Svchost, DCOM, WMI Issues after Updates

jwgoe...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2007, 7:44:38 AM4/27/07
Hello group,

I am tracking an issue on several Windows 2003 servers. The timeframe
roughly correlates with this month's patch cycle. I have not nailed it
down to one particular update, however. Is anyone seeing a similar
problem?

The symptoms include:

1) Svchost.exe has an exception and stops. All of the services running
under it close. The services affected include:

Automatic Updates
Cryptographic Services
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Help and Support
Secondary Logon
Server
Task Scheduler
Windows Audio
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Wireless Configuration
Workstation

None of the services fail and are restarted. They stop and remain
stopped until I bring them back online. The services do come back
online, so this is not related to KB910666.

2) WMI stops and is restarted around the same time. The Service
Control Manager (Event ID 7032) logs:

The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart
the service) after the unexpected termination of the Windows
Management Instrumentation service, but this action failed with the
following error: An instance of the service is already running.

3) There are three DCOM errors (Event ID 10010) also being logged.
These are:

The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register
with DCOM within the required timeout.
The server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not register
with DCOM within the required timeout.
The server {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} did not register
with DCOM within the required timeout.

Windows Management {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
EventSystem, EventSystemTier2 {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}
Network Connection Manager Class {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-
B1D0-00805FC1270E}

Anyone else seeing this?

J Wolfgang Goerlich

Terry Prindle

May 1, 2007, 3:14:02 PM5/1/07
I am experiencing the same thing, were you able to figure it out?

jwgoe...@gmail.com

May 2, 2007, 8:51:58 AM5/2/07
On May 1, 3:14 pm, Terry Prindle <tprindle> wrote:
> I am experiencing the same thing, were you able to figure it out?

I have not found a satisfactory answer on the cause. I do have a fix,
however. I downloaded the latest Windows Update Agent.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

I then removed and cleared the existing installation. Then I
reinstalled.

Net Stop "Automatic Updates"
regsvr32 /u wuaueng.dll
%systemdrive%
CD %systemroot%
RD /Q /S SoftwareDistributio~
Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistributio~
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart

After a reboot, the symptom cleared and the services stayed running.

Hope that helps,

J Wolfgang Goerlich