Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed

PCNS

Jan 28, 2007, 7:53:01 PM1/28/07
I am setting up a customers network to a SBS 2003. We have 27 workstations. I
have successfully migrated 25 of them over to SBS 2003 using the web client
http://servername/connectcomputer.

I have two workstations the will not install the SBS Networking Wizard. I
have been on the Internet for 9 hours reading and doing what they say along
with what I have found here posted on your site, NOTHING WORKS! I even went
as far as installing Netscape on one machine and set to IE and still the same
problem.

All the machines have the same patches, but some were running IE6 and IE7.
The two machines that WILL NOT CONNECT on was on IE6 and the other on IE7. I
have gone and patched the SBS 2003 with all the latest patches along with
both workstations.

It makes no difference if the workstations have static IP or the SBS DHCP
server gives them IP address. I have flushed the DNS on these two
workstations along with on the SBS server. I was even able to add an
additional workstation after all of this but these TWO WILL NOT CONNECT!

PLEASE - Does someone have the answers, I am burned out!

Thanks
--
PCNS Support Team

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Jan 28, 2007, 8:01:46 PM1/28/07
In news:CD00FAF4-AB26-42E3...@microsoft.com,
PCNS <PC...@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I am setting up a customers network to a SBS 2003. We have 27
> workstations. I have successfully migrated 25 of them over to SBS
> 2003 using the web client http://servername/connectcomputer.
>
> I have two workstations the will not install the SBS Networking
> Wizard. I have been on the Internet for 9 hours reading and doing
> what they say along with what I have found here posted on your site,

Really? I'm pretty sure I never gave you my domain name....how much had I
had to drink?

> NOTHING WORKS! I even went as far as installing Netscape on one
> machine and set to IE and still the same problem.

Well, Netscape won't do it, as far as I know - many Windows require IE. This
is one of them.

> All the machines have the same patches, but some were running IE6 and
> IE7. The two machines that WILL NOT CONNECT on was on IE6 and the
> other on IE7. I have gone and patched the SBS 2003 with all the
> latest patches along with both workstations.
>
> It makes no difference if the workstations have static IP or the SBS
> DHCP server gives them IP address. I have flushed the DNS on these two
> workstations along with on the SBS server. I was even able to add an
> additional workstation after all of this but these TWO WILL NOT
> CONNECT!
>
> PLEASE - Does someone have the answers, I am burned out!
>
> Thanks

I understand that you're frustrated, but it might help if you posted the
error messages you're getting....

Also, before anything else, make sure these clients do *not* have any public
IP addresses in their ipconfig for DNS - *only* your internal/AD-integrated
DNS server's LAN IP (i.e., that of your SBS box).

PCNS

Jan 28, 2007, 8:54:01 PM1/28/07
Here is the error message I keep getting ;

"The Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed. You may not
be a member of the local Administrators security group on this computer or
your Local Intranet security settings may be set to High. Click Connect to
the network now to try again and click Yes when prompted. If the wizard fails
to install, contact the person responsible for your network."

There is NO EXTERNAL IP address setup on these two machines. These two,
along with the other 25, ALL get their IP address from the INTERNAL SBS 2003.
I have even gone as far as using static IP address to make sure, same error
message as stated above. I have even started these machines is SAFE MODE and
disabled every non-essential thing, still get the same error message above.

--
PCNS Support Team

M. Hayes

Jan 28, 2007, 10:48:00 PM1/28/07
Without talking to you directly it's still a little hard to figure out whats
going on. So I'll take you throught the obvious.

On the clients: Delete the _sbs_netsetup_ account. Make sure you're log in
on the client e/admin priv. Reboot. Then, USE IE. On the account info to join
USE your SBS Admin Account. Let me know if this works.

