SBS2003 Client Setup Wizard Problem

Nick

Feb 13, 2008, 9:44:02 AM2/13/08
I'm curious about a problem I have.

Client setup wizard: It appears that the domain user must be a member of the
local admin group in order to succesfully run the client setup wizard script
(SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat). I trying to run the default SBS "Client Operating
Systems Service Packs".

XP machines give this error: Red X - The system cannot copy a file from the
server to this computer. Make sure the network cables and devices are plugged
in and functioning properly, and then try again to join the computer to the
network.

Vista Machines ask for User Account Control for permission to connect to the
domain. If not provided the script does not run.

If I grant the local admin permission the script runs succesfully on either
XP or Vista.

The strange part is I'm only having this issue on a few computers. Other
computers the script run perfectly when the user is not part of the local
admin. I'm only having this issue on about 4 maybe 5 machines.

I'm lost and confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Nick

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Feb 13, 2008, 12:44:06 PM2/13/08
This is normal. The user must be a local admin to install most types of
software. On the problematic machines, I wonder if the Domain Users group
is now a member of the local 'administrators' group? That would explain why
any user logging into these machines can run the script (i.e, they are
elevated to local admins on these machines at login).

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Nick" <Ni...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nick

Feb 13, 2008, 1:16:03 PM2/13/08
Actually I can't find any difference in the setup of the working vs. not
working computers. The user permissions are the same on each computer.

I created a test user and logged in both computers one errored and one
didn't. I checked the local admin group and domain users is not listed.

I can't figure out any reason for this. All computers were created from the
same RIS image and connected to the network the exact same way (SBS Wizards).
I even tested my test user account on the working computer. It DOES NOT have
local admin rights. I get access denied errors. Can you think of anything
else?

This is a recent development. I have never had a user be a part of local
admins group in the past

Shawn Shao [MSFT]

Feb 14, 2008, 5:33:19 AM2/14/08

Hi Nick,

Thank you for posting here and also Merv's input!

From your post, I understand that domain users receive the following error message when some workstations logon
domain.

"Client Setup Wizard: The System cannot copy a file from the server to this computer. Make sure that the network cables
and devices are plugged in and functioning properly, and then try again to join this computer to the network."

For Vista machines, they will ask for User Account Control for permission to connect to the domain. If we grant the local
admin permission, the script runs successfully on either XP or Vista. If I am off base, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Based on my experience, when creating a SBS domain user account, there is option to create client computer for this user
account. If you do so, this user will be added to local admin user group on the client computers. Thus, this user account can
install software deployed by Client Setup Wizard. On the other hand, other accounts will not be added to local admin group
on this client.

By default, to run scripts or install software, local admin privilege is required. Thus, if you would like to install applications
under specific user account, you may need to add it to the local admin group first. I also suspect this issue can be related
to the programs installed on the different computers. If related programs have been installed properly. That's no need to
run the script, thus, no error will be encountered.

Some other troubleshooting steps for your reference:

Step 1: Based on my experience, the issue should lies in that there are two duplicate entries in the
SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat file. By default, it should be only one command \\SERVERNAME\Clients\Setup\setup.exe /s
SERVERNAME in it when you open it with notepad.

If there are two duplicate entries in the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat file, please remove it from the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat
file, and then logoff and logon the workstation to see if what happens.

Step 2: Manually run <\\servername\Clients\Setup\setup.exe /s servername> on one problematic workstation, do you
receive the error message?

Note: Please replace the "servername" with the valid server name in your side.

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Shawn Shao
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have issues regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better
post in the corresponding newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner. You can locate the
newsgroup here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx

When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check the "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-
mail notifications when there are any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your newsreader, please
"Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we provide other information for your reference, we
recommend you post different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In doing so, it will ensure your issues
are resolved in a timely manner.

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional
support phone numbers.

Nick

Apr 17, 2008, 3:57:02 PM4/17/08
Hi Merv and Shawn,

I wanted to let you know I finally found a work around.

I WAS NOT happy with adding users to the local admin group even for first
logon. Talk about alot of extra work!!! I have 75+ user that can login to any
machine at any time. I wouldn't know who and when to remove from the group.
The other reason - If I made even a small change to the script the users
wouldn't receive the change because they would no longer be in the local
admin group so the script would not run.

I knew there had to be a way to make this script run with only user
permissions because so many of my computers were working correctly and only a
few were not.

So the work arounds:

XP - make sure the users have "write" permission to the Windows\Temp folder

Vista - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\smallbusinessserver
Give users modify access to this key.

The scipts runs perfectly now on both machines.

Shawn Shao [MSFT]

Apr 18, 2008, 10:09:39 AM4/18/08

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your reply and sharing your work around with us!

For your reference, I also included some articles about SBS:

Troubleshooting Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/1/561c9fd7-0e27-4525-94ec-4d2d38f61aa3/TSHT_SBS.htm

Using Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 in a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46E95C56-1A4C-45BD-8D69-5F41FF8F1F22
&displaylang=en

Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/smallbusiness/prodtech/sbs/backup_restore_sbs2003.mspx

Securing Your Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/maintain/sbsecnet.mspx

Moving Data Folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/maintain/movedata.mspx

Have a nice weekend!

Best Regards,

Shawn Shao (MSFT)
Microsoft Partner Online Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with break/fix issues and simple
how to questions.

We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from this issue.