SBS 2000 IP Change

Tech LA

Jan 24, 2006, 8:03:22 PM1/24/06
I have a SBS 2000 Server that I am working with. For certain reasons we have
changed the internal address from the 192.168.16.x to 192.168.1.x. However,
everytime I reboot the server, in the DNS console the server shows up as
192.168.16.2 (the old address) when it should be the static IP that is on
the internal NIC which is 192.168.1.2. I can't figure this out and have
looked in all the obvious places. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks
in advance.

DJ

Chad A. Gross [SBS-MVP]

Jan 25, 2006, 12:37:58 AM1/25/06
Hi DJ -

Here's the process I've historically used:

1. Change the IP in the nic properties.
2. Open DHCP and create a new scope that includes the new IP range, and
disable the original scope.
3. Open DNS and change it to listen on the new IP
4. Run ipconfig /flushdns on the server.
5. Run ipconfig /registerdns on the server.
6. Run the ICW.
7. If you are using a static pool to assign IP addresses to VPN clients,
update your static pool in RRAS accordingly.
8. If using WINS, this may need to be reconfigured.
9. If you have made the registry edits listed in MSKB 292822 (which you
should have if you have VPN clients), edit those edits to reflect your new
internal IP. (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292822 )
10. Reboot and verify everything works.

HTH!

--