Error Reinstalling Exchange 2003 on Small Business Server 2003

Nick

Aug 16, 2007, 10:32:23 AM8/16/07
Hello all,

I'm currently doing some consulting work for a small real estate firm, and
as part of that they've asked me to help migrate their email over to an
Exchange system and installing a BES server. The server was configured about
2 years ago by a different company, and after I had setup the accounts for
everyone I was having issues with Public Folders and the Offline Address
List and thus decided to reinstall. I started by uninstalling Exchange and
everything seemed to be fine. I then started up the Add/Remove components
wizard again and set it up to reinstall Exchange, popped in the CD, etc...
However, about halfway through the install I got an error about the IIS
Store not registering correctly, and was prompted with the "Cancel",
"Retry". Retrying results in the same error, but after a cancel it proceeds
and finishes the install with the same error message at the end. I
attributed this to a fluke and uninstalled again, and then reinstalled and
was prompted with the same error. I read through a few KB articles at this
point and thought perhaps it had to do with IIS , and used this article
325889. To try and resolve the issue. This still did not solve the problem
and now when uninstalling I get the error

Code:

"Setup failed while
installing
sub-component Exchange ActiveSync with error code 0X80072030 (please consult
the installation log for detailed description). You may cancel the
installation or try the failed step again." I have to cancel, retry does no
good.

and something identical for OMA. I'm at a loss as for what to do, and would
really prefer to avoid a reinstall as I would have to setup numerous
AntiVirus, Backup, and Database utilities. I have error logs available if
they're needed.

Thank you for your time in advance

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 16, 2007, 11:20:41 AM8/16/07
You might want to take a look at this thread...

Reinstall Exchange on SBS 2003 SP1
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/browse_thread/thread/21b1705d81d37e1f/d1fa451860752996?lnk=st&q=sbs+2003+%22reinstall%22+exchange&rnum=1&hl=en#d1fa451860752996

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Nick" <nick.b...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nick.B...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2007, 2:56:59 PM8/16/07
On Aug 16, 11:20 am, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"

<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
> You might want to take a look at this thread...
>
> Reinstall Exchange on SBS 2003 SP1http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/br...

> --
> Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "Nick" <nick.barnw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I have in fact tried reinstalling using the /DisasterRecovery and /
Reinstall switches. Disaster Recovery seems to work, but I'm unable to
get the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service to start, and
Reinstall gives the same error about halfway through. I've tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS to no avail, but that did nothing to
help the problem.

Nick.B...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2007, 3:29:38 PM8/16/07

I can see how the CEICW would setup the OMA and ActiveSync
directories, but do you think that would fix the errors I'm having
with not being able to start the Information Store service?

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 16, 2007, 3:46:01 PM8/16/07
Was your original configure SBS 2003 SP1 or just SBS 2003 (RTM)?
And the SBS CDs that you are have - are they RTM or SP1?

And I'm wondering if the ActiveSync error is because the ClientApps folder
was moved from it's orginal location (probably c:\ClientApps).

If the following registry key doesn't natch the accutal location of the
CLientApss folder, maybe correct it and try the Exchange install again.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\clientsetup]
"ClientAppsRoot"="C:\ClientApps"

And because Exchnage and IIS are on the same computer:

How to remove and to reinstall IIS on a computer that is running Exchange
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3B[LN]%3BQ320202

Along with:

Reinstall Exchange on SBS 2003 SP1

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/browse_thread/thread/21b1705d81d37e1f/d1fa451860752996?lnk=st&q=sbs+2003+%22reinstall%22+exchange&rnum=1&hl=en#d1fa451860752996

You may even need to reinstall SBS 2003 SP1 (not sure about this)

How to install Service Pack 1 for SBS 2003
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=266&articleType=ArticleView&articleId=68

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

<Nick.B...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 16, 2007, 3:47:44 PM8/16/07
No, I'm wondering if it has to do with which SP level Exchange was
originally at (no SP, SP1, SP2), or a problem with IIS.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

<Nick.B...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nick B.

Aug 16, 2007, 4:10:45 PM8/16/07
On Aug 16, 3:47 pm, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"

<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
> No, I'm wondering if it has to do with which SP level Exchange was
> originally at (no SP, SP1, SP2), or a problem with IIS.
>
> --
> Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> <Nick.Barnw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I believe the SBS CD's were the RTM, but the configuration I was
working from was updated to SP1 for the main SBS components. Unless
the Exchange SP1 update was included, than Exchange was working from a
no SP standpoint. I highly doubt that the ClClientApps folder was
ever moved, as Exchange hadn't even been touched before this moment.

