"Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message When You Use Ntbackup.exe"

Ian J

Dec 5, 2005, 4:32:59 AM12/5/05
I'm having intermitent errors using NTBACKUP.EXE on a Windows 2003 SBS SP1
server.

This seems to be well covered in MS Article: 817688
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817688
I previously applied this patch, but having installed SP1 the problem has
returned. I tried to re-apply the patch, but the hotfix package detected
SP1 and wouldn't install.

The article has the following file information
Date Time Version Size File name
31-Mar-2003 19:15 5.2.3790.2 1,167,872 Ntbackup.exe

My SBS SP1 server has NTbackup version lower than this patch, although the
modified date is later.
Date: 24/3/2005 version of 5.2.3790.1830

The error logged is:
Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Bad data.
There may be a hardware or media problem.
Please check the system event log for relevant failures.
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 04/12/2005 at 23:19.
Directories: 8211
Files: 77579
Time: 1 hour, 58 minutes, and 4 seconds

Error: D: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

I've done all the usual routine maintenance activities, changed tapes, used
a cleaning tape, checked for tape drive driver updates.
The server is a HP DL380 with a HP (Quantum) SDLT tape drive.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ian

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 5, 2005, 9:32:42 PM12/5/05
Hi Ian,

Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup. I'm glad to working with you
again.

My sincerest apologies for the delay in responding due to high post volume,
thanks for the understanding.

According to your description, I understand that you received the error
message "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" when you are using
Ntbackup.exe in the SBS 2003 SP1 Server. If I have misunderstood the
problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.

To narrow down this issue, please kindly answer and perform the following
questions and steps:

1. First of all, please kindly help me make sure the HP (Quantum) SDLT
tape drive in the Microsoft HCL and there is no compatible issue.

Storage, Tape Drives
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/server/default.aspx?subID=22&xslt=c
ategoryProduct&pgn=8a856b6f-a091-4b65-82c4-8de36550d285

2. What the backup method are you using? Just run normal NTbackup or
configure a backup task from SBS Backup wizard in Server Management?

3. Please use normal NTbackup to backup your server directly on your hard
disk, what''s the result?

4. Would you please check if the media has the enough space for the backup
content.

840754 Backups on Windows Small Business Server 2003 may use more backup
media
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=840754

5. I have checked my testing machine SBS 2003 Standard SP1, the version of
Ntbackup.exe is also "5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)".

If the issue persists, please kindly help me collect the following
information for further analysis:

1. If the problem persists, please save your recent application log and
system log as .evt files and send them to me at v-na...@microsoft.com for
further troubleshooting.

a. Click Start -> Run, type EVENTVWR.MSC and click OK.
b. Select the Application Event log, right click it and select "Save Log
File As"
c. Save it as .evt file and email to me.
d. Export System Event Log too.
e. Compress and email me with the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Support folder.

2. If you using NTBackup, please gather backupxx.log files in the folder
"C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data"; if you using SBS Backup wizard,
please gather Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the
folder "%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs".

To get additional detailed information, you may refer to the following
document:

NTBackup
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/2b8c47c9-a769-46d2-9e26-f4d16f0261f8.mspx

Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/d/8/bd8e1a40-d202-429a-8eb7-26300d6
2bcc9/BKU_bkuprstr.doc

Backup fails on a computer that is running Small Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=830575

Best practices for Backup
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serve
rHelp/9f772381-c627-4c82-bf34-b4e4e05dbe0d.mspx

817688 "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message When You
Use
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817688

I appreciate your time and cooperation. If anything is unclear, please feel
free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Nathan Liu (MSFT)
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "Ian J" <sbssu...@itsupp.co.uk>
>Subject: "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message When
You Use Ntbackup.exe"
>Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:32:59 -0000
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Ian J

Dec 6, 2005, 4:02:56 AM12/6/05
Thanks again Nathan
The device is on the HCA.
I've updated the drivers from HP - currently testing.
I'll send you my log files after today's test if the problem persisits.

There is definately enough space on the tape.

Backup method is configured from SBS Backup wizard in Server Management

You quoted this KB article, which I had already found, see my first post

817688 "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message When You
Use http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817688

I had previously applied this patch and it appeared to resolve my problems,
however post SP1 the patch will not re-install.
Its also not recorded as being for SBS2003 - I tried to obtain it again
yesterday and was denied access to it by Microsoft operator, becuase SBS2003
is not listed on the "Applies to"

""Nathan Liu [MSFT]"" <v-na...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 7, 2005, 2:12:33 AM12/7/05
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your kind update.

Based on my research, The problem could be caused by any of the following:

· Driver not compatible with Windows 2003 SP1.

· RSM database corruption.

· Backup tape needs to be cleaned.

Suggestion

1. As you mentioned, you are using the SBS Backup Wizard in the Server
Management. Please also try to run SBS Backup Wizard to backup Server to
local hard drive. Could this issue be reproduced? Can the backup be
successfully performed by Ntbackup (utilizing the BKS file created by the
wizard)?

2. Disable the Exchange writer by editing the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Parameters
System: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838183, does the backup work?

3. Clean the tape, and then go to RSM to mark the tape as 'Clean'. Can
the backup run successfully then? We've seen some issues that the Windows
service pack 1 does not recognize the media until the tape drive was
"cleaned" (or marked as clean).

4. Uninstall the tape drive and remove it from the libraries, and then
scan the computer for the hardware changes. Once the hardware is detected,
reinstall the latest driver.

5. Check if there's an updated driver and firmware for the device, if
so, apply it.

6. Rebuild the RSM database by following the steps:

1) Stop the RSM Service.
2) Delete the RSM databases located at %SystemRoot%\System32\NtmsData.
3) Restart the RSM Service, this will recreate new, empty RSM Databases.
4) Put a new tape in, or a tape that may be deleted.
5) Go to the "properties" of the disk inside the physical locations.
Uncheck 'Enable Drive' Hit apply & then check the 'Enable Drive' again
6) Right click, and prepare.
This will delete it, write a media label to it, add it to the Free Media
Pool.

7. Can you successfully access the Backup snap-in in the SBS Management
console, if not, repair the backup web page by using the steps outlined in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842693.

If the issue still persists, please help me collect more information for
further troubleshooting:

1. Compress and email me with the C:\program files\Microsoft windows small
business server\support folder.

2. Compress and email me with the C:\program files\Microsoft
Integration\Windows Small Business Server 2003\Logs folder
You can send the files to me at v-na...@microsoft.com

3. Please gather backupxx.log files in the folder C:\Documents and

Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows

NT\NTBackup\data.

Best regards,

>Subject: Re: "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message
When You Use Ntbackup.exe"
>Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:02:56 -0000

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 9, 2005, 4:27:40 AM12/9/05
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your email.

Please feel free to take your time to perform other troubleshooting steps
and testing, if the issue occurs again, please kindly gather the recent log
files for further research.

I appreciate your time and cooperation. Please do not hesitate to let me
know if you have any further concerns, I am looking forward to hearing from
you.

Have a nice weekend!

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 13, 2005, 4:47:59 AM12/13/05
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your quick update.

As this issue, the main error in the log we could find is the following
lines.

Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Bad data.

Currently, since we have properly done SBS backup for the last few days,
this issue is not clear as it could also be something related with
hardware. To isolate this issue, I would suggest following action plan.

1. Please perform a test to backup your server to the local hard drive. Is
there any issue?

2. Please try to change another known good Tape.

3. Please use the diagnostic utility coming from the Tape device and
ensure the tape device is functioning correctly. If possible, please try to
use another Tape Device.

4. If you use normal NT backup with the SBS backup script, please check if
this issue could be reproduced.
a.) Click Start, click Run, type ntbackup, and then press Enter. The
Backup or Restore Wizard launches.
b.) On the Welcome to the Backup or Restore Wizard page, click
Advanced Mode.
c.) Click the Backup tab. From the Job menu, choose Load Selections.
d.) In the File Name box type %sbsprogramdir%\backup.
e.) Click Small Business Backup Script.bks to select, and click
Open. On the Backup tab, click Start Backup.
f.) Can the problem be reproduced?

5. Do you see any relevant error in event log?

6. I also found the following information in the backup log: "Error: D: is
not a valid drive, or you do not have access." and "Backup (via shadow
copy) of "D: Data", please perform the following steps to check if the
issue can be reproduced:

1) The error means that there may have corrupted data on the D drive or
the backup cannot access the D drive. I suggest you open a command prompt
and do a chkdsk against the D drive:

CHKDSK D: /f

Then restart the server to get the command run.

