Error when using the Internet Connection Wizard.

Majorowicz@discussions.microsoft.com Jim Majorowicz

Mar 16, 2005, 5:41:04 PM3/16/05
I really hate bugging you all when I can't seem to find the time lately to
help around here much myself, but I just ran into a rather annoying little
problem on a new server install of SBS2003 Premium (having not started the
5th disk yet).

I go to run the CEICW and get the following error:

"An error occurred while configuring a component. To continue with..."

KB Article 875421 suggests:

"This problem may occur if the Domain Name System (DNS) forward lookup zone
for the Active Directory namespace is not set to Active Directory-integrated.
When the DNS forward look up zone is not set to Active Directory-integrated,
you cannot set Dynamic updates to Secure only."

But it also notes additionally, the following errors appear in the \Program
Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Support\Icwlog.txt log file:

Error 0x8007258b returned from call to Enabling secure dynamic DNS updates().
Error 0x8007258b returned from call to CNetCommit::Common().
Error 0x8007258b returned from call to CNetCommit::Commit().

But I don't have that error in that log file. Plus in checking the forward
lookup zone for the .local domain, it is configured to be Active
Directory-integrated.

There are five errors in the lcwlog.txt file that might relate and they all
start: Error 0x80070057 returned from call to...

they are:
... adding routers IP address to the internet zone.
... CNetCommit::DoRouter()
... Configuring rounter connection()
... CNetCommit::Common()
... CNetCommit::Commit()

I am using the "Springer method" of two NICs on this server, and the
Internet side connects to a Juniper Networks NetScreen-5GT which is the first
time I've used one of these firewalls. (It was the customer's choice, not
mine. I prefer to use Netgear.)

Any ideas what is going on here?

Bill Swan

Mar 16, 2005, 6:17:53 PM3/16/05
Hi Jim

First thing I would do is disconnect the router, change the IP address of
the second nic to a different internal lan range and the rerun wizard. This
will then tell us if the router config is doing something

--
www.smallbizserver.net (2000 and 2003)

microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000 (2000 NG)

microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (2003 NG)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&group=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

http://www.sbslinks.com/

http://www.sbsmigration.com
"Jim Majorowicz" <Jim Major...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Majorowicz@discussions.microsoft.com Jim Majorowicz

Mar 16, 2005, 6:33:02 PM3/16/05
Bill,

Would you still say this if I have changed the router to something I know
has worked in the past and still has the same problem? I even switched out
the NIC, and got the same result as well. I will give this a try though
while I'm waiting.

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Mar 16, 2005, 6:58:39 PM3/16/05
Hi Jim,

The "Springer method"??? Care to elaborate?
Can you post the ipconfig/all from the server please?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Jim Majorowicz" <Jim Major...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in
bericht news:8457B9C5-0909-4FF5...@microsoft.com...

Wieland@discussions.microsoft.com Sean Wieland

Apr 9, 2005, 10:23:01 PM4/9/05
Marina,
I am having the same problem... Here is the information from the IEC:
URL to the router is http://192.168.1.1
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to Adding routers IP address to the
intranet zone().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::DoRouter().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to Configuring for router connection().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::Common().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::Commit().

Here is my Windows IP Configuration:
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sbs
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : TechMedium.local
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : TechMedium.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP NC3163 Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-A5-AB-01-5B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

I've read Article ID: 875421 and verified DNS is Active Directory
integrated. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sean

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Apr 10, 2005, 9:49:21 AM4/10/05
Hi Sean,

Are you letting CEICW configure the router for you? If yes, try without it.
Which options are you choosing in the network configuration?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Sean Wieland" <Sean Wie...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Sean Wieland

Apr 16, 2005, 5:16:02 PM4/16/05
Marina,
No I am not letting CEICW configure the router... Here are the selections I
am making when running the CEICW:
*Do you want the wizard to configure the router? - NO
*Connection Type - Broadband
*Broadband Connection - A local router device with an IP Address
*Router Connection - Primary DNS - 4.2.x.x, Alternative DNS, 4.2.x.x, Router
192.168.1.1, (Check Box Selected) My server uses a single network connection
for both internet access and the local area network.
*CEICW: Do you want to view information about configuration for an existing
firewall? - NO (I have ness. ports enabled.)
*Web Services (Allow) - Outlook Web Access, Remote Web Workplace, Server
performance and usage reports, Windows SharePoint Services intranet site.
*Create a new Web Server Certificate - *.techmedium.net
*Internet E-mail - Enable Internet E-mail
*E-mail Delivery Method - Use DNS to route e-mail
*E-mail Retrieval Method - Use Exchange, E-mail is delivered directly to my
server.
*E-mail Domain Name - TechMedium.net
*Remove E-mail Attachments - Enable Exchange Server to remove Internet
e-mail attachments that have the following extensions, Save Removed
Attachments in a folder.

