HrESEBackupSetup

Ken Sikora

Apr 13, 2006, 9:42:54 AM4/13/06
My SBS backups fail with the following, any suggestions?

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 4/12/2006 at 1:51 AM.
The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Instance not found

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid sequence.

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-'
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 4/12/2006 at 1:51 AM.
Directories: 0
Files: 0
Time:  1 second

--

Ken Sikora
Access Technology, Inc.

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Apr 13, 2006, 11:09:39 PM4/13/06
Hello Ken,

Thank you for posting to the SBS Newsgroup.

I understand that you encounter error when trying to backup SBS 2K3 Server.
If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know.

Based on my experience, there are various factors can cause this issue,
please take your time to read through my reply and then perform the
suggestions:

=========

Suggestion 1:

May I know if you configure "Recovery Storage Group" (RSG) on the SBS
server and backup "Recovery Storage Group", please?

If yes, please perform following steps to use NTbackup to manually remove
Recovery Storage Group reference from the backup selection script:

1. Click Start and click Run.
2. Key in NTBackup.
3. Go to Advanced Mode.
4. Click Backup tab.
5. Click Job and click Load Selections.
6. Select Small Business Backup Script.bks
7. Click OK on the error message:

Some invalid selections found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks.

8. Click Job and click Save Selections.
9. Test the issue to see if the problem persists.

Suggestion 2:

This issue occurs if your Exchange Server 2003 database files are located
on the same drive as the Windows Server 2003 operating system. Please see
KB820272:

820272 Backup operation fails when you back up Exchange Server 2003
databases and System State Information at the same time
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820272

Suggestion 3:

This behavior may also occur because the Backup utility activates all
Volume Shadow Copy service backup writers, including the backup writer used
for Exchange Server 2003. By doing so, Exchange Server 2003 is in a "backup
in progress" state even though Exchange Server 2003 is not selected as a
component of the volume shadow copy backup. The Backup utility does not
release Exchange Server 2003 from "backup in progress" state until the
backup operation is completed.

The Backup utility does not use the Volume Shadow Copy service to back up
the Exchange Server 2003 information store. The Backup utility uses the
Exchange Server 2003 online backup streaming API to back up the Exchange
Server 2003 information store. Because the Volume Shadow Copy service has
already locked the Exchange Server 2003 information store for backup, the
streaming API cannot bind to the databases. As a result, you experience the
symptoms described in the "Symptoms" section of this article.

To work around this behavior, back up the Exchange Server 2003 information
store and Windows system state data by using separate backup operations.

For you reference:

Backup Operation Fails When You Back Up Exchange Server 2003 Databases and
System State Information at the Same Time
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820272

=========

If the issue persists, please help me gather following information for
further research:

1. When did the issue occur? Did you have this issue before? If no, did you
make any changes on the SBS Server recently? Like move folder or files,
install any updates or software?

2. On the server, run "eventvwr" (without quotation marks), check whether
there are any errors. If yes, double click it, click the Copy button and
paste the full content to the Newsgroup.

3. Please zip the Backup logs and send them as two attachments to my
mailbox:

a. The Backupxx.log files in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS
Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data'.
b. The Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the folder
'%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.

Please take your time to perform the steps. If you have any updates, please
feel free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "Ken Sikora" <k...@richmonder.com>
>Subject: HrESEBackupSetup
>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:42:54 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Apr 16, 2006, 11:03:23 PM4/16/06
Hello Ken,

Thank you for posting back!

I am sorry for the delayed response due to the weekend. Please understand
that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals
to answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

Actually, the issue does not occur if "Exchange Server 2003 database files
are located on the same drive as the Windows Server 2003 operating system",
but occurs if you backup the Exchange Server 2003 database files and the
Windows Server 2003 operating system together.

This issue occurs when the Exchange Server 2003 databases are on the system
drive, and you perform a System State backup, the Exchange Server 2003
storage group is frozen during the System State backup operation. Because
of this, the streaming backup of the Exchange Server 2003 databases cannot
start. You cannot perform two simultaneous backups on the same storage
group.

In KB 820272, we have two methods to work around:

Method 1: Perform Separate Backup Operations
Configure separate backup operations for the System State and the Exchange
Server 2003 databases. After the System State backup is complete, the
storage group is unfrozen and may be backed up successfully.

Method 2: Move the Exchange Server 2003 Database Files
Move the Exchange Server 2003 databases to a drive other than the operating
system drive. This permits you to back up both the Exchange Server 2003
databases and the System State information at the same time.

