dhcp errors 1010 1014 1016

Jeff

Jan 24, 2005, 8:29:02 PM1/24/05
I have tried everything I have found to resolve this issue and they still
appear in my system event log. How can I tell if I got all the places in
Norton Antivirus that will affect the dhcp database. I am at my wits end. How
can I narrow this one down. I have tried everything from using jetpack to
totally deleteing and rebuilding the dhcp database.
Please Help..:( any thoughts would be truly appreciated Thanks in andvance
:)

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Jan 25, 2005, 1:21:12 PM1/25/05
Hi Jeff,

Have you tried www.eventid.net?
Have you excluded the DHCP folder from scanning in Norton?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Jeff" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Jeff

Jan 26, 2005, 7:43:02 AM1/26/05
Thanks for the response and Yes I have tried www.eventid.net
They make references to windows nt and 2000 I am running windows 2003
SBS

Is there a way to force the dhcp server to check itself so I can see the
results sooner instaed of later or what ever schedule it checks itself at.
Thanks

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Jan 26, 2005, 9:26:32 AM1/26/05
Hi Jeff,

Have you tried to stop the DHCP server service, delete the contents of the
DHCP folder, than restart it?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Jeff" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Jeff

Feb 4, 2005, 9:15:04 AM2/4/05
Well It worked for a while but now there back. I noticed the the application
log reports an ESENT error 215 tcpsvcs (2612) The backup has been stopped
because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.
user in this case is N/A ?

Does this have anything to do with it?

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Feb 4, 2005, 6:33:28 PM2/4/05
Hi Jeff,

Can you post the complete event with id number etcetera? Anything else in
the logs?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Jeff" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Jeff

Feb 23, 2005, 1:35:08 PM2/23/05
Application event
Time 8:43:53
Source ESENT
Event ID 215
User N/A

tcpsvcs (2576) The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the

client or the connection with the client failed.

System Event
Time 8:43:53
Source DhcpServer
Event ID 1014
User N/A

The following problem occurred with the Jet database -1032: Jet database
read or write operations failed. If the computer or database has just been
upgraded, then this message can be safely ignored. If this message appears
frequently, either there is not enough disk space to complete the operation
or the database or backup database may be corrupt. To correct this problem,
either free additional space on your hard disk or restore the database.
After you restore the database, ensure that conflict detection is enabled in
DHCP server properties. For information about restoring the database, see
Help and Support Center. Additional Debug Information: JetBackup.

System Event
Time 8:43:53
Source DhcpServer
Event ID 1014
User N/A

The DHCP service encountered the following error when backing up the
database:
An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the
DHCP server event log for more information on this error.

System Event
Time 8:43:53
Source DhcpServer
Event ID 1010
User N/A

The DHCP service encountered the following error while cleaning up the
database:
An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the
DHCP server event log for more information on this error.

Just before these sequence of events
an info log is recorded in the Application Event viewer
mostly but not always somthing to do with Norton AV.
With this info can is there somthing I might try or is this a hopeless case..

Thanks in advance
Jeff.

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Feb 23, 2005, 2:57:38 PM2/23/05
Hi Jeff,

I suspect a harddisk error. Run a thorough checkdisk on that partition.
Or you are av scanning several 'forbidden' folders like Exchange and the
DHCP system folders.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Jeff" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Jeff

Mar 5, 2005, 8:15:02 AM3/5/05
Well I tried everything you mentioned and I followed NAV's exclusions for all
3 types of scans. Nothing has changed. Thanks for your help by the way. Do
you know what program or service is trying to do a backup and what it is
backing up? with this information:

tcpsvcs (2612) The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the
client or the connection with the client failed.

perhaps I could then force a backup and know sooner if my changes are doing
any good.

Thanks again

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Mar 5, 2005, 8:28:39 AM3/5/05
Hi Jeff,

I have seen that error once on a SBS 2000 that used Arcserve to backup. In
the end I did an offline defrag of the Exchange database and after that
never saw that error again.
Have you tried completely shutting down AV on the server (the file scanning
part)?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"Jeff" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Mar 10, 2005, 12:48:26 PM3/10/05
Hi Jeff,

Great. I would only use the AV filescanning on certain folders of a server.

