Scott485

Nov 27, 2006, 10:10:02 AM11/27/06
I am still showing IE7 as expired (11-27-06). Has MS put out an updated
package as of yet? Do I need to decline the existing updates as my WSUS
server suggests?
--
Scott485

"Bobbie Harder (MSFT)" wrote:

> Hi Folks -
> We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
> rollup package which impacts the installation behavior for all locales, and
> results in an Spanish error dialog after installation as reported..
>
> To immediately address the spread of this issue, the IE7.0 update package
> has been expired effective 5:00PM PST, Wednesday, 11/22/06. Synchronizing
> WSUS servers after 5:00PM PST will ensure the expiration status is applied
> to the latest IE7.0 update rollup package, released 11/21/06.
>
> Clients which are currently displaying a Spanish error dialog, or are
> rechecking for this update package, can be stopped from doing so via the
> following steps:
> If the update was approved for a scheduled installation:
> 1. Stop the AU service.
> 2. Kill the following processes -
> a. Iesetup.exe
> b. Ie7-WindowsXP-x86-esn.exe
> 3. Start the AU service after you have synchronized the WSUS server to
> expire the IE7 update.
> 4. Run the command wuauclt.exe /detectnow. We have to do this to
> reset the IE 7 status on the client. In my test, it offered the IE7 update
> again, so it did not check back with the WSUS server where it had been
> changed to detect only status.

> ..

David Weston

Nov 27, 2006, 12:17:18 PM11/27/06
Well, the November 1 IE 7 for XP and Server 2003 was Updates. Now they do
appear as Update Rollups. When that changed, I cannot tell.

"Dave Mills" <Ne...@nospam--djmills-dot-co.uk> wrote in message

Dave Mills

Nov 27, 2006, 4:07:56 PM11/27/06
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:17:18 -0500, "David Weston" <da...@dbma.com> wrote:

>Well, the November 1 IE 7 for XP and Server 2003 was Updates. Now they do
>appear as Update Rollups. When that changed, I cannot tell.

I'm sure they were always Roll ups., I may have missed something short lived.
Are you sure this is not a PICNIC

(Problem In Chair Not In Computer) :-)

Dave Mills

Nov 27, 2006, 4:09:36 PM11/27/06
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:10:02 -0800, Scott485
<Scot...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am still showing IE7 as expired (11-27-06). Has MS put out an updated
>package as of yet? Do I need to decline the existing updates as my WSUS
>server suggests?

You might as well decline them. At least they will be removed when you next "mow
the grass". I've not seen a replacement yet.

kj

Nov 28, 2006, 10:26:06 PM11/28/06

Update:
0c9f4827-4f1e-4563-b557-7431f70dd6ce