Error with x400

klein425

Apr 13, 2005, 12:13:37 AM4/13/05
This is the error I get when looking at the Exchange server queues
under Exchange MTA, the state is "not available":

Exchange System Manager failed to retrieve queues for the X400
protocol (error code = 0x800706D9). Check the event log and verify
that the required services are running.

I am running Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange active. I have
users that cannot send mail overseas to *.de (Germany), also have
users that have mail taking 20 minutes to reach recipient. I'm not
sure if any of these problems are related to the error message. Any
suggestions?

Bill Peng [MSFT]

Apr 14, 2005, 1:56:51 AM4/14/05
Hi Klein,

Thank you for posting here.

I understand the problem is:

When viewing the queues in Exchange System Manager, the Exchange MTA queue displays with an
exclamation error. If you highlight it, the following error can be read on the bottom of the window:

Exchange System Manager failed to retrieve queues for the X400 protocol (error code = 0x800706D9).
Check the event log and verify that the required services are running.

The problem is due to the fact that SBS disables the MTA Stacks.

If they are not needed (to connect to a remove MTA, foreign connector, etc), then no action is
necessary, the error can be ignored.

However, if the MTA Stacks are needed, the following needs to be done to re-enable them. Enabling the
MTA is a two step process; it requires making changes to the startup type of a service and also performs
some registry editions.

[Note] Before starting, make sure you have a good working system state backup.

1. Removal of Registry Keys:

a) Open Registry Editor.
b) Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\servername\Private-
GUID_of_private_mdb

Remove the following two entries:

"Gateway In Threads"
"Gateway Out Threads"

c) Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\servername\Public-GUID_of_public_mdb

Remove the following two entries:

"Gateway In Threads"
"Gateway Out Threads"

d) Close Regedit.exe.

2. Changing the startup type of the Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service.

a) Open the Services MMC (or open Run and type Services.msc and then press OK).
b) Double click on top of the Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks entry to open its properties.
c) In the General tab, change the Startup type from Disabled to Automatic, click Apply and then start the
service. Close the properties.
d) Do not close the Services MMC yet.

3. Re-starting services

a) Select the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service and perform a re-start, this will also re-start
all dependant services.
b) Close the Services MMC.

Then the problem should be gone.

For the second problem about mail delivery, please open another thread to keep this one clean. I'd like to
provide some info for your reference as well.

1. To troubleshoot NDR:
Delivery status notifications in Exchange Server and in Small Business Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284204/en-us

2. To use Message Tracking Center:
XCON: General Troubleshooting for Exchange 2000 Transport Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257265

3. To use Telnet:
XFOR: Telnet to Port 25 of IMC to Test IMC Communication:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=153119

I hope the above info helps.

Any update, let's get in touch.

Bill Peng
MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and
benefit from your issue.