Windows SBS 2003 comes up with Error Loading Operating System

smeg

Dec 7, 2008, 5:43:11 PM12/7/08
I am having probelms getting windows up.

I amRunning SBS 2k3, on raid 5, other partitions on raid (dell
utility) boot. With the raid drivers system sees the drive. Booted to
the windows recovery ran chkdsk /r and /p came back with 'The volume
appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems' . I then booted
to Helix rescue cd (v3) and the drive shows up as an Unknow partition
in Gparted. Ran fdsik -l and it returnd a file system id # 7, NTFS.
tried to force mount as NTFS but it errors out with, "dosen't have a
vaild ntfs".
Any ideas on how to repair the file system, or get to the data on the
drive?

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

Dec 7, 2008, 6:03:28 PM12/7/08
Smge, I am afraid I don't, except to call the mfg of the RAID controller,
and to look at this:

http://www.runtime.org/

As an aside to others who read this, this is why I don't advise placing the
system on RAID5. Raid1 is much easier to deal with.

-Larry

"smeg" <line...@gmail.com> wrote in message

smeg

Dec 7, 2008, 9:05:32 PM12/7/08
On Dec 7, 4:03 pm, "Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" <lstruckme...@mis-

wizards.com> wrote:
> Smge, I am afraid I don't, except to call the mfg of the RAID controller,
> and to look at this:
>
> http://www.runtime.org/
>
> As an aside to others who read this, this is why I don't advise placing the
> system on RAID5.  Raid1 is much easier to deal with.
>
> -Larry
>
> "smeg" <linema...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I am having probelms getting windows up.
>
> > I amRunning SBS 2k3, on raid 5, other partitions on raid  (dell
> > utility) boot. With the raid drivers system sees the drive. Booted to
> > the windows recovery ran chkdsk /r and /p came back with 'The volume
> > appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems' . I then booted
> > to Helix rescue cd (v3)  and the drive shows up as an Unknow partition
> > in Gparted. Ran fdsik -l and it returnd a file system id # 7,  NTFS.
> > tried to force mount as NTFS  but it errors out with, "dosen't have a
> > vaild ntfs".
> > Any ideas on how to repair the file system, or get to the data on the
> > drive?- Hide quoted text -

The Dell utilities wich are stirpted across the raid (at least what
Dell tech said) , I can boot in to that (passed all HW test) and that
the in the Perc BIOS show raid as optmal makes me think the raid is
good.

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

Dec 7, 2008, 9:21:08 PM12/7/08
ok, but your error was about the volume, not the controller or any of the
drives. Each of the "partitions" on the RAID5 set is a "volume" and each of
them can have problems of their own. Just because you can start one of them
is no reason to expect the others to start.

afaik, there is no magic bullet. The three sources of recovery that I know
about are: 1. The utilities furnished by the hardware manufacturer; 2. A
third party program similar to the link I gave you; and 3. Restore from
Backup after replacing, repairing the fault.

The link I gave you is the best I know. If you suspect problems with a
corrupted volume created by Windows, MS will try their best. If the problem
is with the controller, MS will (probably) disavow all knowledge.

The link I gave you has a trial version that will give you some indication
of whether or not the info can be recovered. Further, I hope you have a
recent viable backup, as you may very well need it.

__
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so that others may benefit.

"smeg" <line...@gmail.com> wrote in message

smeg

Dec 8, 2008, 2:38:36 PM12/8/08
On Dec 7, 7:21 pm, "Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" <lstruckme...@mis-

wizards.com> wrote:
> ok, but your error was about the volume, not the controller or any of the
> drives.  Each of the "partitions" on the RAID5 set is a "volume" and each of
> them can have problems of their own.  Just because you can start one of them
> is no reason to expect the others to start.
>
> afaik, there is no magic bullet.  The three sources of recovery that I know
> about are:  1.  The utilities furnished by the hardware manufacturer; 2.  A
> third party program similar to the link I gave you; and 3.  Restore from
> Backup after replacing, repairing the fault.
>
> The link I gave you is the best I know.  If you suspect problems with a
> corrupted volume created by Windows, MS will try their best.  If the problem
> is with the controller, MS will (probably) disavow all knowledge.
>
> The link I gave you has a trial version that will give you some indication
> of whether or not the info can be recovered.  Further, I hope you have a
> recent viable backup, as you may very well need it.
>
> __
> Larry
> Please post the resolution to your
> issue so that others may benefit.
>
> good.- Hide quoted text -

Still running the program you sugesed but so far it's finding the
files.Will Let you know but so far so good, Thank
steps i did

imaged unknown raid partition with Helix linux Cd over to a usb drive
then installed that program on to computer
ran it (default promts) on usb attachd storage
Has errros but not shore if its raid, dirve or USB problems

smeg

Dec 14, 2008, 11:47:54 PM12/14/08

> > The Dell utilities wich are stirpted across the raid (at least what
> > Dell tech said) , I can boot in to that  (passed all HW test) and that
> > the in the Perc BIOS show raid as optmal makes me think the raid is
> > good.- Hide quoted text -

> Still running the program you sugesed but so far it's finding the
> files.Will Let you know but so far so good, Thank
> steps i did
>
> imaged unknown raid partition with Helix linux Cd over to a usb drive
> then installed that program on to computer
> ran it (default promts) on usb attachd storage
> Has errros but not shore if its raid, dirve or USB problems

Got data back, used Testdisk

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

Dec 15, 2008, 7:02:44 AM12/15/08
Good! I hate it when everything is lost. Makes for a really bad day.

I added the tool you found to my list.

Well Done!