RE: Exchange System Manager error opening public folders.

Keven

Nov 24, 2005, 5:35:02 PM11/24/05
Actually repaired it it seems.. I dismounted and remounted the public store
and all was well. Not sure why but what the heck, I'll take what I can get.
;)

"Keven" wrote:

> Ever since I made changes to the domains on the server as per earlier comment
> I can not administer public folders. The error that I get when trying to
> open public folders on Exchange System Manager is as follows:
>
> The HTTP service used by Public Folders is not available, possible casuses
> are that Public stores are not mounted and the Information Store service is
> not running.
> ID no: c1030af3
> Exchange System Manager
>

> Any clues on what to do to get public folders back up?

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Nov 24, 2005, 10:31:53 PM11/24/05
Hello Keven,

Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup.

As you mentioned, the things are working correctly for you now. Here, I'm
glad to provide the following information for your reference:

Based on my knowledge and research, the error c1030af3 happens due to
several causes.

Step 1: The issue may happen when improper authentication method set in IIS
for the Public and Exadmin virtual directory.

1. In Exchange System Manager, expand Administrative Group, expand the
Exchange Server which hosts public folder.
2. Expand Protocols, expand HTTP, right click Public container, click
Properties.
3. In Access tab, click Authentication button.
4. Ensure that a proper authentication method is selected for the HTTP
Public Virtual Directory in the ESM.

If none is listed, then you will receive the above error. If the correct
authentication method shows up in ESM, continue verifying the
authentication type in IIS.

1. Open the Internet Service Manager, expand Web Sites and Default Web Site.
2. Right click Public Virtual Directory, click Properties.
3. In Directory Security tab, click Edit button under Authentication and
access control box.
4. Verify the same authentication method is listed for the Public Virtual
Directory.
5. Also check the Exadmin Virtual Directory for the same authentication
method.

If you make any change on Authentication type, restart IIS Admin service
(services.msc) to make the change effectively.

Step 2: The issue may happen when the permissions of Public Folder in
Active Directory are set incorrectly.

1. In Exchange System Manager, expand Administrative Group, expand the
Folders container.
2. Right click Public Folders container, click Properties.
3. In Security tab, ensure no specific denies are set for any user group.

Step 3: The issue may happen when realtime virus software is scanning the
following folders.

1. Exchange databases (default location: Exchsrvr\Mdbdata)
2. Exchange MTA files (default location: Exchsrvr\Mtadata)
3. Exchange temporary files: Tmp.edb
4. Additional log files (default location: Exchsrvr\server_name .log)
5. Virtual server folder (default location: Exchsrvr\Mailroot)
6. Site Replication Service (SRS) files (default location:
Exchsrvr\Srsdata)
7. Internet Information Service (IIS) system files (
:\Winnt\System32\Inetsrv)
8. Working folder for message conversion .tmp files. (default location:
Exchsrvr\Mdbdata)

Please ensure those folders are not scanned by Antivirus application.

Step 4: The issue may happen when the msExchDS2MBOptions for the exadmin
virtual directory is set incorrectly.

Use ADSIEDIT and look for the attribute:

-Configuration,
-cn=configuration
-cn=Services
-cn=Microsoft Exchange
-cn=Your Org
-cn=Administrative Groups
-cn=Your admin group
-cn=Servers
-cn=Your server
-cn=Protocols
-cn=HTTP
-cn=1
-cn=Exadmin

Right click cn=Exadmin, click Properties, make sure the value of
msExchDS2MBOptions attribute is 66.

Best regards,

Nathan Liu (MSFT)
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support