Install the update by the selected date => apporve option

Tom Decaluwé

Mar 30, 2006, 12:19:58 PM3/30/06
Hi all,

I was on the MS site looking for the correct answer to the question, wat
does the "Install the update by the selected date" actually do?

I was under the impression if you set the data lets say to next week then
computers in that target group are only start updating that date. However
today i tried this out and some of my clients started updating today
eventhough this option was set to a date next week and the clients are in the
corresponding target group.

The MS site states:

"If you want the update to be installed automatically, click Install the
update by the selected date and time, specify the date and time of the
deadline, and then click OK. If you want the install to occur immediately
(that is, when the client computers next contact the WSUS server), you can
specify a past date for the deadline. "

here they say by the selected date, does this mean installation starts as
soon as possible for the client?

thanks,

Tom

Dave Mills

Mar 31, 2006, 2:26:20 AM3/31/06
The key word is "deadline". Clients will continue to install the update normally
until the deadline is reached. After the deadline they will change behaviour and
install as soon as the update is downloaded. Administrators will not be allowed
to delay the installation nor the reboot.

.On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:19:58 -0800, Tom Decaluwé
<TomDe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Mar 31, 2006, 5:21:06 AM3/31/06
Dave Mills wrote:

> The key word is "deadline". Clients will continue to install the update normally
> until the deadline is reached. After the deadline they will change behaviour and
> install as soon as the update is downloaded. Administrators will not be allowed
> to delay the installation nor the reboot.

Also note that computers that are configured to only "Notify of
installation" and not to do a "Scheduled installation", when the
deadline is reached, the update will automatically be installed
and a forced reboot will be done.

Not exactly an optimal situation for servers or critical production
computers that are configured with AUOptions 2 or 3 ("notify of
installation").

So be careful with the use of deadlines, and also only apply it to WSUS
groups that does not contain servers or computers that should not be
automatically rebooted.

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Tom Decaluwé

Mar 31, 2006, 8:20:02 AM3/31/06
Thanks for the info, this is what i had seen from my experiments but did not
quite understand.

Is there anyway to configure or script WSUS to lets say, set a data now and
have client install the updates next week and no sooner than a date? As i
want my test clients to install today, and my other clients next week.

Tom

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Mar 31, 2006, 9:10:17 AM3/31/06
Tom Decaluwé wrote:

Hi,

The best way to do this is two put the test clients in a separate WSUS
group called e.g. "Test".

When new updates arrives, you can then start with only approving the
updates for this "Test" group (note that if the computers in this group
have the default 22 hours detection cycle interval, it can take a
couple of days before all are updated).

When the test period is over, approve the updates for the rest of the
computers.

An alternative to doing it manually:

You can use the WSUS API to copy update approvals from one
WSUS group to another.

See this post for details on how to create
CopyApprovalsBetweenGroups.exe:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services/msg/0a62b129af4c8a7c?dmode=source&hl=en

Some additional notes about the utility:

1.
The utility is a command line based utility, you need to specify the
"from" and "to" group names on the command line.

2.
If a group name contains spaces, you need to surround it with quotes,
like this: "Test group".

3.
The naming of the groups is case sensitive so "Servers" is not equal
to "servers".

4.
The utility will mirror the approval status, so any additional
approved installations in the target group will be unapproved.

Tom Decaluwé

Apr 3, 2006, 7:24:01 AM4/3/06
Hi again,

Just one quick thought, I read here

"When new updates arrives, you can then start with only approving the
updates for this "Test" group (note that if the computers in this group
have the default 22 hours detection cycle interval, it can take a
couple of days before all are updated)."

You state here it could take a couple of days before all are updated? What
influences this as i would expect all computers to start updating withing 22
hours, what delays the update even more?

Tom

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Apr 3, 2006, 11:59:18 AM4/3/06

The detection cycle interval will only trigger a download of the
update, and not an installation. So with the right combinations of
approval time, detection time, and installation time, it can take
almost two days.

An example where the client is configured to install updates 8 AM.

Day 1:
11 AM: A detection cycle is done on the client, no new updates found,
and a new detection cycle is scheduled for 9 AM the day after
(22 hours later on).

11.05 AM: At the WSUS console, you apply a new update for installation.

Day2:
8 AM: No updates detected in previous detection cycle, so nothing to
install.

9 AM: A detection cycle is done on the client, and the new update is
detected and downloaded.

Day 3:
8 AM: The new update detected and downloaded at Day 2 is installed.

So as you see from my example above, it took 45 hours before the client
was updated from it was applied for installation at the WSUS console.

Tom Decaluwé

Apr 4, 2006, 5:52:01 AM4/4/06
Thanks for the great explination, it's all clear to me know.

regards,

Tom