Cannot reply/forward in OWA - Page cannot be displayed

K.J. 44

Sep 18, 2006, 12:33:59 PM9/18/06

I can log in to OWA fine and my users can get their emails and send new
emails, but any actions on an existing message gets a page cannot be
displayed (reply, forward).

Any idea what could have caused this?

Thanks.

chace zhang

Sep 18, 2006, 11:50:16 PM9/18/06

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand all the pictures in the OWA
page are not displayed. If I am off-base on that, please let me know.
Before we go any further, I would like know if the issue only occurs on a
specified Internet client or occurs on every remote client computers?

Under some situations, router/proxy server may filter the pictures on the
IE window, so please try to access the OWA from an internal client computer
or access OWA on SBS box to see how everything is going.

Based on the screen shot file you included, I suppose that it is caused by
the fact that you cleared the option to show pictures on IE. So please open
IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options menu, go to Advanced tab, move down the
stroll bar to Multimedia, select the checkbox of Show Pictures. Click OK to
exist. Try again to see if there is an update.

If the issue still exists after you checked the IE settings, please check
the permissions on the following folders, make sure the Authenticated Users
group has read and execute permissions:
WinNT\system32\
WinNT\System32\inetsrv\
Exchsrvr\bin\
Exchsrvr\RES\
Exchsrvr\webdata\

For more information, look into the following link:
187506 INFO: Basic NTFS Permissions for IIS 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=187506

Does this issue only occur on the OWA page, browsing other web page with no
problem, I suggest you do the following:

1. Open Active Directory Users and computers.
2. Go to Users container, right click the ISUR_[Server Name], select Reset
Password. Do not input any password and just click OK button to reset it to
blank password.
3. Open the IIS manager, right click the Default Web site, select
Properties, go to Directory Security tab, click Edit button in
Authentication and Access Control section, in the "Enable anonymous access"
part, clear the password and click OK.
4. Repeat the step 3 on Exchweb virtual directory.

Then check it again to see if the issue is resolved.

If the issue still exists, please refer to:
1. Check if OfficeScan is installed on the SBS server. This may also be
caused by OfficeScan adding a custom MIME type to the Default Web Site and
all virtual directories. The MIME type added is for ".*" and defines it as
Octet/Stream. You may want to remove this custom MIME type to resolve the
issue:

A. Open the Default Web Site properties page, go to the HTTP Headers tab.
B. Click the "MIME Types" button. Remove the ".*" entry. The same should be
done on all the virtual directories, but the OfficeScan one.
C. After that, run iisreset again.

If this doesn't help, I suggest that you uninstall OfficeScan and reinstall
it on a new virtual site, instead of installing it on the Default Web Site.
For more information, see Solution 18148 in the Trend Micro Knowledge Base
at the following URL:

Outlook Web Access displays a "loading..." message after
Client/Server/Messaging (CSM) Suite 2.0 for SMB was installed on Windows
2003 Small Business Server.
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=18148

842470 The contents of your Inbox and your Calendar are not displayed when
you use Outlook Web Access to access your mailbox, and your mailbox is
stored on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=842470

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web
site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use
of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from the Internet.
2. If you have URLSCAN installed on the SBS server, please check out the
following Knowledge Base articles and ensure it is using the proper OWA
template:

823175 Fine-tuning and known issues when you use the Urlscan utility in an
Exchange 2003 environment
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823175

325965 The URLScan tool may cause problems in Outlook Web Access
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325965

If the issue still exists, please try the following steps:

1. Download and apply the 831464 update:
831464 FIX: IIS 6.0 Compression Corruption Causes Access Violations
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831464

2. Clear the cached, compressed copy of the affected files on the SBS
server:

A. Clear the IIS server files:
*. Go to your %windows%\IIS Temporary Compressed Files directory *. Select
all of the content in this directory and delete it.
B. Go to a command prompt, type "iisreset".

3. If you have ISA installed on the SBS server, take the following steps to
clear the ISA cache.

A. Stop the Web Proxy service.
B. Locate the Urlcache folder.
C. From the multiple files in this folder, locate the *.cdat file in this
folder.
D. Delete the *.cdat file.
E. Start the Web Proxy service.