Nick B.

Aug 17, 2007, 10:24:47 AM8/17/07
> ever moved, as Exchange hadn't even been touched before this moment.- Hide quoted text -

I tried reinstalling both SP1 for Exchange and SBS, and neither has
fixed the problems I'm having. I also tried runnng the CEICW wizard
after each install, but that failed to complete, just gives me an
error when it comes to configuring the Email settings.

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 17, 2007, 10:32:18 AM8/17/07
And what is the exact text of the error?

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Nick B." <Nick.B...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nick B.

Aug 17, 2007, 11:19:52 AM8/17/07
On Aug 17, 10:32 am, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"

<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
> And what is the exact text of the error?
>
> --
> Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "Nick B." <Nick.Barnw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > error when it comes to configuring the Email settings.- Hide quoted text -

Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store
service. - Error 0xc0040391. and Error 0xc0040391 calling
StrInitialize in REAPI.DLL.
show up in the Event Viewer when trying to start the Exchange IS
service. IF you're reffering to the Connection Wizard, it just says

"An error occurred while configuring a component.
To continue with the wizard and configure remaining components, click
OK.
To end the wizard without configuring the remaining components, click
Cancel."

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 17, 2007, 11:37:13 AM8/17/07
Mybe try reapplying Exchange SP1.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Nick B." <Nick.B...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nick B.

Aug 17, 2007, 11:43:18 AM8/17/07
On Aug 17, 11:37 am, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"

<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mybe try reapplying Exchange SP1.
>
> --
> Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> > Cancel."- Hide quoted text -

I've tried that twice, I still get the same issue where I cannot start
the Information Store service

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 17, 2007, 11:31:05 AM8/17/07
What happens if you turn off your virus scanning on the server and reboot
(with AV off)?

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

Nick B.

Aug 17, 2007, 12:09:52 PM8/17/07
On Aug 17, 11:31 am, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"

<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
> What happens if you turn off your virus scanning on the server and reboot
> (with AV off)?
>
> --
> Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> > Cancel."- Hide quoted text -

When run in safe mode or with the antivirus software off I'm still
faced with the same errors and inability to start the MSExchange
Information Store Service

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 17, 2007, 1:16:59 PM8/17/07
I'll keep thinking, but I'm running out of things to try Nick. I hope
someone else can jump in here.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Nick B." <Nick.B...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nick B.

Aug 17, 2007, 1:23:40 PM8/17/07
On Aug 17, 1:16 pm, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"

<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'll keep thinking, but I'm running out of things to try Nick. I hope
> someone else can jump in here.
>
> --
> Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> > the Information Store service- Hide quoted text -

I know how you feel. I've contacted the people who setup the server
and they're at a loss as well. We're not sure if we have a backup of
the server's original configuration, so at this point we may just
reformat and reinstall everything.

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 17, 2007, 1:47:54 PM8/17/07
I'm usually not happy with taking over anyone else's server install. Too
many things are hidden. So, if a reinstall is available, I would think this
would be the best approach. At least you would bring the server into a
known, good baseline state.

Client's generally don't understand this approach because it costs them
money up front. But if you're going to be their systems admin on a regular
basis, it can actually save them money rather than having you spend time
troubleshooting in the dark.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Nick B." <Nick.B...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Nick B.

Aug 17, 2007, 5:07:56 PM8/17/07
On Aug 17, 1:47 pm, "Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]"

<mwport@no_spam_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm usually not happy with taking over anyone else's server install. Too
> many things are hidden. So, if a reinstall is available, I would think this
> would be the best approach. At least you would bring the server into a
> known, good baseline state.
>
> Client's generally don't understand this approach because it costs them
> money up front. But if you're going to be their systems admin on a regular
> basis, it can actually save them money rather than having you spend time
> troubleshooting in the dark.
>
> --
> Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
> ============================"Nick B." <Nick.Barnw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I'm equally hesitant to take over somebody else's install, the server
was reaching a time for a storage and ram upgrade anyways, so I may
wait for the new harddrive to come in so I can back up all the data
and then go ahead and do a complete reinstall and apply all of the
fixes and patches before we move any data over.