PCNS

Jan 28, 2007, 11:34:00 PM1/28/07
"M.Hayes" -

Thanks for responding. See the problem is I am not getting the flipping
ActivX garbage to install on either of these two machines. There is NO
"_sbs_netsetup_ account" because the "Small Business Server Networking
Wizard was not installed". You NEVER get to the point of loggin onto the SBS
server due to the freaking "Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not
installed".

Here is my internal IP settings on one of the machines ;

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : 300-WPA

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : wpa.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : wpa.local

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network
Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-9F-0E-F5

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.89

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 28, 2007 4:38:19
PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 05, 2007
4:38:19 PM

As you can see, all the local machines on this network point to the SBS
server for IP addresses.

The problem is getting the freaking "The Small Business Server Networking
Wizard" to get installed into freaking IE.

This is getting freaking ridiculous because everyone keeps saying to check
your IP settings. There is nothing wrong with the IP settings or 25 of 27
workstations would not have joined the SBS 2003 domain. It is these two
freaking workstations that Internet Explorer will not allow the "The Small
Business Server Networking Wizard" to get installed with. It is like the
script will not run.

And YES, I went into IE and set all the security to the lowest, I even
turned on everything that would allow AcitvX and scripts to run, turned of
Windows Firewall, disabled McAfee antivirus, still the freaking and all I get
in IE is "The Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed. You

may not be a member of the local Administrators security group on this
computer or your Local Intranet security settings may be set to High. Click
Connect to the network now to try again and click Yes when prompted. If the
wizard fails to install, contact the person responsible for your network."

ALL of the user accounts belong to the ADMINISTRATORS group. I have even
logged on AS administrator, and I get the following in IE again "The Small

Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed. You may not be a member
of the local Administrators security group on this computer or your Local
Intranet security settings may be set to High. Click Connect to the network
now to try again and click Yes when prompted. If the wizard fails to install,
contact the person responsible for your network".

I am ready to blow these machines away.

Does someone have any advise....or a gun.

--
PCNS Support Team

BarryT

Feb 9, 2007, 8:27:01 AM2/9/07

Have you resolved this problem? I'm having exactly the same problem on 2
computers. I notice you mention McAfee, we have McAfee on these two computers
but not on others which work OK.

I have even removed it from one, but that made no difference, however I
guess it may have something embedded which was not removed.

Barry.

PCNS

Feb 9, 2007, 11:01:00 AM2/9/07
BarryT -

Wanted to thank you for reading the forum. As of this date 2-9-2007,
Microsoft has failed to come up with ANY answer except the usual garbage
about checking you IP settings. I was forced on the one machine, like Tim
Sullivan here in this forum, to wipe the machine completely out and reinstall
Windows XP, then the Small Business Server Networking Wizard worked just
fine. I still have one 4 month old Dell that is having the same problem that
as a last resort, I want to wipe out the machine and perform a restore. I
created a new posting "The SBS 2003 Network Configuration Wizard InOp" in
this same forum to see if anyone else would have the answer and as of today,
2-9-2007, Microsoft has failed to resolve the solution. I turned of
everything in the background on the two machines that the Small Business
Server Networking Wizard would not run on and nothing helped. It is something
in the OS that is hosed. My concern is if on that Dell, I wipe it out and
perform a restore using the Dell restore image, what if the image has the
same problem, then I have a machine that I wiped out, still can not run the
Small Business Server Networking Wizard successfully and then what?

--
PCNS Support Team

Bob Genestet

Feb 9, 2007, 11:19:24 AM2/9/07
Have guys tried adding the server name as a trusted site in IE and then
using the server name in accessing the "connect Computer" wizard?. Also
running "repair" on the PC's network interface sometimes helps.

Bob

"PCNS" <PC...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PCNS

Feb 9, 2007, 12:21:00 PM2/9/07
Bob Genestet -

Wanted to thank you for your reply. As to all the questions you asked, the
answer is YES, the server name, along with the domain name were added to IE's
trusted sites. I even set IS's security to the LOWEST settings. I also ran
the "repair" on the nework card, setup static IP addresses, ran the TCPIP
WINSOCK fix, all these things were done on both of these machines, nothing
fixed the problem. Finally on the one machine, the delpart of the hard drive
and then I re-imaged it with the image I made for that machine, and then it
worked. The Dell, like I stated, I really do not want to wipe out, just in
case Dell's image has the same problem.

