Re: NTBACKUP Problem

john doe

Feb 24, 2006, 2:55:43 PM2/24/06
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/8fe5f6e8bced8b4b/c4cc0474d9164f2a?lnk=st&q=error+returned+while+creating+the+volume+shadow+copy%3A80042308&rnum=2#c4cc0474d9164f2a

"Adam Selene" <AdamS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have a clue what this means?
>
> "error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042308"
>
> What caused it? How to fix it?
>
> TIA

Adam Selene

Feb 25, 2006, 1:50:20 PM2/25/06
Since none of the symptoms seemed to match exactly, what I did was
to increase the volume shadow copy space allocation by 25% and
manually ran the backup using the selections from the script. THAT
worked.

What's troubling to me is that there were numerous shadow copies on
that volume and none of them was "sacrificed" to accomodate the backup
run.

Does this mean that periodically, one has to go in and manually
remove shadow copies to make room for NTBACKUP in the volume
shadow copy area? That doesn't make much sense to me. Seems like a
high-maintenance operation.

To make matters worse, this was a real "sleeper" problem. After
almost eighteen (18) months of SBS 2003 Premium Edition operation, it
suddenly can't make scheduled backups!

Is there a fix for this situation? I've read various threads and some
of them mention a "hotfix" that's available but I'm not sure it
addresses my specific situation.

I have three USB External HDD's connected to the SBS server for use as
backup drives. One (300GB) was configured for use by the Backup
Wizard with a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule. The other two
(160GB each) were configured manually with one used on Tuesday and the
other used on Thursday.

Thursday's backup was the first one to fail with a volume shadow copy
return error code of 80042308. Again, this one was manually
scheduled.

Friday's backup was the second one to fail with a volume shadow copy
return error code of 800423F2. Again, this one was scheduled by the
Backup Wizard and runs under control of the "Small Business Backup
Script.bks" script.

So how long can my work-around be expected to last before I have to do
something similar again?

--
AS

--