Please read Step 6: Move Exchange Databases and Log Files in our White
Paper below:

Moving Data Folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/6/11671e4d-fb21-489c-870f-db36fd2
1a7d2/SBS_MoveDataFolders.DOC#_Toc83458189

I still suggest that you read through our KB820272 for more detail
information. For your best convenience, I have pasted the web link below:

820272 Backup operation fails when you back up Exchange Server 2003
databases and System State Information at the same time
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820272

==============

If the issue persists after the steps above, I would like to let you know
other some possible causes and troubleshooting steps as below:

1. Check if the tape runs out of disk space.

2. Reboot the server if possible. After that, does the problem persist?

3. Check the suggestion 3 in my previous reply to see if it helps.

4. On the server, run "eventvwr" (without quotation marks), check whether

there are any errors. If yes, double click it, click the Copy button and
paste the full content to the Newsgroup.

5. Please zip the Backup logs and send them as two attachments to my
mailbox:

a. The Backupxx.log files in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS
Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data'.

b. The Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the folder
'%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.

By the way, I strongly suggest that you reply back to our Newsgroup, so the
other customers who visit our Newsgroup regularly can benefit from your SBS
experience, and learn from your interaction with us. Thanks a lot for your
understanding!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

Sikora@discussions.microsoft.com Ken Sikora

Apr 18, 2006, 10:24:02 AM4/18/06
Thanks for the suggestions.

The main solution that appears to be suggested is to run the Exchange Backup
seperately from the System backup. I would like to try that but the SBS
backup that is built in is limited in the choices and I don't see how to do
that. I assume I'd use ntbackup but can you just give me a step by step on
how to configure that?

Thank You,

Ken

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Apr 18, 2006, 10:33:58 PM4/18/06
Hello Ken,

Thank you for posting back!

Please read through my steps and then perform the steps:

1. On the SBS Server, go to Start -> Run "ntbackup" (without quotation
marks).
2. You are in the Backup or Restore Wizard, click Advanced Mode.
3. Click the Backup tab. From the Job menu, choose Load Selections
4. On the right pane, you will see "System State" and "Microsoft Exchange
Server". Please select one of it. On the Job menu, select Save Selections.
5. In the File Name box type %sbsprogramdir%\backup.
6. Click Small Business Backup Script.bks to select, and click Open.
7. Please choose your backup tape as backup destination.
8. On the Backup tab, click Start Backup.
9. Can the problem be reproduced?

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIFNpa29yYQ==?= <Ken Sik...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: RE: HrESEBackupSetup
>Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:24:02 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Ken Sikora

Apr 19, 2006, 11:05:02 AM4/19/06
Brandy,

Thanks for your post. However, this was not the correct solution. The
correct solution was posted by Steve Foster, see below:

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" wrote:

> Ken Sikora wrote:
>
> >The backups were working fine for a few weeks. Then we started getting
> >failed backups. Here's the log file, can anyone give us some suggestions?
> >

> >Backup of "SBSIRSERVER\Microsoft Information Store\Recovery Storage Group"
>
> There's the big hint. You have created a Recovery Storage Group (RSG) -
> which is something that should only be done for Exchange recovery work.

> >Backup started on 4/12/2006 at 1:51 AM.
> >The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Instance not found
> >
> >' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft
> >Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid sequence.
> >
> >' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-'
>

> And this suggests that there's nothing in the RSG.
>
> Delete the RSG.
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Apr 20, 2006, 2:51:45 AM4/20/06
Hello Ken,

Thank you for posting back!

I am glad to hear that our MVP's suggestion has worked and thing is working
correctly on your side now.

Ken, I am sorry but from your 16th Apr reply, you mentioned "To answer your
question, I have not configured the Recovery Storage Group", so I did not
consider this.

For your best convenience, I have found following Web Documents for your
future reference:

Windows Small Business Server 2003 Troubleshooting
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/1/561c9fd7-0e27-4525-94ec-4d2d38f
61aa3/TSHT_SBS.htm

Windows Small Business Server 2003: Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalfaq.
mspx

Windows Small Business Server 2003 Resources
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/default.asp

Training and Events for Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/techinfo/training/default.msp

Hope it helps. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue,
please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of further assistance!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?S2VuIFNpa29yYQ==?= <KenS...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: RE: HrESEBackupSetup
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:05:02 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Brandy Nee [MSFT]

Apr 21, 2006, 2:30:26 AM4/21/06
Hello Ken,

Thank you for posting back and your updates!

Please do not hesitate to keep posting in our Newsgroup in the future, we
are glad to be working with you again!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee