RE: Fatal Error Installing XPsv2 Deployment for SBS sv1 Upgrade

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 2, 2005, 2:51:31 AM11/2/05
Hi

Thanks for posting here!

Based on my research, the issue may occur if the information regarding
location of the Clientapps folder is incorrect in the registry. Please
perform the following steps to see if the problem can be resolved:

1. Open Registry Editor.
2. Point to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\clientsetup

3. By default, "ClientAppsRoot"="C:\ClientApps". If you moved the
Clientapps to other folders or partition, please modify it and then reboot
the machine.

And also please follow steps to uninstall fax services to prepare SBS
deploy Windows XP SP2 to client computers that are running Windows XP
Professional:

1. Schedule a down time.
2. Open Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs, and then launch SBS
Integrate Setup program.
3. Uninstall Fax Service via SBS Setup using component Selection screen,
set the Action to Uninstall for the Fax Service.
4. Follow the instructions to finish the rest steps.
5. Open Registry Editor, rename the following keys and files to *.old:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Fax
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\fax
C:\Winnt\FaxSetup.log

6. Reboot the server
7. Install the SP1 again.
8. After that, we can reinstall Fax service back.

Detail information:
884032 Update is available for the Windows Small Business Server 2003 Client
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884032

Try to test to see if the issue be fixed.

If the problem still exists, please help me gather the following
information for further research:

1. For Windows Server 2003 SP1 installation failure: C:\Windows\svcpack.log.

2. For SharePoint Services SP1 installation:
%temp%\Ohotfix\OHotfix(0000x).log and OHotfix(0000x)_Msi.log.

3. For Exchange Server 2003 SP1 installation failure: C:\Exchange Server
Setup Progress.log

4. For Windows XP SP2 for Client Deployment failure:
C:\Windows\KB891193.log.

5. For Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1 failure:

a) C:\Windows\KB885918.log
b) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small Business Server
2003\Logs

I appreciate your time and look forward to your reply. I am glad to be
further assistance!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<trave...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Fatal Error Installing XPsv2 Deployment for SBS sv1 Upgrade
>Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:21:07 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>
>Server 2003 sv1 went fine, can't install SBS sv1 until this XP2 deployment
>package gets installed. It seems to be there in add/remove programs and
the
>folder is in Client Deployment, but the SBS sv1 package says it's not
there.
>Trying to reinstall the XP2 deployment package fails with a fatal error
and
>no more detail.
>
>Please help

traveladmin

Nov 7, 2005, 10:29:03 PM11/7/05
No luck. enclosing xp2 deployment log portion:

[KB891193.log]
1.078:
1.078: 2005/10/31 23:02:25.125 (local)
1.078: f:\ac74d7ef9af432dfe85627522e\update\update.exe (version 6.1.22.4)
1.281: DoInstallation: GetProcAddress(InitializeCustomizationDLL) Returned:
0x7f
1.281: Hotfix started with following command line:
1.484: CreateUserInterface: GetProcAddress for DefineInstallCustomUI
failed: 0x7f
1.625: Return Value From IsSbs2003 = 1
1.625: IsSbs2003 returned value( 0x1 ) which is Equal To 0x1
1.625: Condition succeeded for section ChkSBS.Section in Line 1 of
PreRequisite
12.953: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11660, RegOpenKeyEx failed with
error 0x2
12.953: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11692, RegOpenKeyEx failed with
error 0x2
12.953: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
12.984: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IL
13.000: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
13.234: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for
f:\ac74d7ef9af432dfe85627522e\update\update.inf failed
13.234: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halmacpi.dll failed:
0xe0000102
13.234: BuildCabinetManifest: update.url absent
13.234: Starting AnalyzeComponents
13.234: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks
13.250: OEM file scan used 0 ticks
13.344: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 110 ticks
13.344: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.
13.344: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.
14.109: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 765 ticks
14.109: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
14.109: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks
14.109: AnalyzePhaseSix used 0 ticks
925.328: AnalyzeComponents used 912094 ticks
925.328: Downloading 0 files
925.328: bPatchMode = FALSE
925.328: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 912094 ticks
926.125: CreateUninstall = 0,Directory = C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB891193$
926.125: Num Ticks for invent : 912891
926.125: Allocation size of drive C: is 4096 bytes, free space = 4206944256
bytes
926.141: Drive C: free 4012MB req: 8MB w/uninstall 0MB
926.141: CabinetBuild complete
926.141: Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 16
926.141: DynamicStrings section not defined or empty.
926.141: FileInUse:: need to restart already, turn off
927.281: Registering Uninstall Program for -> KB891193, KB891193 , 0x0
927.297: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halmacpi.dll failed:
0xe0000102
927.406: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spmsg.dll
927.438: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.
928.328: GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version information from
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\KB891193.cat with error 0x57
938.641: KB891193 Setup encountered an error: KB891193 Setup
938.766: Copied file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business
Server\ClientSetup\Clients\Setup\AppLnch.exe
939.203: KB891193 Setup encountered an error: KB891193 Setup
939.297: Copied file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Integration\Windows Small
Business Server 2003\SBSComp.dll
940.156: DoInstallation: Installing assemblies with source root path:
f:\ac74d7ef9af432dfe85627522e\
1888.547: DoInstallation: CustomizeCall failed : 0x643
1895.109: Fatal error during installation.
2214.047: Message displayed to the user: Fatal error during installation.
2214.047: User Input: OK
2214.078: KB891193 installation did not complete.

Small Business Server 2003 has been partially updated and may not work
properly.
2219.453: Message displayed to the user: KB891193 installation did not
complete.

Small Business Server 2003 has been partially updated and may not work
properly.
2219.453: User Input: OK
2219.453: Update.exe extended error code = 0x643
2219.453: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action
compliance.

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 8, 2005, 8:26:24 AM11/8/05

Thanks for your update!

Based on the installation log and my research, all errors except the
following ones are able to be safely ignored.

324.891: DoInstallation: CustomizeCall failed : 0x643
325.547: Fatal error during installation.
343.063: Message displayed to the user: Fatal error during installation.
343.063: User Input: OK
343.063: KB891193 installation did not complete.

Small Business Server 2003 has been partially updated and may not work
properly.

347.953: Message displayed to the user: KB891193 installation did not
complete.

Small Business Server 2003 has been partially updated and may not work
properly.

347.953: User Input: OK
347.953: Update.exe extended error code = 0x643
347.953: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action
compliance.

However, 0x643 error means "Installation Failure". In this scenario, the
error log shows nothing to us. At this point, please understand that we may
have to take some time to troubleshoot this issue.

For your xp2 deployment log, I find you have moved the folder ClientApps to
another location. I suggest you carefully refer to the following KB to
check if permissions and others are configured properly:

How to move the client programs folder to another location in Windows Small
Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830254

And then try to test to see if the issue be fixed. If the issue persists, I
suggest you try follow suggestions to try to trouble shoot the issue:

Info 1.

Please perform a Clean Boot and check whether the problem persists.

1. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter
2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable
All third party Services.
3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items
4. Click OK and choose Restart
5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs

Info 2.

Please use SUBINACL tool to make sure that there's no permission limitation.

1. Download and install subinacl from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-
93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

2. Create a file named reset.cmd in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
Kits\Tools folder.

3. Edit the reset.cmd file with the following content.

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

4. Enter into CMD prompt.

5. Enter the following commands one at a time and click Enter.

cd\
cd "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
reset.cmd

6. After a few minutes by processing subinacl, please test the problem
again.

[Note] As a quick work around, I'd like to provide the following info for
your reference:

If you've already installed XP SP2 on all client computers, you can follow
the steps below to avoid installing 891193. If some of the client computers
have not installed XP SP2, please dismiss the following info.

1. Download and install 872769 on the SBS machine.

Update for Windows Small Business Server 2003: KB 872769
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d70097c2-4317-40e0-
b7da-feb52c6b6386&displaylang=en

2. Follow the instruction in the following KB's "Update installation
instructions" section to prepare XP SP2.

Update is available for the Windows Small Business Server 2003 Client Setup
feature to deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 to Windows XP
Professional-based clients
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884032#XSLTH3142121122120121120120

3. Download and install 884032 on the SBS machine.

Update for Windows Small Business Server 2003: KB 884032
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F72FDD-6D82-4C2B-
8078-114460826A40&displaylang=en

4. Skip 891193 and install SBS SP1 885918.

Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/0/f/e0fee8ce-768d-41c0-8871-9bc48e0
b3fc3/SBS2003-KB885918-SP1-X86-ENU.EXE

I hope the above info helps. I am happy to be assistance of you and look
forward to your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

>thread-index: AcXkFJFJoHewnyN7R/KB6A1a2ZRhmA==

>From: "=?Utf-8?B?dHJhdmVsYWRtaW4=?="
<trave...@discussions.microsoft.com>

>Subject: RE: Fatal Error Installing XPsv2 Deployment for SBS sv1 Upgrade
>Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:29:03 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

traveladmin

Nov 10, 2005, 9:58:22 AM11/10/05
Jenny:

Tried things and had no luck but then realized that there was another issue
as I tried to stop services that weren't Microsoft and get a weird need to be
an admin error. I wasn't using the orginal admin account so I logged in as
that and was able to run 4092 and then SBS svp1. Now it looks fine except the
add computer wizard in the console no longer works. Haven't noticed any other
errors elsewise (although I know I need to reinstall the fax but no one is
using that currently) Ideas?