I still keep going back to the fact that this IS a problem with SBS 2003 and
Microsoft IS NOT addressing the problem.
--
PCNS Support Team

Bob Genestet

Feb 9, 2007, 12:55:50 PM2/9/07
Make sure there is no third party security software interfering such as an
IE browser helper toolbar with some sort of security features enabled. Have
you tried completely removing any antivirus or antispyware and disabling the
XP firewall? Do you get the security warning in IE that a program is wanting
to install when you run the "Connect Computer" wizard? Have you remove the
computer from the domain and tried to add it back after removing and adding
the computer account from the server, this resets the SID. Have you tried
setting the PC's NIC both ways, DHCP or Static or even reinstalling the NIC?

Bob

"PCNS" <PC...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PCNS

Feb 9, 2007, 1:50:03 PM2/9/07
Bob Genestet -

Thank you again for the ideas. I have disabled EVERYTHING that was loading
in the background, including the McAfee antivirus services. So I know that
there is no third party software issue. There are no third party security
software installed into IE like Yahoo or Google. Yes, I disabled the
Microsoft firewall, this did not fix it either. When you run
"http://servername/connectcomputer", you got the warning about installing the
ActiveX control, once that was installed, then you get the message "Small
Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed". The computer was NEVER
a member of a domain, ONLY a WORKGROUP. Yes, I did try resetting the
computers "computer object" in SBS 2003. I even deleted the "computer object"
in SBS 2003 and recreated it, still get the same error "Small Business Server
Networking Wizard was not installed". Yes, I even updated the NIC's driver,
still did not resolve the problem.

Bob Genestet

Feb 9, 2007, 8:14:54 PM2/9/07
Have you tried to run sfc /scannow to make sure all the system files are
intact?

Bob

"PCNS" <PC...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PCNS

Feb 9, 2007, 11:30:00 PM2/9/07
Bob Genestet -

Thank you for something else to try. No, I have not tried the "sfc
/scannow", I will give that a try. I did patch the workstation with ALL the
OS updates along with hardware and application updates that were available
from the Windows Update site and that did not fix the "Small Business Server
Networking Wizard was not installed" error. I will try the "sfc /scannow" and
let you know. Please allow me about a week to respond. I will be working on
another site for the week of February 12-16th, 2007 and probably will not get
back over to the clients location with the SBS 2003 problem till February
20th. As soon as I can get over there, I will give the "scf" a try and will
post you the results. Thanks again.

PCNS

Feb 22, 2007, 10:33:13 AM2/22/07
Bob Genestet -

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I did try the solution
"sfc /scannow". I ran it twice. It did not resolve anything. I still have the

same error "Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed".

I really need an answer. If this can not be resolved, then I am force to
wipe out the machine and hope that the Dell restore image does not have the
same problem.

Again, I see that there are dozens of us having the same problem, yet there
seems to be NO answer, I really need an answer.

Thanks again.

Jim Behning SBS MVP

Feb 22, 2007, 6:51:09 PM2/22/07
I have seen this failure. I have deleted temp internet files. I
deleted cookies. I tried again and it worked. Uninstall McAfee might
be an idea. Sometimes disable is not as effective as you might think.

PCNS

Feb 22, 2007, 7:21:08 PM2/22/07
Jim Behning -

Want to thank you for the reply. I did do through and deleted all Internet
Temp files and cookies. The Network Connection Wizard still failed.

On the McAfee, I went through and stopped all services and startups of
McAfee and the Network Connection Wizard still failed. I have not gone as far
as uninstalling it, but I will give it a try. It will probably be next week
before I post the result. I do want to mention that all 27 workstations are
running the same exact enterprise version of McAfee though. I know that,
being software, that McAfee might have done something on just those two
workstations. I will uninstall it and try it again though and will let you
know.