--

> Well progress is being made. I have disabled Norton AV realtime protection
> and have not seen the errors appear yet. only once but that was because I
> missed the Enable after xx minutes under the advanced button. That feature
> needs some re-thought! you would expect that when you un-enable something
it
> is permanently disabled. doh!
>
> Anyway I will post Nav's response if they resolve my dilema.
> Thanks again for all your help

Jeff

François Miermont

Mar 30, 2005, 7:19:02 AM3/30/05

I have exactly the same problem on my 2003 std. But I haven't any AV
program. The server is DC with Exchange 2003 on it.

Can't find the way to solve this out.

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Mar 30, 2005, 10:30:30 AM3/30/05
Hi Francois,

Please post the ipconfig/all from the server. What 3rd party programs are
installed on the server? Standard or Premium? How are you connecting to the
internet?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"François Miermont" <fmiermont[at]netfinances.fr> schreef in bericht

François Miermont

Mar 30, 2005, 10:47:03 AM3/30/05
Here is ipconfig /all :

Configuration IP de Windows

Nom de l'hôte . . . . . . . . . . : ANDERSON
Suffixe DNS principal . . . . . . : netfinances.fr
Type de noud . . . . . . . . . . : Hybride
Routage IP activé . . . . . . . . : Non
Proxy WINS activé . . . . . . . . : Non
Liste de recherche du suffixe DNS.: netfinances.fr

Carte Ethernet Intranet Intel :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Server
Adapter

Adresse physique . . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-0C-62-90-02
DHCP activé. . . . . . . . . . . . : Non
Adresse IP. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.40
Masque de sous-réseau . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Passerelle par défaut . . . . . . :
Serveurs DNS . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.40
192.168.1.41

Carte Ethernet Internet Broadcom :

Suffixe DNS propre à la connexion :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit
Ethernet

Adresse physique . . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-5A-2B-1A
DHCP activé. . . . . . . . . . . . : Non
Adresse IP. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.75.40
Masque de sous-réseau . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Passerelle par défaut . . . . . . : 192.168.75.1
Serveurs DNS . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.40

List of programs :
-Exchange 2003
-GFI MailSecurity/MailEssential
-Visual SourceSafe

The server is connected to internet with the NIC Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit
Ethernet (192.168.75.40), but the AD's clients are on the 192.168.1.0 network
(the other NIC).

As this errors occured every hour, I decided to uninstall DHCP server,
delete the content of Windows/System32/dhcp directory, reinstall DHCP and
configure it.

Since then (2 hours), I don't have any error. But I don't think it's a real
good solution !

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Mar 30, 2005, 5:07:11 PM3/30/05
Hi Francois,

DNS on the servernics should **only** point to the serverIP. You are missing
WINS on the internal nic.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

"François Miermont" <fmiermont[at]netfinances.fr> schreef in bericht

François Miermont

Mar 31, 2005, 2:49:02 AM3/31/05
What do you mean with "DNS on the servernics should **only** point to the
serverIP" ?

SuperGumby [SBS MVP]

Mar 31, 2005, 3:02:42 AM3/31/05
umm, that all members of an Active Directory domain, including the DC's
themself, should point _only_ to an AD integrated DNS server for DNS
resolution. The AD integrated DNS server can then either use root hints or
forwarders to satisfy queries outside the AD.

If you have a two NIC setup your external NIC should look _only_ to your
internal NIC for DNS.

"François Miermont" <fmiermont[at]netfinances.fr> wrote in message

François Miermont

Mar 31, 2005, 3:31:05 AM3/31/05
Okay, so you mean that the "Carte Ethernet Internet Broadcom" should not have
any DNS server specified ?

For my internal NIC ("Carte Ethernet Intranet Intel"), the 192.168.1.41 is
the IP of the secondary DC with an AD DNS.

SuperGumby [SBS MVP]

Mar 31, 2005, 6:02:20 AM3/31/05
is that 2nd DC running DNS Server?
if so is the DNS Server on the 2nd DC properly updating with the DNS peer on
SBS?
Is DNS Server even installed on both? (it's possible to introduce a DC to an
AD with an existing DNS Server in which case it will not automagically
install)

You've made what I consider a fundamental mistake in your config by giving
your AD a DNS name which is the same as your internet FQDN, this can only be
fixed by 'format C:'. Though the actual SOA for your internet FQDN is
'netfinances.fr. 86400 SOA dns.ovh.net' you are trying to 'fool' your local
network to believe it is SOA.

Unless your DHCP and DNS services are configured correctly machines on your
LAN _may_ not be registering in the AD DNS correctly.

THE IMPORTANT STUFF:

ANDERSON.netfinances.fr is your SBS. Correct?
Is ANDERSON running DNS Sever?
Is ANDERSON supplying DHCP to your LAN clients?

"François Miermont" <fmiermont[at]netfinances.fr> wrote in message

François Miermont

Mar 31, 2005, 7:29:01 AM3/31/05
Ok, here is a little summary. First of all, I'm very sorry but all my servers
are windows 2003 server standart, not SBS. I know this NG is not for server
edition, but this thread is the only one I had given with the research tools.
I didn't found the same problem on other NG.

So :
-I know that my AD DNS name is not a good choice, but I didn't take this
decision :(
-Anderson is a DC with DNS (installed with dcpromo), WINS and DHCP for my
LAN clients. Initially, the KDC error was logged here.
-Cypher is the secondary DC with DNS, updating with the dns of anderson (if
I had an entry on cypher DNS, i can see it on Anderson a few minutes later).

Unless your DHCP and DNS services are configured correctly machines on your
LAN _may_ not be registering in the AD DNS correctly.

-> How can I check this ?

Jeff

May 14, 2005, 9:44:02 AM5/14/05
Opps I spoke too soon They are back. I know that when I removed veritas BE
the errors went away. I am going to try to use the built in backup and
restore features of SBS2003 I hope it has restore to a different location
feature.

"Jeff" wrote:

> Well Finnally I beleive I have resolved this issue by removing the backup
> selection of the dhcp and wins files in our veritas backup jobs and doing a
> check disk fix on both drive volumes.

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

May 15, 2005, 9:34:23 PM5/15/05
Hi Jeff,

Yes, you can restore to a different location with SBS Backup.

--
Regards,

Marina Roos

Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's

www.smallbizserver.net
Take part in SBS forum:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53

"Jeff" <Je...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

StoreThomas

Jun 29, 2005, 11:35:03 AM6/29/05
Hi Jeff!

Did you ever solve your problem?

I'm having the exact same problem. Newly installed W2K3 Std. server.
Exchange 2003 Ent., Back Exec 10 and Trend Micro Office Scan installed.

I've tried disabling the OfficeScan but that didn't solve the problem. the
events keep appearing.

So if you solved your problem please let me know :)

Best Regards
Thomas
Denmark

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Jun 30, 2005, 6:24:59 AM6/30/05
This thread is old, so you don't might get much response. But removing the
3rd party backup program will do the trick. Or excluding the several folders
in \system32. Did you check the Veritas website?

--
Regards,

Marina Roos
Microsoft SBS-MVP
One of the Magical M&M's
www.smallbizserver.net
Take part in SBS forum:
http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53

"StoreThomas" <Store...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

StoreThomas

Jun 30, 2005, 9:13:02 AM6/30/05
Yes I did, but I didn't find any help there. I might post a question though ;)

Thanx for your reply.

Best Regards
Thomas

Jeff

Jul 13, 2005, 8:31:06 AM7/13/05
StoreThomas,
I have just recently tried truning off the Indexing service which we had to
install for the Microsoft CRM program ver1.2 we no longer used it so I took
it off but forgot about the Indexing service. So far it has ben a week and I
have not received an error yet :) and I have both Veritas BE and Symantec AV
running. Have you solved yours yet?

Good Luck
Jeff

StoreThomas

Jul 14, 2005, 2:38:02 AM7/14/05
Hi Jeff!

Thanks for your answer :)

No I haven't solved it yet. I must admit though that it havn't had that high
a priority the last few weeks since itøs not a critical error and I've also
been working on other servers for other customers.

You write the indexind service. I'm not at the server at the moment so is
that the full name "Indexing Service"?

I'm not that into what that service does (well - index of course). Can it be
turned off safely in most cases? This is a std 2003 with exchange enterprise
on top and no sql installed apart from a MSDE installation.

Best Regards
Thomas

Jeff

Jul 14, 2005, 7:38:05 AM7/14/05
StoreThomas,

I don't know what affect turning off Indexing service will do in your case
but I know that I had to add it through the Add remove windows components it
was not installed on the standard installation. Knowing this it must not be
essential to the operation of the OS. We are running SBS2003 service pack 1
with most of its features except the proxy stuff. I thought I solved this
problem by removing the Veritas BE stuff but it came back. The only reason I
tried the Indexing service was the fact that I did not start getting these
dhcp errors until after I installed that CRM package. Anyway things have been
running fine with out it so we'll see.