RE: Enable POP3 collection from Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Apr 15, 2005, 5:50:05 AM4/15/05
Hi Nige,

Welcome to the SBS newsgroup.

According to your description, I understand that you want to start the POP3
service on the SBS 2003. If I am off base, please let me know.

You can enable your SBS 2003 server as a POP3 server by doing the following
steps:

1. Open Services from Administrative Tools.
2. Open "Microsoft Exchange POP3" service.
3. Set its startup type to "Automatic", click Apply and then click
"Start" to start the service.
4. Open Exchange System Manager and go to
Servers\ServerName\Protocols\POP3.
5. Right click on "Default POP3 Virtual Server" and click Start if it
is not started.
6. Right click on the virtual server and choose Properties.
7. On the General tab, make sure "All Unassigned" is selected in the
"IP address" drop-down list. Click OK.
8. Open the Server Management console. Go to Standard Management\To
Do List.
9. Click the "Connect to the Internet" link.
10. Do not change the connection type and click Next.
11. On the Firewall page, select "Enable Firewall" and click Next.
12. On the "Services Configuration" page, click Add.
13. Specify the following information and click OK:

Service name: Incoming POP3 Acces
Protocol: TCP
Port: 110
Direction: Inbound

14. Click Next and follow through the wizard.
You can double check that POP3 service is working by going to a command
prompt and telnet your server on port 110:

telnet mail.mydomain.com 110

You get something like "Microsoft Exchange POP server version X.XX Ready"
if it's working. Then confirm that the user and password work by typing:

user <username> -- should return "+OK"
pass <password> -- should return something like "user successfully logged
in to see emails waiting for them, type "list"

Hope the above information helpful, if you have any further concerns;
please do not hesitate to let me know. I am here waiting for your updates.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support