SBS 2003 R2 Tape Backup Failure

Steven

May 21, 2007, 8:01:03 AM5/21/07
Hi
We have a SBS 2003 R2 server with a VXA 320 Tape backup drive. For some time
now sbs backup has been failing when backup up to tape, but it works fine
when backing up to network share.

Here is the Backup log.
Thanks in advance.

18/05/2007 10:41 a.m.
-------------------------------
Date: 18/05/2007
Time: 10:41 a.m.
User: serveradmin
-------------------------------

Backup Runner started.
NTMS session started successfully.
EnumerateNtmsObject(NTMS_LIBRARY) succeeded.
Will enumerate on 4 media libraries found.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
Found an enabled library.
InventoryNtmsLibrary(NtmsInventoryOmid) succeeded.
Identify Media completed
EnumerateNtmsObject(NTMS_PHYSICAL_MEDIA) succeeded.
Will enumerate on 0 media types found.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
Found an enabled library.
InventoryNtmsLibrary(NtmsInventoryOmid) succeeded.
EnumerateNtmsObject(NTMS_PHYSICAL_MEDIA) succeeded.
Will enumerate on 1 media types found.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsPhysicalMediaInfo) succeeded.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsMediaTypeInfo) succeeded.
Found a tape media type in the library (Ecrix VXA-1).
Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows
Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup
created on 18/05/2007 at 10:41 a.m." /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j
"Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /p "Ecrix VXA-1" /UM
NTBACKUP LOG FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup01.log
=====================<BEGIN NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: Ecrix VXA-1
Media name: "Media created 18/05/2007 at 10:41 a.m."

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "SBS Backup created on 18/05/2007 at 10:41 a.m."
Media name: "Media created 18/05/2007 at 10:41 a.m."

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 18/05/2007 at 10:48 a.m..

Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Hardware failure.
There may be a hardware or media problem.
Please check the system event log for relevant failures.
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 18/05/2007 at 10:50 a.m..
Directories: 172
Files: 1214
Time: 2 minutes and 4 seconds

Error: C: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

=======================<END NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
NTBackup finished the backup with errors.

For more information about failed backups, see the article on
troubleshooting your backup at the following Web page:

Backup ended at Friday, 18 May 2007 10:50 a.m.
Backup Runner finished.

Andrew

May 21, 2007, 8:10:18 AM5/21/07

"Steven" <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Andrew

May 21, 2007, 8:17:51 AM5/21/07
Steven,

Have been trying to work out the same problem with an IBM for about 3
months.

Here's the link IBM finally provided me (do a google on MIGR 5070490 if the
link doesn't work):
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?brandind=5000008&lndocid=MIGR-5070490

Note- make sure you disable compression. This has not resolved the problem
though. A couple of snipets I have found suggest to try a 160 SCSI card and
not a 320 SCSI card as their may be 'confusion' over the speed to
communicate with the Tape Drive. Haven't got the resources to test this
(plus the client has had administrators appointed).

I have had no problems with backup to a network or USB drive, just the tape
drive. Sometimes when trying the tape it gets past one or 2 drives but
never completes. In my case I have tried both the IBM and Ecrix drivers.
Have downloaded and played with the Tape Tool as well.

Sorry no solutions but hope this may work for you or save you some time.

regards
Andrew

Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}

May 21, 2007, 8:26:49 AM5/21/07
I take it that you have verified that the Tape device and media are not
faulty ?
....Have created test backups and restores to it ?
....tape hasn't got the Write Protect tab enabled ?

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}

Mark McDonald

May 21, 2007, 10:11:20 AM5/21/07
I have had this problem at a few sites. I format the tape [you can the
utility from the exabyte site, its the same one that updates frimware etc]
and my problem went away. I did have to format a couple of tapes by the
way.

This also happened with a HP LTO2 drive, formatted the tape and it went
away. As to why this happens can't help you there.

Good Luck

3ng1n33r

Jul 20, 2007, 9:18:03 AM7/20/07

"Steven" wrote:

Had the same problem, the reason is the firware in the Drive which wont
properly with windows compression or sometimes not even with it disabled.

IBM has released a new firmware that solved problem you can download it from
here.

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?brandind=5000008&lndocid=MIGR-5069872

If you're using version 3206 of the firmware on a windwos system better of
to update to 3209 available at the above link.