OWA and attachments

Joel Robinson

Apr 24, 2006, 7:16:07 PM4/24/06
I have a client who is attempting to save a three line excel spreadsheet
attached to an email.

If done in outlook 2003, no problem.

If done in owa (2003), saving to his machine results in a zero length file.

A test with a 20k spreadsheet with owa works ok.

Any idea. He has no control over the sender who only sends file as excel.
Obviously sending as simple text might solve it. But he does not have a
choice.

Joel in Toronto

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Apr 25, 2006, 2:20:43 AM4/25/06
Hi Joel,

Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup.

From your description, I understand the issue to be: Excel attachment file
with a message sent from OWA site was turned to be 0 byte file. If I am off
base, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Before we go any further, please kindly help me collect some information to
isolate the issue:

1. Does the issue only happen on the specific three line Excel Spreadsheet
or all three line Excel Spreadsheets? Please try to use another three line
Excel Spreadsheets to test, what is the result?

2. Do you mean if you attach a big Excel Spreadsheet in OWA, the issue does
not appear?

3. Can you send the three line Excel spreadsheet to me for analyze? Based
on my research, there is not such known issue on OWA site. We need use the
excel file to isolate it is the file issue or the server side issue. you
can mail me the file to v-ya...@microsoft.com

I appreciate your time. I am happy to be of assistance to you and look
forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "Joel Robinson" <jo...@askjoel.com>
>Subject: OWA and attachments
>Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:16:07 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Joel Robinson

Apr 25, 2006, 7:29:04 AM4/25/06
The actual file, which turns out to be html despite the xls extension was
sent to you privately.

It was not possible to save as a non-zero length file via owa - even
changing the file name.

""Jenny wu [MSFT]"" <v-ya...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Apr 25, 2006, 8:20:17 AM4/25/06
Hi Joel,

Thanks for your update. I appreciate your time.

Yes, your tests result is correct. The issue should lies in the specific
file. The process is totally different between Outlook clients to access
the mailbox store and that of the OWA client. The Outlook client use MAPI
protocol to access the mailbox store directly, and the OWA client access
the store through HTTP protocol, data will be transferred by format
conversion. So if the file is saved in other extension, the data may not be
resolved properly and is lost.

Please let me know if you have further question on the issue. I am happy to
be of assistance to you.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,