2) If we disable ''Shadow Copy'' on the D drive, does the SBS backup run
smoothly? To disable ''Shadow Copy'', go to My Computer, right-click D:,
Properties, Shadow Copies tab. How many folder listed? If Shadow Copy is
enabled on any of the folders, ''Disable'' them. After that please do a
backup again.

If you have any questions or concerns related to this issue, please let me
know.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Ian J

Dec 13, 2005, 5:10:02 PM12/13/05
Have rebooted server following another update of the tape driver from the
Windows update site, thats 2 updated drivers in 2 weeks - has Microsoft
recognised a problem ?
Backup is running over night now, on a different tape. I will know tomorrow
if it was successful.

I don't have enough free disk space to do a complete backup to disk - 90G
disk with 20G free. Previous smaller backup jobs to disk have worked ok.
I've download the diags utility for the tape drive, have scanned the drive,
discovered no firmware to update but have not run the diags yet, will do
tomorrow.

Event log shows "The device, \Device\Tape0, has a bad block."
I have seen this before and its been a misleading error - maybe this time
its actually acurate - I hope so!

Thanks for the help so far.

""Nathan Liu [MSFT]"" <v-na...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 14, 2005, 4:22:57 AM12/14/05
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your kind update.

1. As you mentioned, you have installed two updated drivers, let's
continue monitoring it to check if the issue can be reproduced. I
appreciate your time and patience.

2. As you mentioned, you have downloaded the diagnostic utility coming
from the Tape device, please feel free to take your time to perform the
diagnostic steps and then check the result of diagnosis.

3. As the Event log shows "The device, \Device\Tape0, has a bad block",
please kindly note all removable-media devices are handled by Removable
Storage Manager (RSM). Unless the tape device or other removable-media
device is recognized by RSM, Windows programs (such as Backup and Remote
Storage Server) cannot use the device.

You may try the follow and see if it helps:

a. Remove the drive from Device management.
b. Remove the drive from RSM.
c. Scan for new hardware in Device management.
d. It should turn up in RSM a bit later.

<Og9JdMl#FHA...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>
<dPZud2v#FHA....@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>
<P8bgQLK$FHA....@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>
<zPFLRp8$FHA....@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: Re: "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message
When You Use Ntbackup.exe"

>Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:10:02 -0000

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Ian J

Dec 14, 2005, 4:23:38 PM12/14/05
Last nights backup worked with the new driver.
I'm willing to put the previous failure down to a bad block on the tape and
hope the problem doesn't recur with any more tapes.
We've had that many intermittent problems recently I was reluctant to blame
a tape less than 12 months old, used once a week since Feb 2005.
I guess I'm just paranoid !

Thanks for all the help.
Ian

""Nathan Liu [MSFT]"" <v-na...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 14, 2005, 8:53:26 PM12/14/05
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your kind update.

I appreciate your time and patience, considering the current condition,
let's continue monitoring the backup result when we are using other tapes.
If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue,
please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance. :-)

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further concerns, I
am looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

<O#t6uIDA...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>
<k$L57$IAGHA...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: Re: "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message
When You Use Ntbackup.exe"

>Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:23:38 -0000

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Ian J

Dec 21, 2005, 4:08:34 AM12/21/05
For information - things have settled down somewhat.
There are still ocasional failures, but I have had 4 out of 5 successful
backups.
Yesterday's backup failed due to bad block on tape, re-running on a
different tape worked ok.

I'm now going to replace the tapes that are failing with bad blocks and see
how we go from there.

Thanks for the help
Ian

""Nathan Liu [MSFT]"" <v-na...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 21, 2005, 5:17:00 AM12/21/05
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your kind update.

Considering the current condition, let's continue monitoring the further
backup result.

<#L5DLVPA...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>
<jQ#SYpRAG...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: Re: "Error on a Request to Write Data to Media" Error Message
When You Use Ntbackup.exe"

>Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:08:34 -0000

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Dec 25, 2005, 9:49:07 PM12/25/05
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your kind update.

First of all, my sincerest apologies for the delay in responding due to
weekend, thanks for the understanding.

Please kindly note the partner managed newsgroups are staffed weekdays by
Microsoft Support professionals. Our goal is to provide a one business day
response to all posts.

For time critical issues (not business down), we encourage you to contact
CSS directly for more immediate assistance:
International Support (non-US/Canada):
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

US and Canada:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone

Please do not hesitate to post in this great newsgroup if you need any
assistance in the future. I look forward to working with you again.