Windows Media Player Remote Code Execution (923689)

Tony S

Apr 23, 2007, 4:36:24 PM4/23/07
Hello!

We recently self-audited our servers and found that one of them has this
high-risk vulnerability. To reference the vulnerability description,

"Multiple vulnerabilities in Windows Media Player could allow remote code
execution. One vulnerability relates to ASX file processing. WMVCORE.DLL
contains an exploitable heap buffer overflow in its handling of "REF HREF"
URLs within ASX files. As ASX files are opened automatically through
Internet Explorer, an attacker could use this to gain remote execution
privileges at the level of the user simply from the user visiting a
malicious web page. The other relates to processing ASF files."

See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923689

The OS of the server in question is Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2
v5.2.3790. The DXMASF.DLL file on this system is version 6.4.9.1125 and it
is running MS Windows Media Player version 10. The server has all
updates/patches installed according to the Windows Updates site. Apparantly
the security audit software looks to the version of the DXMASF.DLL file and
if it is not version 6.4.9.1133, it complains that the vulnerability exists.

The security audit vendor is telling me "It appears the file dxmasf.dll does
not get updated by SP2 as it should. The file is unmodified by the service
pack. So if you patched beforehand, you are still protected. But if you did
not patch prior to installing service pack 2, you are now unable to install
the patch. I recommend contacting Microsoft about this, as it looks like
they will need to release another update to fix this."

Please help us to rid the server of this vulnerability.

Thank you in advance,

Tony S, MCP
Network Manager

Steve Antonio [MSFT]

Apr 23, 2007, 5:02:40 PM4/23/07
That's the version for Windows Media Player 6.4. Since you are running
WM10, then the only file you need to worry about is wmvcore.dll and it
should be at least 10.0.0.3708.

The reason 6.4.9.1133 doesn't get updated or won't install on SP2 is
because it isn't used anymore when WM10 is on the machine.

Seems like the security auditor doesn't have all their facts straight.

Steve Antonio, CISSP

rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
originated.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:36:24 -0400, "Tony S" <tbt...@newsgroup.nospam>

Tony S

Apr 24, 2007, 10:33:03 AM4/24/07
Thank you. I will inform them and pass on the info.

"Steve Antonio [MSFT]" <stev...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tony S

Apr 25, 2007, 6:16:37 PM4/25/07
Here is what the vendor said:

"Windows media player 6.4 is installed by default in every windows
installation and cannot be removed. Simply running mplayer2.exe from program
files\windows media player\ is enough to run the vulnerable application,
even if it is not the default association for media content types. This is
an accurate audit and you should follow up with Microsoft support."

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

Steve Antonio [MSFT]

Apr 25, 2007, 7:03:35 PM4/25/07
Running mplayer2.exe will launch the most updated version of WMP that
you have. For instance on my Vista machine, I run wmplayer2.exe and it
launches WMP11. It will not use the old dlls, therefore there is no
need to udpdate them.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:16:37 -0400, "Tony S" <tbt...@newsgroup.nospam>
wrote:

Hope this helps.

Steve Antonio, CISSP
Microsoft Exchange Support

Tony S

Apr 26, 2007, 8:24:03 AM4/26/07
Steve,

When I run mplayer2.exe from this Windows Server 2003 SP2 box, it runs the
OLD version of Windows Media Player. I am not talking about Vista. Please
confirm this on your end before you repond again.

Thank you,

Tony

"Steve Antonio [MSFT]" <stev...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Antonio [MSFT]

Apr 26, 2007, 12:09:51 PM4/26/07
Ahh, so it does. Interesting and also, not very comforting.

I'm no longer with the Security team here, so it would be better for
you to call and open a case (no charge since it's bulletin related.
Just be sure to indicate it's a problem with MS06-078).

The folks in PSS-Security would be able to investigate this with the
Windows Media team and find out if there is a problem in the detection
logic for the update.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

-Steve

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:24:03 -0400, "Tony S" <tbt...@newsgroup.nospam>

Tony S

Apr 26, 2007, 8:30:32 PM4/26/07
Thank you Steve.
I will open a case with them next week.

"Steve Antonio [MSFT]" <stev...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tony S

Apr 26, 2007, 10:46:21 PM4/26/07
Steve,

Since this was a security-related vulnerability issue, I went ahead and sent
it to sec...@microsoft.com in encrypted format instead.

Thanks again for your assistance with this.

Tony

Tony S

Apr 30, 2007, 3:58:25 PM4/30/07
Here is Microsoft Security-PSS' response:

"We are actively testing a fix for the issue described below. We will indeed
release a fix for this issue. The current plan is to release a new package
for Windows Server on June 12th (Patch Tuesday). The update will be noted in
the "Revisions" section of the Security Bulletin for MS06-078. On June 12th
you will be able to apply the new install package for Windows Server 2003 to
secure your systems."

Tony

Tony S

May 6, 2007, 11:16:26 AM5/6/07
Microsoft is telling me that a workaround for this issue would be to rename,
delete or move the un-patched version of WMP6.4 binary (dxmasf.dll) to help
secure your system. Also, they are saying that we can replace the un-patched
verison of WMP6.4 binary (dxmasf.dll) with the patched version.

Unfortunately I have tried doing these steps without luck due to System File
Protection (Windows File Protection). I mentioned this to them and they tell
me that I should be able to use the SFPCOPY.EXE tool/utility to do the
trick. They say that this utility is included with every Windows
installation, however, it does not seem to exist on any of the Windows
servers in our organization. I have told them this and they say that they do
not know why it is not on my systems, nor where the tool can be downloaded.

Does anyone know where I can find this SFPCOPY.EXE utility??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Tony S" <tbt...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Steve Antonio [MSFT]

May 8, 2007, 6:04:49 PM5/8/07
Here ya go...just rename to .exe

Hope this helps.

Steve Antonio, CISSP
Microsoft Exchange Support

On Sun, 6 May 2007 11:16:26 -0400, "Tony S" <tbt...@newsgroup.nospam>

Tony S

May 9, 2007, 3:03:24 PM5/9/07
Yes, thank you. I am curious, however, where this utility is typically
found??

"Steve Antonio [MSFT]" <stev...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Antonio [MSFT]

May 9, 2007, 3:14:51 PM5/9/07
Tony,

It is not published anywhere or actually included in the OS from what
I've been able to see. I had to find the file in one of the test
builds we create in a special tools folder.

Hope this helps.

Steve Antonio, CISSP
Microsoft Exchange Support

On Wed, 9 May 2007 15:03:24 -0400, "Tony S" <tbt...@newsgroup.nospam>

Tony S

May 10, 2007, 11:24:17 AM5/10/07
Yes, thank you.

"Steve Antonio [MSFT]" <stev...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

S.@discussions.microsoft.com Jonathan S.

Jun 29, 2007, 11:10:01 AM6/29/07
Steve,
I am having this same problem and was wondering if I could get a copy
of this utility.
Thank you,
Jonathan S.

Steve Antonio [MSFT]

Jul 2, 2007, 5:09:09 PM7/2/07
Attached...again, just rename to .exe

newsleecher0845621

Jul 6, 2007, 7:09:06 PM7/6/07
I must be missing something, but I can not find the sfpcopy.ex_
file that is attached. What am I doing wrong?