Related Knowledge Base article:
301471 How to Delete the Web Cache on Internet Security and Acceleration
Server http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301471

4. You should also delete the cached files on the client to make sure that
the corrupted files from the cache are not used. To do so, follow these
steps:

A. In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu .
B. Click the General tab, and then click Delete Files.
C. Click OK.

NOTE: It's important to ensure that no OWA connection is active or
attempted between the time you start clearing the cache files, and the time
you are finished clearing them (from all locations).

Hope this helps, if you have any other concerns or need more help, please
feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Chace Zhang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: "K.J. 44" <Hollera...@gmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Subject: Cannot reply/forward in OWA - Page cannot be displayed
| Date: 18 Sep 2006 09:33:59 -0700

K.J. 44

Sep 19, 2006, 10:43:44 AM9/19/06
Thank you very much for your respone. I tried many of your suggestions
to no avail. In fact, now when I open OWA, none of the unread messages
can be accessed.

I can log in and read all the read mail messages. I can click on the
new message button and send a message. If I open a message and click
on the reply button, it gives me a page cannot be displayed, as if the
link for the reply button doesn't exist.

Thanks.

K.J. 44

Sep 19, 2006, 10:49:41 AM9/19/06
Here is the actual link of a reply that is not working (getting page
cannot be displayed);

https://mail.ourdomain.com/exchange/kevin/Drafts/RE:%20Contact%20Your%20Fiduciary%20Agent-4.EML?Cmd=reply&Create=0

please help! I can't figure this out...

K.J. 44

Sep 19, 2006, 12:39:33 PM9/19/06
Futhermore, when I use regular outlook, the replies are showing up in
the drafts folder.

Thanks.

chace zhang

Sep 20, 2006, 3:48:30 AM9/20/06

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: When replying mail in
OWA, you encountered error message. If I'm off base, please feel free to
let me know.

In order to provide you with efficient support, and to relieve you of the
burden of trying unnecessary troubleshooting steps, please assist me in
collecting some detailed information:

1. Does the issue happen to specific user or all internal users? For
further test, please create a new mail-enabled user in Active Directory
Users and Computers (ADUC), and then access this new mailbox by specific
workstation with the issue, verify whether the issue persists to this new
user.
If the issue disappears here, the issue may be caused by the corrupt
attribute of specific user account.

2. Does the issue happen to specific workstation or all workstations? For
further test, in Exchange Server itself, please access this specific
mailbox with the issue by OWA, and then verify whether the issue occurs
then. If the issue disappears, we can consider the issue may happen
depending on setting of specific workstation.

3. Does the issue happen during internal accessing or external accessing?
This will help us identify whether the issue happens due to Firewall
setting between internal LAN and Internet.

4. If the issue happens to all users and all workstations, please create a
new test account and let me know the following information.

- Credential of this test account
- The public URL to OWA access your Exchange Server
- Domain name

I will access the mailbox by OWA in my side to verify the issue. To keep
these confidential, please let me know by mail: v-ch...@microsoft.com

5. Please capture a screen shot of the error you encountered when replying
mail in OWA and send it to me: v-ch...@microsoft.com.

Please let me know the results so that I can provide further assistance on
this problem. I am looking forward to your reply. Thanks and have a nice
day!

| Subject: Re: Cannot reply/forward in OWA - Page cannot be displayed
| Date: 19 Sep 2006 09:39:33 -0700

K.J. 44

Sep 20, 2006, 10:27:52 AM9/20/06
Chac Zhang,

Thanks for your support. I figured out that somehow (probably my bad
poking around at something else ?) the default domain in the /Exchange
virtual directory was / instead of mydomain.com. With this added in,
all is well.

Thanks!

chace zhang

Sep 21, 2006, 5:34:10 AM9/21/06

Thank you for your reply and the detailed additional feedback on how you
were successful in resolving this issue. Your solution will benefit many
other users, and we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

If you have any other technical questions in the future, please do not
hesitate to contact us by posting in our newsgroups. It is always our
pleasure to be of assistance.