Problem with Network interface - hangs during "Preparing network connections"

Anders K. Olsen

Sep 6, 2005, 4:14:35 AM9/6/05
Hello group

We are having some problems with one of the network interfaces in our
server.

Our SBS server has two network interfaces. We were using ISA server 2000 as
firewall between the internet and our intranet.

I was trying to upgrade the SBS to ServicePack 1, but at some point during
the upgrade, i noticed that the external network interface had stopped
working. I have no idea what made it stop working, but there was no light in
the diodes during boot, so i assume it was not a Windows problem.

I had to do something so that my colleagues could access their email, so I
found our old hardware firewall, changed the internal interface to an
external interface and placed everything behind the hardware firewall. This
involved disabling the network interface entirely in the BIOS and changing
the IP address of the previous internal interface to the IP of the previous
external interface.

Now I have exchange up an runnning again, but I uninstalled the ISA server
in the process and used CEICW (?) to configure the server to only have one
network interface.

Later I got the network interface to work again by upgrading the motherboard
BIOS, however when I enable the network interface in the server BIOS again,
Windows hangs during "Preparing network connections".

I thought that it was because windows was trying to assign the same IP to
both network interfaces (because of the changes I made to change the
internal NIC to external NIC), so I tried to assign a different Ip to the
working network interface and then enable the other interface in the BIOS
again. Windows still hangs during "Preparing network connections".

Any suggestions on how to I can enable both interfaces again?

Regards
Anders Olsen

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Sep 6, 2005, 11:39:39 PM9/6/05
HI Anders,

Welcome to SBS newsgroup.

Issue description:
===========

I understand that you encountered some problem that when you plug the new
NIC on SBS 2003, the system hang up at the "Preparing network connections"

Analyzing and suggestions:
=============

Generally speaking, this issue might be occured if the system detects some
interruption on the network card. This might be a hardware interrupt on the
IP address. For your scenario, I suggest you first follow my steps to try
to add your NIC:

1. Disable the NIC on your motherboard.
2. Enter into SBS 2003 and then run CEICW wizard to configure your SBS 2003
to be a firewall with one NIC. (Can I assume that your firewall is also a
router?) Make sure that you point the default gateway on the router and set
the NIC as an internal NIC, set the external address on firewall, you can
refer to the KB article below:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

If the firewall is not the router, in that situation you might have put the
that NIC to use a public IP address, I suggest you temporally disconnect
the internet and configure the NIC that exists on the SBS using an internal
NIC for example: 192.168.x.x. Then restart the computer to see if the issue
can be resolved.

If the issue still exists, please refer to my suggestion below (please
disable the NIC first):

Check to make sure the network binding orders are correct. To do so, follow
the steps below:

a. Right click My Network Places and choose Properties.

b. On the "Advanced" menu, click "Advanced Settings".

c. All the local area connections and remote access connections appear in
the top window that is named "Connections". Use the arrow keys to move
connections to the following order:

Server local area connection (local area network adapter) (That why I
suggest you use your existing NIC to be the internal NIC not the internet
NIC)
Network connection (Internet connection adapter)
Any additional network adapters
(Remote access connections)

We appreciate your taking the time to perform tests, please feel free to
let me know. If you have any further concerns. I am glad to help you.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: "Anders K. Olsen" <ako...@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Problem with Network interface - hangs during "Preparing network
connections"
| Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:14:35 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Anders K. Olsen

Sep 8, 2005, 3:06:01 AM9/8/05
""Charles Yang [MSFT]"" <v-ch...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> HI Anders,
>
> Welcome to SBS newsgroup.
>
> Issue description:
> ===========
>
> I understand that you encountered some problem that when you plug the new
> NIC on SBS 2003, the system hang up at the "Preparing network connections"
>
> Analyzing and suggestions:
> =============

Hello Charles

Thank you for your answer.

I will try what you have suggested. However something else have come up, so
I don't have time to look into it now.

I will write another message in the news group, if I still have problems.

Regards

Anders Olsen

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Sep 8, 2005, 5:09:12 AM9/8/05
HI Anders,

Thanks for updates. We temporally achive your post, you can post back as
your convenience.

Please feel free here.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

| Subject: Re: Problem with Network interface - hangs during "Preparing
network connections"
| Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:06:01 +0200

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
0.phx.gbl

Anders K. Olsen

Sep 8, 2005, 7:11:07 AM9/8/05

> HI Anders,
>
> Thanks for updates. We temporally achive your post, you can post back as
> your convenience.
>
> Please feel free here.

Hello Charles

Thank you for the offer. I really appreciate the support you are giving here
in this news group.

I just had time to try a few things in the lunch break. I enabled the
network adapter in the BIOS and booted the server in Safe Mode. This
succeeded, but of course without network support. In safe mode I uninstalled
the network adapter in the Device manager. I then rebooted the server in
normal mode, and now both network adapters are enabled.

Now I just need to find time to install and configure ISA server again. This
will have to wait until next week.

Again, thank you for your answers.

Regards
Anders

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Sep 8, 2005, 8:49:32 PM9/8/05

HI Anders,

Thanks for updates. You can post back any progress, we will help you deal
with this issue.

Please feel free here.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)