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 11, 2005, 7:14:55 AM11/11/05

Thanks for your update! I am glad to know that things are getting fine
now. I appreciate your time and effort to try my suggestions and get the
resolved.

Have you Rerun CEICW wizard to refresh network connection? If not, please
perform it to test if the add computer wizard works.

I suggest you refer to KB 825763 to configure the network connection:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

1. If the issue persists, could you tell me the accurate error message? And
also please help me collect a screen shot when reproduce the issue.

To make a screen shot:
A. Press Alt + Pr Scrn to capture a screen shot.
B. From Start, go to Run, enter pbrush in the Open box, and then click OK.
C. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.
D. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file.

2. Could you find related error event in Event Viewer (Start ->
Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) in the SBS server box? If yes, please
paste the detail error information in the newsgroup or mail to me.

Please mail me the screen shot at v-ya...@microsoft.com

<73FD2321-BE49-46D4...@microsoft.com>
<MQKnIgG5...@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Fatal Error Installing XPsv2 Deployment for SBS sv1 Upgrade

>Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:58:22 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

traveladmin

Nov 12, 2005, 10:57:02 AM11/12/05
n't add a computer via the Server Managment snapin. This worked fine up until
this upgrade. You can go to Active Directory and add a computer so the issue
might not be that bad. Still would like to fix it though.

Thanks.

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 14, 2005, 6:41:55 AM11/14/05

Thanks for your update!

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

Yes, I agree with you. I am glad to continue work with you the add computer
wizard issue. To trouble shoot the issue, I need more information, could
you help me collect them?

1. Please try to Rerun CEICW wizard to refresh network connection. And then

test if the add computer wizard works.

It is recommended that you refer to KB 825763 to configure the network
connection:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

2. If the issue persists, could you tell me the accurate error message when
you run the Add computer wizard? And also please help me collect a screen

shot when reproduce the issue.

To make a screen shot:
A. Press Alt + Pr Scrn to capture a screen shot.
B. From Start, go to Run, enter pbrush in the Open box, and then click OK.
C. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.
D. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file.

3. Could you find related error event in Event Viewer (Start ->
Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) on the SBS server box? If yes, please

paste the detail error information in the newsgroup or mail to me.

To save a text copy of Application /System log:

A. Open Event Viewer: Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools ->
Event Viewer.
B. Right-click on Application/System log and select "Save Log File As?".

Please mail me information at v-ya...@microsoft.com

I am happy to be further assistance and look forward to your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

<E100D172-04D2-4418...@microsoft.com>
<zj4tImr5...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Fatal Error Installing XPsv2 Deployment for SBS sv1 Upgrade

>Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 07:57:02 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 30, 2005, 5:28:36 AM11/30/05
Hi Gregg,

Thanks for your post back. I do understand your concern. I appreciate your
efforts to the issue.

Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support
professionals to answer your non-urgent, break/fix systems and applications
questions. Our goal is to provide 24 hour response to all questions.

For time critical issues (not business down), we encourage you to contact
CSS directly for more immediate assistance:
International Support (non-US/Canada):
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

US and Canada:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone

To continue working with me in the newsgroups, please see the following:

1. Please reproduce the add computer wizard issue and collect a screen shot
for analyze.

To make a screen shot:
A. Press Alt + Pr Scrn to capture a screen shot.
B. From Start, go to Run, enter pbrush in the Open box, and then click OK.
C. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.
D. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file.

2. Please reproduce the add user wizard issue and catch a screen shot for
me.

3. Please collect the following log files for analyze:

1). C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Support
2). To save a text copy of Application /System log:

A. Open Event Viewer: Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools ->
Event Viewer.
B. Right-click on Application/System log and select "Save Log File As?".

Please compress all log files to a zip file and mail me at
v-ya...@microsoft.com

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

The partner mail content:
===================
enny:
Since 11/14 I haven't conversed with you. Not only can't we run the add
computer wizard, we can no longer use the add user wizard.
The bosses are extremely upset and blame me, yet I've been administering
SBS boxes since day one and I feel let down.
Can you please help me resolve this ASAP? There are no errors in the event
logs and everything else works fine
Thanks,
Gregg

<D198DD12-7401-4C2A...@microsoft.com>

>From: v-ya...@online.microsoft.com ("Jenny wu [MSFT]")
>Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:41:55 GMT

>Subject: RE: Fatal Error Installing XPsv2 Deployment for SBS sv1 Upgrade

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Mar 5, 2006, 11:34:36 PM3/5/06
The last part of the SBS patch should be done under the "built in account".