Re-allocate licenses?

BJ

Apr 18, 2005, 8:39:58 AM4/18/05
I've seen all the articles posted that say you can reallocate licenses when
an employee leaves the company, but no where can I find how to do it.

TIA

Bobby

SuperGumby [SBS MVP]

Apr 18, 2005, 8:51:47 AM4/18/05
basically, you take the post-it note you wrote '1 allocated user CAL' on off
the now ex-employee's forehead and smack it on the new employee's forehead
as they walk in the door.

seriously.

"BJ" <b...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

Bobby Janow

Apr 18, 2005, 8:58:34 AM4/18/05
Haha, very funny.

But the question is really regarding the way SBS counts licenses. Since it's
not concurrent users, how do it know I just pasted this post it note on a
new employees chest err... forehead? When I create a new user, won't SBS use
another CAL? Is the only way to release that CAL to delete them from AD?

Bobby

"SuperGumby [SBS MVP]" <n...@your.nellie> wrote in message

Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]

Apr 18, 2005, 8:56:56 AM4/18/05
The only "Allocation" that is made between License and User or License
and Device is one you write down and file. There is no "System" mapping
of these licenses. (.....yet.)

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

SuperGumby [SBS MVP]

Apr 18, 2005, 9:24:45 AM4/18/05
no, it's not funny at all. That's why I wrote 'seriously' on the end of it.
The SBS does not know who a user cal is assigned to, nor does it know which
device a device CAL has been assigned to.

SBS licensing does not distinguish the number of defined users, nor does it
rely on devices defined as being members of the domain. (like, hey, my 37
PDA's which connect under my user CAL rights aren't even defined in the AD)

You, not your computer, are responsible for ensuring license adherence.

"Bobby Janow" <bja...@msn.com> wrote in message

BJ

Apr 19, 2005, 8:09:10 AM4/19/05
But under "licensing" in the control panel it says, maximum licenses used
21, licenses 30 (which is my current purchases). How does it know or where
does it get the #21 from?

Bobby
"SuperGumby [SBS MVP]" <n...@your.nellie> wrote in message

SuperGumby [SBS MVP]

Apr 19, 2005, 9:01:30 AM4/19/05
Yes, SBS can accurately track the number of installed licenses.

The Windows License Logging Service, which is used by SBS, is not quite
capable of accurately counting the modified CALs used by SBS.