SBS Restore and Exchange Error

Mark

Aug 15, 2006, 4:42:21 PM8/15/06
I restored the SBS 03 server from backup, everything worked fine, except
that when I try to search messages using the Message Tracking Center in
Exchange System Manager, I got the error:

An error occurred during a call to Windows Management Instrumentation
ID no: 80041010
Exchange System Manager

The steps I took to restore is: Install OS using SBS 2003 CD 1, Applied Win
Server SP1, Restored everything from Tape, Applied Exchanger Server 03 SP1.

Does anyone have similar experience? Any suggestion will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

chace zhang

Aug 16, 2006, 2:57:24 AM8/16/06

Thank you for posting here.

From you post I understand you encountered the following error during using
Message Tracking

An error occurred during a call to Windows Management Instrumentation ID
no: 80041010 Exchange System Manager

I want to explain that we need more time on this issue, since issue related
WMI is really complex and time-consuming.

Based on my research, please perform the following tests on this issue:

The WMI Error 80041010 means the "wbem_e_provider_failure". Please refer to
the following information to troubleshoot the issue.

First I suggest that Registered the message tracking class in WMI using
following command:

mofcomp -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange
c:\windows\system32\wbem\msgtrk.mof

TEST 1: Check the WMI Service
The quickest way to test the WMI service is to start the WMI Control
snap-in:

a. Start -> Run -> Open: wmimgmt.msc

b. Right Click on "WMI Control (Local)"

c. Select Properties

If the WMI service is configured properly, the control snap-in will connect
to WMI
and display the properties dialog. Under the "General" tab you should see
information about the operating system and the version of WMI.

TEST 2: Check Security
---------------------------------------

While still in the WMI Control MMC, do the following:

a. Click on the Security tab.

b. Expand Root and highlight Root/MicrosoftExchangeV2. Click the Security
tab.

Ensure permissions look good compared to a working server. A sample of
"good" permissions is:

Administrators - full inherited

Everyone - Inherited
Execute method
Provider Write
Enable account

Local Service - inherited
Execute method
Provider write
Enable account

Network Service - inherited
Execute method
Provider write
Enable account

c. Expand Root\CIMV2\Applications and highlight Exchange. Click the
Security tab. Ensure permissions look good compared to a working server.
Again - a sample of "good" permissions:

Administrators - full inherited

Everyone - Inherited
Execute method
Provider Write
Enable account

Local Service - inherited
Execute method
Provider write
Enable account

Network Service - inherited
Execute method
Provider write
Enable account

d. Check the permissions on the WINNT\SYSTEM32\WBEM directory and its
subdirectories on the hard drive to ensure they are the same as a working
system. A sample of "good" permissions on the WBEM directory follows, but
other permissions could of course be acceptable:

Administrators - implicit
Full control

Creator Owner - inherited
Special Access

Power Users - implicit
Read & Execute
List Folder Contents
Read

Power Users - inherited
Special Access

System - implicit
Full control

Users - implicit
Read & Execute
List Folder Contents
Read

TEST 3: Check Classes and Namespaces Using WBEMTEST.EXE
--------

a. Click Start -> Run and run wbemtest.exe (it should be installed with the

operating system).

b. In the WbemtestTester application click the Connect button.

c. In the Namespace field type in:

root\cimv2\applications\exchange

Then click the Connect button.

To test a remote machine in order to test remote capabilities type the

following in the Namespace field:

\\<servername>\cimv2\applications\exchange

d. Click the Enum Classes... button. Do not enter a superclass name. Click
the

Recursive option, and then click OK.

There should be 59 objects (Exchange 2003 sp1 or SP2) listed. Compare
them with a known good server running the same version and service pack to
ensure they are correct.

Click the Close button when finished.

e. In the Wbemtest Tester application click Connect again.

f. In the Namespace field type in:

root\microsoftExchangeV2

Then click the Connect button.

g. Click the Enum Classes... button. Do not enter a superclass name. Click
the Recursive option, and then click OK.

There should be 74 objects (Exchange 2003 sp1 and SP2) listed. Compare
them with a known good server running the same version and service pack to
ensure they are correct.

Click the Close button when finished.

h. Click the Enum Instances... button. Enter class name you would like to

enumerate** - such as Exchange_Server or Exchange_DSAccessDC (as an
example, see note below) - and then click OK.

** The Class name would depend on what you are troubleshooting and trying
to test.
You get the Class names from steps d. and/or g. when you enumerate the
Classes.

TEST 4: Register Exchange WMI related DLLs and Register Exchange WMI
Namespaces and Classes

--------
If you get a failure such as an invalid namespace or invalid class error
when performing tests 2 or 3, then you will need to attempt registration of
the necessary DLLs and to import the Exchange Namespaces and Classes.
Running the below commands will harm nothing if the DLLs are already
registered or if the Namespaces and/or Classes are already present in the
WMI Repository.

a. Uninstall and Reinstall the Exchange Management Service by running the
following commands in a command prompt in the Exchsrvr\Bin directory:

exmgmt.exe /uninstall

then

exmgmt.exe /install

b. Run the following command from a command prompt in the Program
Files\Exchsrvr\Bin directory:

regsvr32 /s exwmi.dll
regsvr32 /s cdowf.dll
regsvr32 /s cdowfevt.dll

c. Run the following commands from a command prompt in the
Windows\System32\Wbem directory:

mofcomp.exe -class:forceupdate C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM\exmgmt.mof

mofcomp.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM\exwmi.mof

mofcomp.exe -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange

"c:\winnt\system32\wbem\wbemcons.mof"

mofcomp.exe -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange

"c:\winnt\system32\wbem\smtpcons.mof"

mofcomp.exe -n:root\cimv2\applications\exchange

"c:\winnt\system32\wbem\msgtrk.mof"

d. Restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and all related
services.

Additional Troubleshooting Tool:

WMI CIM Studio:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=6430
F853-1120-48DB-8CC5-F2ABDC3ED314

This will download WMITools.exe which when installed will give you the WMI
CIM

Studio.

This can be used to browse the WMI Repository to view Namespaces, Classes,

Elements, and the properties of those Elements. Browsing is similar to
using Wbemtest.exe, but this tool is a bit easier to use.

Additional Troubleshooting Information:
===============================

1. You may try to apply Exchange 2003 SP2 on the server if not.

2. Ensure that both the Microsoft Exchange Management and the Windows
Management Instrumentation services are both started on the server.

3. If you uninstall and reinstall the Exchange Management service (see Test
4 above) then make sure you start the Exchange Management service in the
Service Control Manager.

4. You may get into a situation where it might seem beneficial to rebuild
the WMI Repository - like if all of the above does not help, and there are
additional WMI problems other than just Exchange, or it seems that
something may be corrupt in a Namespace or with a Class. Please contact the
Platforms Performance team with assistance in doing any sort of rebuild.

288590 Error "0x8004100e" and event ID 9097 occur when you run the System
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=288590

5. Try to test the issue on some other ESM clients. We can install ESM only
on another server.

Hope this helps! If anything is unclear or you need more help, just post
back into the newsgroup.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Chace Zhang (MSFT)