Please let me know if you can offer any suggestions. I have tried running
CEICW with router enabled also, with router disabled and e-mail disabled.
All ways give me "An error occoured while configuring a component." during
Network Configuration. The MS Knowledge Base Article doesn't apply per my
Thanks so much for your help!
-Sean

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Apr 16, 2005, 6:43:01 PM4/16/05
Hi Sean,

You are missing the Services page, but that is not the most important thing.
Standard or Premium? What kind of a router are you using? Did your ISP
create a dns record for your webcertificate ..techmedium.net?

Can you email me privately about your domainname and IP? Take out the
obvious no spam part between the dots.
--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Sean Wieland" <SeanW...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Nick Morland

Apr 20, 2005, 12:07:20 PM4/20/05
Sean - are you installing on HP ProLiant hardware?

Sean Wieland

Apr 23, 2005, 7:09:03 PM4/23/05
Nick,
Yes I am installing on a Compaq Proliant ML370 G2 Server. Is there
something about Proliant Servers? I have been wondering if it has something
to do with the "HP Network Configuration Utility 7" that I am unable to
disable on my network adapter.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
-Sean

bradharley

Apr 26, 2005, 1:43:31 AM4/26/05
After examining the icwlog.txt errors showing:

URL to the router is http://10.0.0.1
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to Adding routers IP address to
the intranet zone().

Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::DoRouter().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to Configuring for router
connection().

Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::Common().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::Commit().

I began to wonder....what if I add http://routerIPaddress to the
Internet Explorer INTRANET ZONE manually? Same error as shown in the
log file! Invalid format....

HOWEVER .... in doing so I noticed that
the dialog for manually adding these entries appears changed from
that in prior releases of SBS 2003. Three new check boxes are now
listed, and I have to click on ADVANCED in order to view the dialog
shown on the prior 59 SBS 2003 installs we have done in the past
year.

Odd...yes? Version information of Internet Explorer is identical to
that in a server we installed just last week.

Why does this additional dialog appear? I don't know.

How to get around it? I figured that one out! We must remove the
INTERNET EXPLORER ENHANCED SECURITY CONFIGURATION:

ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS>WINDOWS COMPONENTS>INTERNET EXPLORER
ENHANCED SECURITY CONFIGURATION.

Suddenly...the Internet Connection Wizard runs and we have lift off!

I have gone back in and re-enabled the ENHANCED SECURITY CONFIGURATION
without error....unless you should need to run the INTERNET SETUP
WIZARD at which time you will once again expierence the error.

Apparently, either a security change was incorporated into the SBS
2003 package by the latest HP SmartStart Setup Assistant (likely) or
Microsoft Slipstreamed an update into the current release of SBS 2003
Standard (OEM) that has introduced this problem.

bradharley

Apr 26, 2005, 1:43:31 AM4/26/05
I am having the same problem! Using an HP Proliant ML350 G4 server.
We have setup SBS 2003 on numerous G3 iterations without fail...this
is our first G4 and wouldn't you know it...problem!

URL to the router is http://10.0.0.1
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to Adding routers IP address to
the intranet zone().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::DoRouter().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to Configuring for router
connection().

Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::Common().
Error 0x80070057 returned from call to CNetCommit::Commit().

Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]

Apr 26, 2005, 3:17:44 AM4/26/05
Interesting.... Forwarding that to MS.
Thanks Brad.

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

"bradharley" <br...@networksystemsinc-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:6budnY3I-uO...@giganews.com...

Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]

Apr 26, 2005, 10:29:59 PM4/26/05
An associate sent this from a snippet he found of an MS response on a
similar issue, so maybe MS know what this is .....

====
<snip>

Error 0x80070057 returned from call to Adding routers IP address to the
intranet zone().

What is your SBS server brand? Based on my experience, I believe your
SBS server is HP/Compaq and you must have HP Smart Start or some other
third-party software installed. It seems to be blocking/breaking new
entries to go into the IE security zones. It is also setting the
"Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone"
checkbox on the local intranet zone. The third party product also seems
to be removing the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\ZoneMap

To resolve this issue, you may need the following work.

1. Contact your third-party software vendor and make sure this software
does not interfere with SBS server. Or totally remove it.

2. Make sure the above registry key is restored. You could import it
from a known good user.

3. Rerun the CEICW and make sure it is finished successfully.

If you have any questions or concerns related to this issue, please let
me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
<end>
=========

Don't know it that helps...

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

"bradharley" <br...@networksystemsinc-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:6budnZLI-uO...@giganews.com...

Sean Wieland

May 8, 2005, 12:50:02 AM5/8/05
Brad - Thank you for the post, I uninstalled "Internet Explorer Enhanced
Secutrity Configuration" and was then able to complete the Internet
Conneciton Wizard!!!

Hopefully Microsoft will post your find to their website, thanks!!!
-Sean