Process (Inetinfo.exe) Alert

Bryan Hughes

Aug 10, 2005, 3:26:04 PM8/10/05
Hello,

I am running SBS 2003 + SP1.

Everything is working fine, but I keep receiving the following alert.
"The inetinfo.exe process is allocating more memory than usual. The
following services are hosted by this process: IISAdmin, POP3SVC, RESVC, and
SMTPSVC."

I check the error logs but there are no events that go with this.

I am running 3GB of RAM, with plenty of virtual space allocated.

What is going on and how can I fix it?

-TFTH
Bryan

Crina Li (MSFT)

Aug 10, 2005, 11:39:44 PM8/10/05
Hi Bryan,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

From the description, I understand that you received memory allocation
alert of the inetinfo.exe process from the SBS 2003 server. If I have
misunderstood your concern, please do let me know.

the inetinfo.exe is the process of IIS components. The Web sites, SMTP
service and the IIS related services are hosted by the process. In most
cases, if you do not encounter real problem (for example, the web site
access issue, mail delivery issue, server crash etc) and you can confirm
that everything is working as expected, and there are no problems/errors
with the system, then you can actually check the average count and change
it to match that system. You may safely ignore this alert.

For the SBS 2003 server, there are some predefined performance thresholds.
The thresholds are defined according to the common server configurations
for the small business environment (for example, P4 CPU, 512MB memory). If
the memory usage of the process reaches the predefined threshold, the
administrator will receive the alert messages. If you have a server box
with large RAM space (1G or above), the inetinfo.exe could use more memory
than the predefined threshold value. The default threshold value is
104857600. If the average memory usage value of the inetinfo.exe process is
greater than the predefined threshold, the alert would be triggered.

A number of things run under IIS, and with the addition of spam filters,
exchange/SMTP antivirus, and other software that may run under IIS, it
could grow in size beyond what was consider normal at one point in time.

We may try the following and help me collect some information:

1. Please make sure that you have already applied the integration patch for
Exchange 2003 SP1. Otherwise, you could receive memory alert of store.exe
process:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0FE89C95-E767-428C-
8621-6A586C655EE3&displaylang=en

2. You can do it from the Monitoring and Reporting snap-in in Server
Management, under Change Alert Notifications, then select Performance
Counters, and then check the counter average for Inetinfo.exe private
bytes. You can then Edit that entry and replace the default threshold with
the average for that system (plus some padding).
3. You can also make this change from the Health Monitor snap-in for that
Open the Health_Monitor.msc from
\windows\system32\wbem\healthmonitor\00000409, once that is open, expand
Small Business Server Alerts, Core Server Alerts and select Process
(Inetinfo.exe), on the right panel select the statistics tab, take a look
at the average, check it again during normal business operations, if that
number remains within the same approximate ranges, then it looks like that
should become your new baseline, to change the threshold, select the
Thresholds tab, double-click on Inetinfo.exe private bytes, and change the
condition.
4. If necessary, we can get the performance log to have a detailed of the
memory usage trend. Take the following steps to create a performance log:

1) Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Performance.
2) After the Performance tool starts, performance logs and alerts should be
displayed in the left pane.
3) Double-click Performance Logs and Alerts.
4) Click Counter Logs, and then right-click in the right-hand pane.
5) Click New Log Settings, type a name for the log, and then click OK.
6) You can now edit the properties of the new log.
7) Add the Private Bytes counter for the inetinfo process by clicking Add.

5. Is there any other impact to the System, such as performance drop-down?
6. Did you install any third-party anti-virus or anti-spam software on the
SBS 2003 server?
7. Is there any problem for you to access the SBS built-in web sites? Can
you deliver/receive the internet e-mails without problem?
8. What's the physical memory size of this server?
9. Is there a public web site hosted by the SBS 2003 server?

The following KB articles are for your reference:

823440 You Must Use the /3GB Switch When You Install Exchange Server 2003
on a
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823440

822180 Exchange Server 2003 and Virtual Memory Fragmentation
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822180

Hope the information help. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: "Bryan Hughes" <bthishughi...@brigidemailcollins.org>
| Subject: Process (Inetinfo.exe) Alert
| Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:26:04 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Bryan Hughes

Aug 11, 2005, 2:07:47 PM8/11/05
Crina,

Thank you for your reply

> 1. Please make sure that you have already applied the integration patch
> for
> Exchange 2003 SP1. Otherwise, you could receive memory alert of store.exe
> process:

I already applied Exchange 2003 Sp1 with SBS 2003 sp1 cd.

> 6. Did you install any third-party anti-virus or anti-spam software on the
> SBS 2003 server?

Yes I have F-Prot 16c AV and Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
4.6 installed.

> 8. What's the physical memory size of this server?

3 GB

> 9. Is there a public web site hosted by the SBS 2003 server?

No

> 823440 You Must Use the /3GB Switch When You Install Exchange Server 2003
> on a
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823440

This is posted in 823440 Article
Note You do not have to use the /3GB switch on Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server 2003-based computers. We do not recommend that you use the
/3GB switch parameter in the Boot.ini file for Exchange Server computers
that are also Active Directory domain controllers or global catalog servers.
Are you telling me to ignore this?

I defrag Exchange Monthly and virtual memory on a weekly basis (I use
perfect Disk 7.0 for Windows servers and Exchange Servers).

I will try the other suggestions and get back to you.

-TFTH
Bryan

Crina Li (MSFT)

Aug 12, 2005, 6:17:38 AM8/12/05
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply.

The KB article is only for your reference. If everything is working as
expected, and there are no problems/errors with the system, you may safely
ignore this alert. You can disable this alert or change its threshold by
using the Change Alert Notifications task in the Server Management
Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)