Thanks again.
--
PCNS Support Team

PCNS

Apr 11, 2007, 5:34:01 PM4/11/07
Jim Behning -

I wanted to apologize to you, I put my posting in the wrong post site. Here
is what I posted back on 3-19-2007 ;

I apologize for the delay in posting my results. AS you asked, I did remove
the McAfee antivirus. I then tried the Network Configuration Wizard again,
and STILL HAVE SAME ERROR. You type in http://servername/connectcomptuer, you
get the "Connect to the network now" link. Click on that link and you get the
Internet Explorer Security Warning about installing the Microsoft Networking
Wizard, I click "OK" to install the wizard, then I get the same old error "

The Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed. You may not be
a member of the local Administrators security group on this computer or your
Local Intranet security settings may be set to High"

Once again, the user IS a member of the Administrators group on that
machine. I even did this logged on AS administrator. The IE7 Intranet
security settings have been set to as low as possible, same results. Set them
back to default, same results. I have even checked what services are running
on this computer as compaired to one that the Networking Wizard did run on,
all the same services are running.

Once again, without an answer from Microsoft on this issue, I am faced with
wiping out this machine and hoping that the Dell restore image does not have
the same freaking problem. No one has an answer.

I am going to go this Friday and try a "Repair" of Windows XP to see if that
will fix the problem. If it does not, then I am looking at wiping out the
drive and hoping that the Dell image restore does not have the problem
already imbedded in IE.

The problem is something with IE and I have in the past, uninstalled IE and
reinstalled IE, that did not work either.

I would hope that there was an answer to this problem, but the answer seems
to be hose the machine and start over, which is no answer at all.

Thanks again everyone who has contributed to this problem.

--
PCNS Support Team

gman

Jun 12, 2007, 8:15:01 PM6/12/07
I am hoping someone in here can help me with my issue. I have a fully
operation SBS2003r2 as a primary box, i needto add a 2003r2 server onto the
sbs box but like other people i cannot run the
http://servername/connectcomputer without fail. I am about to upgrade my
company from an old 2000 server that has an additional 2003r2 as a secondary
box(all within the same domain), to a primary sbs2003r2 box and leave the
2003r2. I understand that i need to dcpromo the box but if i cant connect a
2003r2 to a sbs2003r2 priemuim without problem i can only imagine the
problems that will arise when dcpromo out the 2000 main dc. According to the
white papers when connecting an additional box to a sbs2003r2 you just need
to run the connection wizard but it never completes. I cant even get the
sbs_netsetup user onto the account never mind install it correctly. Anyone
have any ides before i tackle my companies computers?

PCNS

Jun 13, 2007, 11:33:00 AM6/13/07
GMAN -

This is what I finally had to do to get the workstation to run the "SBS 2003
Connection Wizard" on that workstation (without having to wipe the whole
thing out and perform a clean installation like I did on the one computer).
What I did on that 4 month old Dell workstation that was full of the
end-user's applications to get the "SBS 2003 Connection Wizard" to finally
function was "performed a REPAIR of Windows XP Professional". I ran the
"repair" of the OS option and then the "SBS 2003 Connection Wizard" worked
without a hitch. Did not have to wipe the end user's machine out. Did not
lose any of the user's data or settings. What I feel is the problem is that
Internet Explorer gets corrupt. You can uninstall it and reinstall it, I have
done this, and it does not work. What worked is either 1 - Wipe out the
machine and perform a clean installation, of 2 - Perform a "Repair" of the
OS. The repair option, I found no where as a possible solution, but when you
are faced with over 6 hours of reinstallation of the users applications and
data, you will try anything and the "repair" was the last option before
having to wipe out the machine, and the "repair" worked.

Hope that this helps you.

PCNS
--
PCNS Support Team